First oil change – some info and comments - Page 24 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #277  
Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Morax's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: QC, CANADA
Posts: 410
Thanks: 6
Thanked 41 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 1649
Morax is on a distinguished road
Re: First oil change – some info and comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
I suppose it might help prevent a mess if one is draining oil during a tornado.
Hahahaha...

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #278  
Old 03-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 900
Rockydee is on a distinguished road
Re: First oil change – some info and comments

I was never a fan of those Fomoto valves. A friend had one, and when I did some work for him I showed him how much more oil comes out of the sump when you take it out. It depends if the threads are flush with the inside of the pan or not, if it the threads screw past the inside a bit you don't get as much oil out. I'd rather get as much oil out as possible and not have that thing dangling off the oil pan. But some guys love'em and I won't argue with'em. It makes changin oil a little easier.-Rockydee.
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 03-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,352
Thanks: 49
Thanked 176 Times in 139 Posts
Rep Power: 17575
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Others have had that concern as well. One can compare the distance to the lip of the oil pan and to the threading of the qwik valve before installation. A straightened paper clip with a small bend, placed in the drain and allowed to dangle, will allow one to obtain a gauge of depth. That can be compared to the qwik valve thread depth.

Not all vehicle oil pans are the same in terms of drain location and geometry, of course, so the amount of oil retained will vary by vehicle model. One must weigh the convenience against the inevitable retention of a modicum of oil.

I decided this was an acceptable tradeoff, but that was just my opinion. Certainly others have drawn different conclusions.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #280  
Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 900
Rockydee is on a distinguished road
Re: First oil change – some info and comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
Others have had that concern as well. One can compare the distance to the lip of the oil pan and to the threading of the qwik valve before installation. A straightened paper clip with a small bend, placed in the drain and allowed to dangle, will allow one to obtain a gauge of depth. That can be compared to the qwik valve thread depth.

Not all vehicle oil pans are the same in terms of drain location and geometry, of course, so the amount of oil retained will vary by vehicle model. One must weigh the convenience against the inevitable retention of a modicum of oil.

I decided this was an acceptable tradeoff, but that was just my opinion. Certainly others have drawn different conclusions.
Like I said, I'd never argue with anyone who likes them. -Rockydee.
Reply With Quote
  #281  
Old 03-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 94
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 966
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road
Re: First oil change – some info and comments

I never understood those valves. I can remove and replace a bolt a dozen times over a period of a half a decade.

Any suggestions for torque value for the drain bolt? I've been doing it by feel for 30 years but for some reason I desire to have a torque spec for this vehicle.

Also, where can I get the washer that must come with the oil drain bolt?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 03-04-2015, 01:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,352
Thanks: 49
Thanked 176 Times in 139 Posts
Rep Power: 17575
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Oil pan bolt torque for the EcoDiesel: 33 ft. lbs./45 N·m
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 106
Thanks: 3
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 1189
epicgc is on a distinguished road
Re: First oil change – some info and comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
Oil pan bolt torque for the EcoDiesel: 33 ft. lbs./45 N·m
Seems about right as my bolt was in there TIGHT from the factory compared to any other oil change I have done.
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,352
Thanks: 49
Thanked 176 Times in 139 Posts
Rep Power: 17575
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First oil change – some info and comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicgc View Post
Seems about right as my bolt was in there TIGHT from the factory compared to any other oil change I have done.
I believe it. The brass Fumoto Qwik Valve did *not* want to be torqued that tightly when I was using the torque wrench and socket.
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 03-04-2015, 07:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 106
Thanks: 3
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 1189
epicgc is on a distinguished road
Re: First oil change – some info and comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
I believe it. The brass Fumoto Qwik Valve did *not* want to be torqued that tightly when I was using the torque wrench and socket.
Agreed. I tried to come close to how tight the stock drain plug was but didn't feel comfortable pushing the qwik valve that hard. I tightened until my nervous point with it and have not seen a drop come out.
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,352
Thanks: 49
Thanked 176 Times in 139 Posts
Rep Power: 17575
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicgc View Post

Agreed. I tried to come close to how tight the stock drain plug was but didn't feel comfortable pushing the qwik valve that hard. I tightened until my nervous point with it and have not seen a drop come out.
Yeah, what happened with mine was I slowly tightened it but when I got to ~25 ft-lbs the socket turned on the brass. One slip and I was done with rounding it out. Grabbed a wrench and delicately gave it another 1/8 turn using the valve body (ugh).

Zero leaks in >10k miles. I'd install the F106S again in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 03-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 94
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 966
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road
Re: First oil change – some info and comments

I put together a litle Word document that I could keep in my garage so I could manage oil changes on this vehicle. Maybe someone else would find it useful (or correct it!)? It's not fancy, it's for personal use.


Jeep Grand Cherokee oil changeprocedure

- Tools:13mm, 27mm

- Torquerain plug 33 ft/ lbs ;Oil filter cap to 18 ft/ lbs

- Oil:Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 MS-11106 specification, 8 quarts

- Oilfilter: updated part # 68229402AA; Leave oil filter on engine after crackingcap to let oil drain. Wrap housing in rags as well.

- Notes:May require removal of air intake hose for access. Check oil level when engineis cold on second dip in to the pan. Wait15 minutes after oil refill before starting engine to allow oil to make it to thepan.

- ResetOLM: a) push start button 2x with foot brake NOT depressed to enter ‘Run’; b) fullydepress accelerator pedal 3x fully in 10 seconds total; c) press start buttonagain without touching the brakes; d) start vehicle and verify OLM is at 100%

PartsSources Include: http//horn-relay.dvautopart.com Part # L9947
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 106
Thanks: 3
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 1189
epicgc is on a distinguished road
Re: First oil change – some info and comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I put together a litle Word document that I could keep in my garage so I could manage oil changes on this vehicle. Maybe someone else would find it useful (or correct it!)? It's not fancy, it's for personal use.


Jeep Grand Cherokee oil changeprocedure

- Tools:13mm, 27mm

- Torquerain plug 33 ft/ lbs ;Oil filter cap to 18 ft/ lbs

- Oil:Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 MS-11106 specification, 8 quarts

- Oilfilter: updated part # 68229402AA; Leave oil filter on engine after crackingcap to let oil drain. Wrap housing in rags as well.

- Notes:May require removal of air intake hose for access. Check oil level when engineis cold on second dip in to the pan. Wait15 minutes after oil refill before starting engine to allow oil to make it to thepan.

- ResetOLM: a) push start button 2x with foot brake NOT depressed to enter ‘Run’; b) fullydepress accelerator pedal 3x fully in 10 seconds total; c) press start buttonagain without touching the brakes; d) start vehicle and verify OLM is at 100%

PartsSources Include: http//horn-relay.dvautopart.com Part # L9947
Great little notes sheet.

I had a heck of a time getting the service interval to reset following the procedure. What I found worked for me is when pushing the pedal to the floor my pedal would make a clicking/crunching noise. It wasn't until I got it to make this noise all 3 times that it finally took.

Not sure if someone else had the same noise or experience, just know it took a half-a-dozen tries before it took and this was the take away I had.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change oil or wait for "change oil" message spinxt Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 13 11-29-2013 05:17 PM
Synthetic Oil Change ,,, Change Oil Light ??? Bart Man Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 2 06-07-2013 08:46 AM
Second oil change, now I have oil drip spots on my carport eibyer Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 16 02-28-2013 10:19 PM
Info needed for tapping oil pan for my oil return line dubsdeuces Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos 2 07-14-2011 12:48 PM
Oil change and PCV valve change JeepCoop Grand Cherokee - WK 25 04-05-2011 02:39 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.