Hey everyone! Excited to join this new community as a new owner of a jeep srt. Little background:
Came from a 2008 Subaru sti with minor modifications, stage 2 pushing 277 whp on 91 pump gas. (Best I can get in Idaho!) loved the car, it's performance, snow handling, etc. But after moving from Seattle to the middle of nowhere/Idaho it wasn't practical. So I sold it as well as my wife's Ford F-150 pickup to consolidate because when we are home we have 2 personal vehicles and 2 work vehicles. Unnecessary. Problem was I now needed a vehicle capable of towing like the pickup, good in snow like the Subaru, and still provided a ear-to-ear grin like the sti. Thus the search for a jeep srt began.
Getting the car:
After several months trying to haggle with dealers on trade in price I decided best bet was to just sell the vehicles I had private sale and after about a month of posting ads it paid off and was able to get 10k over what the dealer wanted to give me. Unfortunately this took long enough that the first snow hit and all the srt's that I had been watching vanished. Now all that seemed to be on the market was not even remotely close. All I could find was east coast or Texas so I looked into shipping but as Christmas rapidly approached the cost of shipping went up.
Finally settling with an srt in New Jersey and having it checked out by a third party dealer I caught a flight out to Newark but not without a 7 hour delay in Boston due to weather.
Turns out the car is at a jaguar dealer and first off they thought I was a bum walking into their high class showroom floor and second it seemed they could care less about showing me the car and more about how fast they could get me to sign and hand over the cash. One guy literally told me that I needed to hurry up because his wife wasn't going to be happy he was late, in a non joking sort of way. Anyway, pushy dealer, bad service, but I still got the car for about 3k cheaper than the next one out there.
2,300 miles, a couple of storms, 65 mph winds, an oil change at a dealer in Nebraska, and just sleeping in the back of the car I made it back to Idaho in about 2.5 days. A week later we put another 1000 miles on the car up to Montana and back!
Couple of impressions and questions:
1. I love the power, 8 speed tranny, torque, sound, handling, and how quiet the cab is. Plus all the luxury features that even the new Subarus don't have today.
2. I figured the suspension would be a little softer but after the mileage I have put on it's fairy stiff and boy do you notice the bad roads.
3. Is it me or do the high beams seem to not do very much?? There is very little difference between the high beams and low beams unless there is something reflective out in the distance.
4. Traction control off button doesn't seem to be 100%. With the new snow switched it over to track mode (with t control off), and it wasn't too eager to let me just slide around. What's up with that?
Mods already (if you can call them that)
1. Thanks to this forum I already got a set of racks that work for the srt so I could get my snowboards mounted up!
2. Couldn't handle the bright front windows so got them tinted to match.
3. I got some major sand/rock damage from the winds in Wyoming and insurance will cover it so getting the windshield replaced and then will get the front end re-painted this spring.
4. First set of run-flats and boy do they suck in the snow!! Might as well have a set of race slicks on. I was really disappointed in the jeeps ability in snow and ice until I did some more research on the tires. Now I'm getting a set of blizzaks 285 mounted up tomorrow.
Sorry for the long post! I look forward to the info and the community!