Towing RV Trailer - Page 4 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 06-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 758
urbangirl211 is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing RV Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbytx View Post
Just a "heads up" : If you have Quadra Lift, you must set up your WDH with the AIR SUSPENSION OFF!

You can do this in the EVIC.
If you don't turn the air suspension off, what happens?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #38  
Old 06-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 758
urbangirl211 is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing RV Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgtow View Post
I'm now pulling a 24'+ tongue = 28' overall trailer. 6,000 lbs and 600lbs tongue. It's taller and has 15" tires. Again, Very different than my last 4200 lb 21' trailer and my 22' boat!

This RV catches wind more easily and really can feel it. Currently installing a Hensley hitch system to hopefully cure the problem. Replacing my reese dual cam strait line WDH system.


No problem with the torque pull, it's other factors that present possible issues. No doubt, Rvs are very different pulls than other trailers. It's NOT all about the weight.
Attachment 55336


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
I didn't see any post regarding if the Hensley hitch made any difference for you. We're getting sway pulling our North Trail 22FBS with out 2014 Jeep GC Summit 4x4 ecodiesel. We have the Curt system (WD hitch and bars) and sway bars. Not sure how the trailer sway dampening works with this setup. Feeling frustrated and want to get it right so we can enjoy the travels.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-04-2015, 04:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 813
MattFahey is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing RV Trailer

I drive a 2015 GC Altitude 3.6L 4x2 with just over 3000 miles and it has a OEM tow package. I'm towing an enclosed motorcycle trailer with a 1972 Austin Mini Cooper (Right hand drive) inside. The car is super small & light weight of course and I'm not sure on trailer length... But the 3.6L sure does struggle. I'm guessing this is normal, correct? Last night I was switching between Sports mode and Drive when needed. Mostly doing highway miles this weekend. I noticed my average MPG was about 7-9. And the truck would commonly stay in 5th gear during tow around 70-75mph. Does this all seem normal? I do not think the haul exceeds the towing limits but I just want to check with the pros (you all) just to verify that I'm not causing damage to my truck due to the strain. This will probably be my last tow this big. I just do not feel like the 3.6L is beafy enough for this again. I tow my 21' bass boat on a regular with no issues but for only 5 miles to the lake.

Again, just wanted to check with you all to make sure all seems good. Handling is fine though I'm just checking opinions on strain/damage to my trucks engine/transmission/ect.

Thanks Matt.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #40  
Old 06-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 909
mpgtow is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing RV Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbangirl211 View Post
I didn't see any post regarding if the Hensley hitch made any difference for you. We're getting sway pulling our North Trail 22FBS with out 2014 Jeep GC Summit 4x4 ecodiesel. We have the Curt system (WD hitch and bars) and sway bars. Not sure how the trailer sway dampening works with this setup. Feeling frustrated and want to get it right so we can enjoy the travels.
Yes, I purchased the Hensley Hitch and I believe it was somewhat helpful. Sway was reduced. It is a well made product and the staff is excellent. That said, I still did not care for the entire set up.... as the Jeep did not feel completely in control 100% of the time. It was almost impossible to get the distribution on the Hensley to level out the Jeep to my satisfaction (Reese strait line, anti-sway did not have this problem). The Hensley was adding more weight to the payload and hitch issue. I believe the total payload and wheel base length of the Jeep was certainly factor(s). And, hooking up the Hensley was an additional pain in the *ss factor.
Our plans do include some major, cross country road trips so my decisions also have this information factored into my equation. I believe this to be a personal "feeling" and not necessarily the same for everyone. That said, as mentioned previously, I pulled a 4200 lb, 21' Coachmen trailer prior with the Jeep and had absolutely no problem whatsoever. But my new 2015 Laredo 240MK is much taller, longer & heavier.
So..... went to the dealer and tried the Ram 1500 ecodiesel. The dealer was kind enough to loan it to me for a weekend and allow me to tow. It pulled so much better. Very nice vehicle. But the payload factor still was bothering me. The model I had borrowed still only had 990 lbs payload left according to the door sticker. Subtract a hitch of 610lbs, 70 lb distribution hitch system, passenger and more stuff and now riding on "empty".
Back to the dealer- and threw in the towel! Bought a Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel, 4x4. NOW, it's NO PROBLEM. I feel safe and in control. It has tow haul modes + an exhaust brake (awesome). Payload is a whopping 2,200 lbs. It may be overkill but I got sick and tired of trying different "fixes". Last week we completed a 1100 mile trip and it was perfect. Also, it was very windy on a portion of our trip but again, felt totally in control and planted on the ground. I used the Reese strait line anti sway system already owned and returned the Hensley for a refund. The downside is this is a real truck and rides like one. Suspension is stiff and ride is bumpy. Need a ladder to get in the bed!
If I had enough cash lying around I would have kept the Jeep as well. I really liked it.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I will look up the specs of your trailer - what year is it? Gee, I spent a lot of time researching and setting up hitches so maybe could be helpful. Also, feel free to send a private message if you like to discuss via phone.
__________________
Rob
2014 EcoDiesel traded in...
for Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel, 4x4, Crewcab, Shortbed
Towing- Keystone 240MK Travel Trailer (LOA 28')
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-04-2015, 07:56 AM
jaje's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 350
Thanks: 6
Thanked 72 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 3722
jaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond reputejaje has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Towing RV Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFahey View Post
I drive a 2015 GC Altitude 3.6L 4x2 with just over 3000 miles and it has a OEM tow package. I'm towing an enclosed motorcycle trailer with a 1972 Austin Mini Cooper (Right hand drive) inside. The car is super small & light weight of course and I'm not sure on trailer length... But the 3.6L sure does struggle. I'm guessing this is normal, correct? Last night I was switching between Sports mode and Drive when needed. Mostly doing highway miles this weekend. I noticed my average MPG was about 7-9. And the truck would commonly stay in 5th gear during tow around 70-75mph. Does this all seem normal? I do not think the haul exceeds the towing limits but I just want to check with the pros (you all) just to verify that I'm not causing damage to my truck due to the strain. This will probably be my last tow this big. I just do not feel like the 3.6L is beafy enough for this again. I tow my 21' bass boat on a regular with no issues but for only 5 miles to the lake.

