Rotella T-6 in our diesel? - Page 9 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #97  
Old 08-07-2016, 01:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,352
Thanks: 49
Thanked 176 Times in 139 Posts
Rep Power: 17576
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman View Post
I know there are signs everywhere that say not to feed the trolls, but I fell for it
As did I, Floridaman. Odd that you felt the compulsion to abdicate the technical discussion in favor of wide-ranging, tangential ad hominems.

Regardless, I imagine we can both agree this particular discussion was off-topic for the thread.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #98  
Old 08-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 191
Thanks: 86
Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 1502
dsears00 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
As did I, Floridaman. Odd that you felt the compulsion to abdicate the technical discussion in favor of wide-ranging, tangential ad hominems.



Regardless, I imagine we can both agree this particular discussion was off-topic for the thread.

🙄


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 08-19-2016, 08:20 PM
eaglescout1987's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 72
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 905
eaglescout1987 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

Well today I got an oil change from the dealer and we had a bit of a disagreement on the engine oil specification for my vehicle. The dealership said it should be Pennzoil 5W-30. I agreed that it used to be Pennzoil 5W-30, but said there was a TSB for the 2016's that changed it to Shell Rotella 5W-40. In addition, Jeep released a new diesel supplement manual for the 2014's (8th edition) last month that specifically says 5W-40.

He showed me a tech instruction print out did say 5W-40 in the description, but he said that was a typo and showed me that the part number for the oil on the same page was for the old 5W-30. I agreed that the part number he had was for 5W-30 but explained that I didn't understand why Chrysler would put out two pieces of information changing the spec but not change the part number on the work order.

I paid the bill and left the dealership with 5W-30 in the engine, however I'm convinced that this isn't the right oil. I am seriously concerned about the dealer network's ability to keep these vehicles repaired in good condition as well as the long term health of the vehicles themselves. I still believe the cylinder head replacement I had to do in August 2015 was directly because a different wrong oil was used twice previously.

They also forgot to do the State Safety Inspection even though I put it on the work order when I made the reservation online. I had to take it to a service center around the corner to get that done as they were unable to do it before they closed for the day.

It is ridiculous to me that dealerships can't be trusted to put the right oil in the vehicle and follow work orders. I pay extra for dealer service to avoid these kinds of issues somewhere like Jiffy Lube. I don't feel like I should be getting into a fight with the service manager about the correct oil type. Is that too much to ask from the Chrysler dealer network?

So I emailed my contact over at Chrysler corporate to verify that the wrong oil was used and to figure out next steps. But needless to say, I am pissed and once again disappointed at how much effort I have to put into telling the dealership how to maintain their own vehicles.
__________________
'14 WK2 Diesel Limited, Luxury Group II, Silver
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #100  
Old 08-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 149
Thanks: 4
Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 1737
Bounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond reputeBounty Hunter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescout1987 View Post
I paid the bill and left the dealership with 5W-30 in the engine, however I'm convinced that this isn't the right oil. I am seriously concerned about the dealer network's ability to keep these vehicles repaired in good condition as well as the long term health of the vehicles themselves. I still believe the cylinder head replacement I had to do in August 2015 was directly because a different wrong oil was used twice previously.
I disagree. We had the '14 cylinder head replacement as well, and it's my opinion the TSB was due to carbon build up on the valves due to the EGR. The TSB applies to all 2014's and is indifferent to what oil is used. Apparently the redesigned heads aren't as susceptible to the carbon deposits causing the shuddering.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 08-20-2016, 06:12 AM
eaglescout1987's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 72
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 905
eaglescout1987 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
I disagree. We had the '14 cylinder head replacement as well, and it's my opinion the TSB was due to carbon build up on the valves due to the EGR. The TSB applies to all 2014's and is indifferent to what oil is used. Apparently the redesigned heads aren't as susceptible to the carbon deposits causing the shuddering.
I agree that the build up was from the EGR. The problem is they didn't use the low ash type synthetic oil that was originally required. Just some standard synthetic. I'm assuming the low ash part was required for some reason and I think that reason is because of the EGR. Since it wasn't used, it helped to clog the heads. Perhaps not the only reason, but perhaps a factor. am no engineer so that's just my theory.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 08-20-2016, 12:45 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kerrville, TX
Posts: 777
Thanks: 117
Thanked 126 Times in 100 Posts
Rep Power: 18686
philbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

The original spec'd oils for our ED's, Pennzoil 5w30 Euro L and Mobil1 ESP are both low SAPS oils.

