Originally Posted by Rumline
Continued reports like these make me want to cancel my CRD order and just stick with my hemi. My wife would kill me if I drop $50k on a car that is in the shop as much as a 20-year-old beater.
Yeah, I feel ya. My wife would flip if we had to put it in the shop anytime soon. Guess I'll be making mods on delivery day. First, find a method to water-proof the injector. Secondly, tighty-up the cables/hoses. Third, add steel guards.
Maybe they spent too much time on interior aesthetics and ran out of time dealing with the EPA driven crud that had to be done to to make it road legal.
I'm getting a little less excited about getting my order in. We need a sticky for all the think new owner need to do and be mindful off right off the bat:
1) remind the dealership to top-off the DEF tank.
2) put a rubber boot over the injector and water=proof both ends of the boot.
3) cinch hanging hoses and cables on bottom
4) add steel guards to protect said hoses cables
5) don't idle it for too long if you want it to last with all the EPA junk on it.
6) change your oil more frequently than 10kmiles since it too, in a way, is acting as a filter.
7) DEF can be bought much cheaper and added much easier at truck stops.
Feel free to add to it.
One problem I do see about putting a boot or something over the injector is that it has heat shielding around it that doesn't look removable in a way it can be put back on as-from-factory. So if anything does happen to it, despite your mods to prtect it, the dealership will say you tampered with it and that's why it broke/failed/etc.