Originally Posted by amr40509
Just for fun - Today's answer from the dealer....
"It is my understanding that all EcoDiesels that were produced are having 100% inspected and driven on a test course for calibration of the transmission to the diesel. All are being individually inspected."
I know I'm beating a dead horse now, but as I said earlier - I think Jeep is setting themselves up for some continued lumps by handing out this line because we "know" (or at least think we know) that this isn't happening - at least not the way they make it sound. So when people get their "100% inspection, individually inspected" vehicles and find problems, it's going to be a whole different level of angry than normal.
Originally Posted by jdixon04
The emissions delay doesn't really make sense to me. I just can't see how this could be something that would just pop up near the date in which these things were supposed to be released. When they decided to put a diesel in both of these vehicles, you would assume that they confirmed that VM Motori can produce a motor that meets US emissions standards. Does not compute.
Well, we do "know" that at least part of the delay was
the emissions. They didn't get the CARB approval until 10/3. And reading between the lines, it sounds like Chrysler had expected a more favorable result and/or easier time with CARB than what they ended up with.
Originally Posted by ExcursionDiesel
If they discovered that "recalibration" = 180hp is required to pass CARB and they are now detuning all the NAFTA CRDs....ugh. This jibes with the info on VM's website.
I highly doubt that's going to happen. I suspect we're going to be getting the 240/420 that was advertised. It sounded to me (reading the CARB EO) more like they were meeting emission levels, but there were issues with the OBD2 monitors/programming/etc. If that's the case, it wouldn't require detuning to pass.
Originally Posted by J Pillo
I received an email from what I consider to be a reliable source. Here is an excerpt:
"We are awaiting clearance from the homologating body which is now expected on October 25th. This is needed prior to shipment of your car. "
This sounds like the most plausible answer we've gotten so far. Based on everything we've heard, the vehicles are "ready to go", so the fact that they're not shipping must mean there's some type of policy/decision-making that's holding it up.
Maybe the homologating body wanted to ensure the Cherokee shipping wasn't going to be too negatively impacted by the CRDs so they wanted to let the Cherokees get a head start shipping. The 13,000 or so Cherokees represent a far more significant financial and publicity issue than the 2200 or so CRDs. If I were Chrysler I certainly would be putting the priority on getting the Cherokees out vs getting the CRDs out.
And/or maybe the homologating body needs to do the final analysis of the CARB fines that are expected after the (presumed) updates were made and decide if they're within an acceptable level now and/or will be "soon enough".
And/or maybe this is just how long it takes for the "wheels to turn" after getting the CARB signoff.
Just like the theoretical monkey that could type the works of Shakespeare if he randomly typed long enough, I imagine if I just keep typing, eventually I'll hit the right answer.
Although unfortunately, unlike earlier, it sounds like even if I did guess it, no one here knows enough to say it's correct or not ...
And so the waiting, and the pointless pontificating continue ....