From google searches it seems that the only provider of aftermarket skid plate protection for the transmission on the WK2 are Shield Productions and Chief Products.
Chief Products Transmission Protection Plate - $276 USD
Shield Productions Transmission Skid Plate - $250 to $290 USD
Shield Productions WK2 Transmission Shield for Jeep Grand Cherokee
Does anyone have any info about how the two compare? Obviously the Shield plate is available in aluminum while the Chief plate only comes in steel.
From what I can tell:
- Aluminum option for $250
- Appears wider
- The curved side edge appears designed particularly for the Ecodiesel exhaust. (I have the Ecodiesel)
- Steel option for $270 is only "painted" for corrosion protection
- Wider shape may reduce air flow for components (if this even matters) and no slotting or drainage may allow mud/water buildup
- Powder coating would be more durable against abrasions
- Powder coating has zinc undercoating which will result in very long term corrosion resistance (IMHO)
- Size and drainage slotting improves airflow to components (if this even matters)
- Fasteners come with bolt head protectors
- Folded edges provide better impact resistance
- Narrow = less "protection" (transmission seems adequately covered)
I already purchased and installed the OEM skid plates and Dom's DEF injector plate. Dom's plate is zinc plated, so I etched the surface and used a zinc compatible primer, then painted with an alkyd/oil based paint. I was thinking about having a shop powder coat it but I'm a hands on kind of guy so I just decided to take the cheap and easily repeatable option.