Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC? - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 06-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 585
dcbaros is on a distinguished road
Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC?

Ive been thinking about getting a diesel 2014 GC. What should I be looking for? Like many others I have read all of the horror stories. So far I will be looking at the Cat model number and the def injector. I figure if I can find one that has an AB cat it would be okay? If I get a check engine light and the 200 miles to no restart message comes on can I clear that with a diagnostic tool and it be okay? I worry most about being stuck somewhere because I travel quite a bit. I tried out the V8 yesterday and I am just afraid that the mpg will be terrible in Houston traffic (although the power was awesome). I had found one that I was going to go look at but the carfax said that it had failed an emissions test so I decided to stay away, it sold anyways. Would it be better to just wait and get a 2015?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-26-2015, 02:40 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 249
Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 1313
MBDiesel is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC?

I have a late '14 (6/14 build) with 16k miles now and haven't had an engine or emissions problem yet. Just a few body fit issues from the factory that are being fixed by the dealer's body shop. Stuff that would have happened regardless of what engine was under the hood.

The P20EE problems people are having do not invoke the no-start countdown; it only triggers the MIL and disables certain features like remote start. It will only start counting down if the DEF system is bad; i.e. bad/broken injector, bad DEF, etc.
__________________
2015 WK2 EcoDiesel Overland 4x4 Billet Silver, ORAII, ATG
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300D 2.5 Turbo - 155k
No sparks allowed!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-26-2015, 02:53 PM
rex shield's Avatar
Premium Vendor
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 282
Thanks: 30
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 994
rex shield is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC?

I have the 2014 and purchase date was Feb 14, 2014. Had one issue so far with the particulate filter not regenerating and went into limp mode. The dealership replaced it under warranty. Other then that i absolutely love it. Gobs of power. 21 to 22 mpg city and 33 to 34 mpg highway 4x4. I'm keeping mine for sure and the off road capability is outstanding. A friend of mine said it felt like four wheeling in a Cadillac it was so smooth and comfortable.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Zhe Wiz's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central NY - Ithaca
Posts: 643
Thanks: 164
Thanked 113 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 16731
Zhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC?

It is my opinion that "problems" with the 2014 diesels are completely overblown. Relatively small percentage of diesel owners are affected, for the vast majority of those the fix is straightforward - go to dealer, get flashed, drive for a while. If when light comes back on go to dealer and get cat and or injector. For most that's it and the problem is solved. For most there is no down time as the vehicle usually stays drivable. Few people with the US Spec diesel have a problem severe enough that it goes into limp mode, though very few (like Rex!) have.

This is NOT a case where the fix isn't known and you're stuck with a problem forever. Again, there are exceptions, but those are very rare.
__________________
Zhe Wiz

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zhe Wiz For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 585
dcbaros is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhe Wiz View Post
It is my opinion that "problems" with the 2014 diesels are completely overblown. Relatively small percentage of diesel owners are affected, for the vast majority of those the fix is straightforward - go to dealer, get flashed, drive for a while. If when light comes back on go to dealer and get cat and or injector. For most that's it and the problem is solved. For most there is no down time as the vehicle usually stays drivable. Few people with the US Spec diesel have a problem severe enough that it goes into limp mode, though very few (like Rex!) have.

This is NOT a case where the fix isn't known and you're stuck with a problem forever. Again, there are exceptions, but those are very rare.
Yeah I figured it was overblown. Im just worried about buying a used 2014 and it going out of warranty. The diesel I was going to look at though looked to me as if it was problematic. It was a 2014 Overland with 11,000 miles on it for 39k. The carfax was riddled with reprograming and failed emissions tests so I stayed away. As soon as another overland diesel shows up I think I will go look at it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Zhe Wiz's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central NY - Ithaca
Posts: 643
Thanks: 164
Thanked 113 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 16731
Zhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbaros View Post
Yeah I figured it was overblown. Im just worried about buying a used 2014 and it going out of warranty. The diesel I was going to look at though looked to me as if it was problematic. It was a 2014 Overland with 11,000 miles on it for 39k. The carfax was riddled with reprograming and failed emissions tests so I stayed away. As soon as another overland diesel shows up I think I will go look at it.
Wise decision. If a couple years on JG has taught me anything it's that there are plenty of good Jeeps and a few bad ones. The bad ones tend to be really bad so one with repeated visits would be one wise to avoid - diesel or not!
__________________
Zhe Wiz

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:58 PM
fun2drive's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida Panhandle/ Ohio
Posts: 803
Thanks: 16
Thanked 94 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 2349
fun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond reputefun2drive has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC?

