Pure Speculation - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 45
Thanks: 10
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 213
PSK31 Guy is on a distinguished road
Pure Speculation

I placed an order for a diesel in the middle of Sepember and was told by our dealer that diesel production would begin on October 1. About a week later production was pushed back to October 17th.

Just discovered it reached D1 status which means its in the production scheduling process. So this got me thinking. Why the push back to the 17th? Are the engines all going to the trucks? So gave our dealer a call. We have been getting company trucks from them for years, and beleive they are straight shooters. He related that they have almost 500 Ram 2017 1500 trucks on the lot, but zero Ecodiesels in inventory. He could not shed any light on why.

So why? Did FCA take a pause in diesel production? Is there a connection with the fleet wide oil specification change and hasty drain/refill of all unsold vehicles? Was the pause to implement a design change to address previous engine failures?

I know this is all speculation, but the pieces seem to fit. Anyone hear of changes between the 2016 and 17 engines?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-15-2016, 12:37 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2016 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 238
JeepIdiot is on a distinguished road
Re: Pure Speculation

I know the new deisel GCs have an updated transmission, nothing about engines. I just got a 2016 ecodiesel and plan on keeping it, hope I am not missing out on better engines in 2017.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-15-2016, 07:01 AM
WK2OverlandII's Avatar
Quadra-Drive II
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: PA WILDS
Posts: 643
Thanks: 339
Thanked 78 Times in 68 Posts
Rep Power: 18587
WK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pure Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSK31 Guy View Post
I placed an order for a diesel in the middle of Sepember and was told by our dealer that diesel production would begin on October 1. About a week later production was pushed back to October 17th.

Just discovered it reached D1 status which means its in the production scheduling process. So this got me thinking. Why the push back to the 17th? Are the engines all going to the trucks? So gave our dealer a call. We have been getting company trucks from them for years, and beleive they are straight shooters. He related that they have almost 500 Ram 2017 1500 trucks on the lot, but zero Ecodiesels in inventory. He could not shed any light on why.

So why? Did FCA take a pause in diesel production? Is there a connection with the fleet wide oil specification change and hasty drain/refill of all unsold vehicles? Was the pause to implement a design change to address previous engine failures?

I know this is all speculation, but the pieces seem to fit. Anyone hear of changes between the 2016 and 17 engines?

The delay has nothing to do with the Ecodiesel engine. It was originally scheduled for production on the 3rd of October this late production date was due to the New Transmission the second generation 8-Speed (8HP75) link below. This new transmission is not going into the Ram 1500's initially is why theres no current delay of the Ram Trucks. My guess is pure speculation...usually when its delayed like this with a new production transmission, engine etc. its because there isn't enough (due to high volume of orders) in this case transmissions built because its so new or it there could be a shortage of parts to actually build the transmission itself. Jeep wants to ensure once they start building they don't want to stop the line because that will slow all JGC builds not just the Ecodiesels. My guess is its one of these two. My two cents....


Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 8HP-75 8-speed transmission
__________________
2014 JGC Limited - Granite/Black - 3.0L ECODiesel - LUX II - NAV - Off Road II- Block Heater.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

On order: 2017 RAM 1500 Crew 4x4 Sport (Night Edition) Granite/Black - 5.7L Hemi, Rambox, Sport hood and to many more options to list.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-15-2016, 07:20 AM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,536
Thanks: 725
Thanked 1,039 Times in 812 Posts
Rep Power: 1805839
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pure Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII View Post
The delay has nothing to do with the Ecodiesel engine. It was originally scheduled for production on the 3rd of October this late production date was due to the New Transmission the second generation 8-Speed (8HP75) link below. This new transmission is not going into the Ram 1500's initially is why theres no current delay of the Ram Trucks. My guess is pure speculation...usually when its delayed like this with a new production transmission, engine etc. its because there isn't enough (due to high volume of orders) in this case transmissions built because its so new or it there could be a shortage of parts to actually build the transmission itself. Jeep wants to ensure once they start building they don't want to stop the line because that will slow all JGC builds not just the Ecodiesels. My guess is its one of these two. My two cents....


Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 8HP-75 8-speed transmission


Will Chrysler be building these or are they coming from ZF? The 8HP70 bolted to the Hemi in the '17s is built by ZF in their US plant.