Again, just wanted to check with you all to make sure all seems good. Handling is fine though I'm just checking opinions on strain/damage to my trucks engine/transmission/ect.

Thanks Matt.
That is normal with a v6 even towing something as small and light. I'd expect that towing your trailer with my diesel I'd be getting low 20's. I tow a 6k lb, 14x7 v nose enclosed trailer (Spec Miata inside) and I get 18-20 mpg towing with the diesel.

A gas engine needs to make its power at higher RPM to maintain speed when you have lots of drag (enclosed trailer) and to go up grades. Also diesel has 25% more energy density per gallon compared to gasoline (same advantage gas has to E85 fuel). After towing with gas pickups from v6, and 5.3 to 6.2 liter v8s - towing with a diesel is so much easier especially when it can effortlessly tow up a steep grade or handle a 30 mph headwind. Also being able to go 2x more distance than a gas engine would allow me to is another big benefit. Pain in the butt when I'm actually caravaning with friends who are towing with gas SUVs or trucks and they have to stop every 200 miles to fuel up. I would just continue on and stop at the next rest area to let the dog run around and wait for them to catch back up after refueling.
__________________
'14 XV Crosstrek
#74 Exomotive Exocet NASA ST3 / E0
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel (replaces '07 WK CRD)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 813
MattFahey is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing RV Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje View Post
That is normal with a v6 even towing something as small and light. I'd expect that towing your trailer with my diesel I'd be getting low 20's. I tow a 6k lb, 14x7 v nose enclosed trailer (Spec Miata inside) and I get 18-20 mpg towing with the diesel.

A gas engine needs to make its power at higher RPM to maintain speed when you have lots of drag (enclosed trailer) and to go up grades. Also diesel has 25% more energy density per gallon compared to gasoline (same advantage gas has to E85 fuel). After towing with gas pickups from v6, and 5.3 to 6.2 liter v8s - towing with a diesel is so much easier especially when it can effortlessly tow up a steep grade or handle a 30 mph headwind. Also being able to go 2x more distance than a gas engine would allow me to is another big benefit. Pain in the butt when I'm actually caravaning with friends who are towing with gas SUVs or trucks and they have to stop every 200 miles to fuel up. I would just continue on and stop at the next rest area to let the dog run around and wait for them to catch back up after refueling.
Yes! My gas mileage is horrible which is why I do not care to tow anything for a 2hr hwy trip anymore. But I trying to get the Mini Cooper to a large car event in Virginia Beach. Thank you for all the info. Makes me feel a lot better about towing tomorrow. The 3.6L sure felt like a tired pony last night.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My towing experience (Hemi and 6k lb trailer) dcmski Grand Cherokee - WK 4 09-01-2014 01:00 PM
Towing 3,000 lb trailer without trailer brakes? Wiley75 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 15 05-15-2014 07:46 AM
Vacation Trailer Home towing bond7 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 15 12-10-2011 08:50 AM
2012 Trailer Towing Package Not Available? HemiHog Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 6 08-16-2011 01:04 PM
2500 miles towing a 5000 lb enclosed trailer without a single issue! mjw930 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 23 05-16-2011 02:00 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.