I have 23K miles on mine and had to bring mine in for a dirty injector change. Everything else normal call backs for programming updates. Not sure how anyone can call that a problem platform.
Mine is a 19 Dec 13 build.
I love my Jeep and would get another just like it if this one were destroyed.
I get 28-29 mpg all day long and love the power train and all the features which I use all the time...
__________________
Overland Deep Cherry Red/ LT Biege Inter/ Diesel/ ATG
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 585
dcbaros is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhe Wiz View Post
Wise decision. If a couple years on JG has taught me anything it's that there are plenty of good Jeeps and a few bad ones. The bad ones tend to be really bad so one with repeated visits would be one wise to avoid - diesel or not!
One of my earliest childhood memories is of my parents GC having its horn stuck while driving through town so I can't help but be cautious.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,312
Thanks: 49
Thanked 164 Times in 132 Posts
Rep Power: 2883
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbaros View Post
Yeah I figured it was overblown. Im just worried about buying a used 2014 and it going out of warranty.
If you're worried about the emissions warranty covering P20EE issues / SCR cat / DPF, then stop worrying. That's confirmed as covered under the 8 year/80k mile emissions warranty.

"For everything else, there's Max Care." (haha)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roadkill For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 585
dcbaros is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
If you're worried about the emissions warranty covering P20EE issues / SCR cat / DPF, then stop worrying. That's confirmed as covered under the 8 year/80k mile emissions warranty.

"For everything else, there's Max Care." (haha)

I did not know that warranty existed! Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,312
Thanks: 49
Thanked 164 Times in 132 Posts
Rep Power: 2883
Roadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond reputeRoadkill has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbaros View Post
I did not know that warranty existed! Thank you!
There is a federally-mandated minimum warranty coverage for certain emissions components for 8 years / 80k miles, so all vehicles from any manufacturer will have something similar. FCA may be covering more under that warranty than the bare minimum required, but regardless of why they are doing it, SCR cats & DPF replacement are covered (those are definitely the expensive parts & labor concerns here).

2014's and 2015's have 5 year / 100k mile powertrain warranties as well. I heard rumors they might be dialing that back a bit in the future.

I'm generally not a fan of "extended warranties", but I made an exception for for my Summit EcoDiesel and bought the Chrysler Maximum Care service plan to obtain coverage for practically everything mechanical for a total of 8 years / 120k. If either my air suspension or vehicle nav/radio system dies once it will have almost paid for itself, and I plan to keep this beast until the bitter end so it seemed like a good bet.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roadkill For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 06-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 585
dcbaros is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I even bother with 2014 Diesel GC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
There is a federally-mandated minimum warranty coverage for certain emissions components for 8 years / 80k miles, so all vehicles from any manufacturer will have something similar. FCA may be covering more under that warranty than the bare minimum required, but regardless of why they are doing it, SCR cats & DPF replacement are covered (those are definitely the expensive parts & labor concerns here).

2014's and 2015's have 5 year / 100k mile powertrain warranties as well. I heard rumors they might be dialing that back a bit in the future.

I'm generally not a fan of "extended warranties", but I made an exception for for my Summit EcoDiesel and bought the Chrysler Maximum Care service plan to obtain coverage for practically everything mechanical for a total of 8 years / 120k. If either my air suspension or vehicle nav/radio system dies once it will have almost paid for itself, and I plan to keep this beast until the bitter end so it seemed like a good bet.
How much was the warranty?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I even bother with a 2014 diesel? dcbaros Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee 2 07-26-2015 12:22 AM
Would this bother you if it was your truck darknit3 Interior/Exterior/Visual 26 08-21-2013 02:30 PM
2014 not even 100 miles and issues 655321 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 68 05-23-2013 02:12 AM
Don't bother with Lamin-X fog light overlays Stroked & Blown Interior/Exterior/Visual 2 03-05-2011 11:48 AM
The UAV (56k dont even bother!) :) jcollins1888 Members Rides 28 09-04-2009 03:35 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.