SAPS stands for sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur. They comprise a significant portion of a motor oil's additive content. Sulfated ash is not added to oil; it is the result of additives in the oil burning and creating ash.
__________________
Phil C.
2014 GC Overland 4x4, 3.0CRD, ATG, ORAII ("Smiffy")
2015 Lance 1685 Travel Trailer "#4"
2011 Kia Optima EX-L ("MC"
2003 BMW R1150RT "Darth"
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 AM
AirBull's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 191
Thanks: 11
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 1580
AirBull has a reputation beyond reputeAirBull has a reputation beyond reputeAirBull has a reputation beyond reputeAirBull has a reputation beyond reputeAirBull has a reputation beyond reputeAirBull has a reputation beyond reputeAirBull has a reputation beyond reputeAirBull has a reputation beyond reputeAirBull has a reputation beyond reputeAirBull has a reputation beyond reputeAirBull has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
I disagree. We had the '14 cylinder head replacement as well, and it's my opinion the TSB was due to carbon build up on the valves due to the EGR. The TSB applies to all 2014's and is indifferent to what oil is used. Apparently the redesigned heads aren't as susceptible to the carbon deposits causing the shuddering.
I have never been able to learn, were these new heads made standard on the 2015's EcoDiesels? Anybody have the P/N's of the new and old versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescout1987 View Post
I agree that the build up was from the EGR. The problem is they didn't use the low ash type synthetic oil that was originally required. Just some standard synthetic. I'm assuming the low ash part was required for some reason and I think that reason is because of the EGR. Since it wasn't used, it helped to clog the heads. Perhaps not the only reason, but perhaps a factor. am no engineer so that's just my theory.
From what I recall from my VW/BMW diesel days, the low SAPS requirement was mandated due to the new DPF's, and not wanting to clog them up anymore than they already do.
__________________
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit California Edition 4x4 EcoDiesel

Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 257
Thanks: 79
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 1340
mbaessler has a reputation beyond reputembaessler has a reputation beyond reputembaessler has a reputation beyond reputembaessler has a reputation beyond reputembaessler has a reputation beyond reputembaessler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

So any news why this TSB doesn't apply to our 14's and 15's since they changed our manuals to the new requirement. Additionally the Rotella T6 is also a low ash full synthetic oil the only difference is now Chrysler says use the 5-40 vs the 5-30. Are they trying to protect the engine from the heat build up with the 40wt portion of that oil. It interesting that you can't get a straight answer from the dealer or Chrysler. It would be nice to have a direct line to Engineering. Those guys know.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 08-23-2016, 03:17 PM
fun2drive's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida Panhandle/ Ohio
Posts: 921
Thanks: 19
Thanked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 3841
fun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

You don't get any significant protection increase from 30 to 40 wt given it is already synthetic and multi viscosity. My guess is better availability and the fact that synthetic low ash seems to fit the bill for their spec. Given many of us running diesels before this ran Rotella this is hardly surprising...
__________________
Overland Deep Cherry Red/ LT Biege Inter/ Diesel/ ATG
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fun2drive For This Useful Post:
  #106  
Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 44
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1411
Mike V is on a distinguished road
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

IF change wasn't important, than why were dealers paid to change the oil in all the diesels sitting on the lots? That doesn't happen unless there is a serious need. I asked my dealer and they just smiled.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike V For This Useful Post:
  #107  
Old 08-24-2016, 08:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 257
Thanks: 79
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 1340
mbaessler has a reputation beyond reputembaessler has a reputation beyond reputembaessler has a reputation beyond reputembaessler has a reputation beyond reputembaessler has a reputation beyond reputembaessler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
IF change wasn't important, than why were dealers paid to change the oil in all the diesels sitting on the lots? That doesn't happen unless there is a serious need. I asked my dealer and they just smiled.
Be nice to get a straight answer. I agree Mike V, why bother change the oil to 5-40 on all the existing inventory. They could of changed it when the first oil change was due. Something there not telling us. Or like some have guessed maybe we will get a TSB eventually. I think I will write Chrysler/Jeep again.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mbaessler For This Useful Post:
  #108  
Old 08-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 44
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1411
Mike V is on a distinguished road
Re: Rotella T-6 in our diesel?

I have a case of the old Pennzoil left. I think I will switch and add one quart of the old in with the new to use it up. That little bit won't make a difference.

Mike V
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After re-flashing of our diesel GC Olivia_2015 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 13 09-22-2015 11:52 AM
Hi all this is our new Grand Cherokee Summit, our first jeep and a damn nice ride Duke ACDC75 Members Rides 4 02-24-2015 02:09 PM
Blackstone UOA - Rotella T5 C175 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 9 12-14-2014 09:57 AM
"Willis" Our 2014 Limited Eco Diesel 4x4 lp967 Members Rides-Showoff 16 09-17-2014 04:11 PM
"Diesel fürs Dickschiff" ( "Diesel for the big boat") BobT Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ 11 01-30-2013 07:15 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.