From my build sheet - 8-Spd Auto 8HP70 Trans (Buy-US)

--
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-15-2016, 09:11 AM
WK2OverlandII's Avatar
Quadra-Drive II
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: PA WILDS
Posts: 643
Thanks: 339
Thanked 78 Times in 68 Posts
Rep Power: 18587
WK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond reputeWK2OverlandII has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pure Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Will Chrysler be building these or are they coming from ZF? The 8HP70 bolted to the Hemi in the '17s is built by ZF in their US plant.

From my build sheet - 8-Spd Auto 8HP70 Trans (Buy-US)

--

I don't know I would think that it would be the same...they will get them through ZF like the Hemi's.
__________________
2014 JGC Limited - Granite/Black - 3.0L ECODiesel - LUX II - NAV - Off Road II- Block Heater.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

On order: 2017 RAM 1500 Crew 4x4 Sport (Night Edition) Granite/Black - 5.7L Hemi, Rambox, Sport hood and to many more options to list.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 45
Thanks: 10
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 213
PSK31 Guy is on a distinguished road
Re: Pure Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII View Post
The delay has nothing to do with the Ecodiesel engine. It was originally scheduled for production on the 3rd of October this late production date was due to the New Transmission the second generation 8-Speed (8HP75) link below. This new transmission is not going into the Ram 1500's initially is why theres no current delay of the Ram Trucks. My guess is pure speculation...usually when its delayed like this with a new production transmission, engine etc. its because there isn't enough (due to high volume of orders) in this case transmissions built because its so new or it there could be a shortage of parts to actually build the transmission itself. Jeep wants to ensure once they start building they don't want to stop the line because that will slow all JGC builds not just the Ecodiesels. My guess is its one of these two. My two cents....


Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 8HP-75 8-speed transmission
That makes sense and is logical.

Maybe i just watched one too many eposodes of the X-Files!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PSK31 Guy For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 145
Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 1611
Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pure Speculation

I've got it on good authority that the delay is due to waiting for certifications, aka emission certifications. You can thank VW for the crack down and extra attention from the Feds on certifications.

My wife ordered a '17 Eco last week to replace her '14. Already has the VIN assigned.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2016, 09:09 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,536
Thanks: 725
Thanked 1,039 Times in 812 Posts
Rep Power: 1805839
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pure Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
I've got it on good authority that the delay is due to waiting for certifications, aka emission certifications. You can thank VW for the crack down and extra attention from the Feds on certifications.

My wife ordered a '17 Eco last week to replace her '14. Already has the VIN assigned.
It's a shame that it took something like the VW scandal to get the feds to do their job.

--
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kerrville, TX
Posts: 686
Thanks: 89
Thanked 107 Times in 83 Posts
Rep Power: 2486
philbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Pure Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
It's a shame that it took something like the VW scandal to get the feds to do their job.

--
Right! And the Gubmint did their job after the 2008 crash!!!

NOT!!!
__________________
Phil C.
2014 GC Overland 4x4, 3.0CRD, ATG, ORAII ("Smiffy")
2015 Lance 1685 Travel Trailer "#4"
2011 Kia Optima EX-L ("MC"
2003 BMW R1150RT "Darth"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 45
Thanks: 7
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 805
monstersinc1 has a reputation beyond reputemonstersinc1 has a reputation beyond reputemonstersinc1 has a reputation beyond reputemonstersinc1 has a reputation beyond reputemonstersinc1 has a reputation beyond reputemonstersinc1 has a reputation beyond reputemonstersinc1 has a reputation beyond reputemonstersinc1 has a reputation beyond reputemonstersinc1 has a reputation beyond reputemonstersinc1 has a reputation beyond reputemonstersinc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pure Speculation

I'm going to be replacing a TDI buyback with 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
__________________
2017 Jeep GC Overland V6 (on order)
2014 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
2003 Acura TL 3.2
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VW)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-17-2016, 08:32 PM
jaje's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 316
Thanks: 6
Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Rep Power: 2998
jaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pure Speculation

FYI - GM may make a Cruze diesel wagon with 6 speed wagon.
__________________
'14 XV Crosstrek
#74 Exomotive Exocet NASA ST3 / E0
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel (replaces '07 WK CRD)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iDatalink Speculation... David_Hart Audio/Visual/Navigation 17 07-09-2015 10:43 AM
KL Refresh? Rumors/Speculation cherox 2014+ Cherokee-KL 13 11-17-2014 10:05 AM
More speculation about a possible Durango SRT8 hound Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 25 04-16-2014 10:38 PM
75th Year Anniversary Model... let the speculation begin a990dna Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 21 08-07-2013 08:42 PM
Speculation of MPG for 2012 6-speed HEMI? rb3wreath Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts 6 05-31-2011 09:10 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.