Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 01-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LI NY
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1410
MLIB is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

My transmission has been giving me continuous problems with the filter clogging. I would like to do a swap for another maybe a QDII or if possible a manual, if anyone has any knowledge of transmission swaps on a WK
__________________

__________________
Custom mesh grille,Pioneer 910BT, 12inch Pionner premeier Sub, Infinity Kappa door speakers,Custom maroon ghost stripes, painted air dam/side skirts/rear bumper step, 100 watt stutter electric horn
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 162
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1880
mitchelm is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

I think its been talked about, but no one that I know of has swapped in an the QDII or a manual. Of course just swapping in the QDII wont solve your tranny problems. Dont know if the RFE will even bolt up to 3.7L. But must be something else going on with your tranny. If you are looking for the manual option, you are probably looking to swap in the 6speed from the liberty with the 3.7L and QDII, but might need a custom driveshaft. Not sure if the length of the manual and QDII would even bolt up to same location either.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM
soontobesrt's Avatar
I drive a modern day Woody
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia,PA ----> Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,602
Thanks: 31
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 3363
soontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelm View Post
I think its been talked about, but no one that I know of has swapped in an the QDII or a manual. Of course just swapping in the QDII wont solve your tranny problems. Dont know if the RFE will even bolt up to 3.7L. But must be something else going on with your tranny. If you are looking for the manual option, you are probably looking to swap in the 6speed from the liberty with the 3.7L and QDII, but might need a custom driveshaft. Not sure if the length of the manual and QDII would even bolt up to same location either.
Def wouldn't as I know the liberty is a completley diff design through and through. Even the 3.7 under the hood is slightly different in design from exhaust manifolds to intake desigand other accessory locations etc. I just know from others research that most stuff for liberty doesn't work with the cherokees and I know they're diff sizes which doesn't help. So im sure it'd be a pita to swap the liberty trans into a cheoke auto, cost so much you'd be etter off buying another Jeep lol, just my. 02

Best bet, google builderbill from paramount performance or look into shr - southern horrors as they both know lots about the jeep trannys and are good at customizing to fit your needs.
__________________

Mods: A Bunch



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2011, 05:45 AM
2005JGC's Avatar
Senior Member


My Jeep: 2005 4.7L WK
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,751
Thanks: 51
Thanked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Rep Power: 1652940
2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

everything you mentioned doesnt mean anything in reguards to a liberty trans bolting to the block... I havent heard of different 3.7l blocks before... the 3.7 is the 3.7... there may be tone wheel differences like the 4.7l but the block is physically the same.

That said there is no easy driveway drivetrain swap.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
soontobesrt's Avatar
I drive a modern day Woody
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia,PA ----> Trenton, NJ
Posts: 1,602
Thanks: 31
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 3363
soontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond reputesoontobesrt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
everything you mentioned doesnt mean anything in reguards to a liberty trans bolting to the block... I havent heard of different 3.7l blocks before... the 3.7 is the 3.7... there may be tone wheel differences like the 4.7l but the block is physically the same.

That said there is no easy driveway drivetrain swap.
Yes you are right, Im making a pretty general assumption from some general conclusions. I may not have been to clear but I let me clarify, I was only talking about swapping a manual into his auto GC. Swapping a manual trans into the auto 3.7s PROBABLY WOULD BE A BIG HEADACHE because of all the electrical bs in the tcm and also the valve body and other associated components. I dont know enough here, but I know the difference in the manual trans and the auto and electronically they're very different too. I know it would be a headache and the time/$ probably wouldn't be worth it for most applications, only if he really needed a 5 speed for some reason?

If someone knows exactly whats needed and the procedure to make it work wants to chime in feel free, Id be curious myself. Ive just never heard of anyone even mention it so makes me think its that unfeasible, past experience says manual swaps into autos are a no no but anything can be done with enough time/$, gl to ya OP
__________________

Mods: A Bunch



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 162
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1880
mitchelm is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

yeah, I was only mentioning the liberty, because it had the 3.7L mated to the manual tranny with a similar transfer case. So some electronics and such might swap over. I'm sure there will be lots of hacking too. Basically you are looking at some version of the NSG370. This tranny has been mated to quite a few things. Look at Novak-Adapt.com. They could probably help you out if you were serious about this swap. Or even AdvanceAdapters. Not sure the NSG370 bolts up to the full time transfer case with no 4lo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 162
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1880
mitchelm is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

And the getrag 238 was used as the 6speed in dodge ram and dakotas with the 4.7L and 5.7L. Apparently it was used for the 3.7L also? I cant confirm this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LI NY
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1410
MLIB is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

Thanks for the input guys, ive just been having a lot of problems with this tranny( which from what I hear is not uncommon) and the tranny has to be replaced or rebuilt I just wanted to poke around to see what options I have as far as a clean swap but everything sounds like a real pain. Does anyone know of upgrading it maybe to a better tranny not the QD2 but something below that compatible with the 3.7l
__________________
Custom mesh grille,Pioneer 910BT, 12inch Pionner premeier Sub, Infinity Kappa door speakers,Custom maroon ghost stripes, painted air dam/side skirts/rear bumper step, 100 watt stutter electric horn
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1576
Drew is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

You do realize that QD2 has nothing to do with a tranny right? The QD2 system is basically the transfercase and axle innards. (the 4x4 system).

Are you having problems with the tranny or transfercase? The 05'-10' WK's only had 2 different trannies. The MB Nag1 and the 545RFE. The MB trans is behind the 3.7 and 6.1 motors and the RFE tranny is behind the 4.7 and 5.7 motors. I'm not sure what was behind the 3.0crd...

Both trannies are pretty durable for what they are, but either way the MB Nag1 tranny has a history of being much more durable than the Chryco 545rfe tranny has ever been.

IMHO trying to swap out the Nag tranny for an rfe tranny is a step backwards stock vs. stock assuming it's even possible.

If your dead set on a different auto you might have more luck looking into a 42rle tranny behind the 3.7 Liberty which is even worse. I'm sure you could get an NV3550 5 speed manual to bolt up physically.

Your biggest challenge with any of these tranny swaps is going to be the electronics and getting everything to play nice together.
Even changing gear ratios in the axles to something "out of the norm" is a HUGE challenge due to the electronics on newer jeeps.

Your best bet is to find out what your real problem is with what you have and have it addressed by someone who knows what they are doing. If you need someone to take it to the first people that come to mind is IPT Transmission. They are in North Jersey, near Sparta and know their shit as far as building them to last.
Good Luck
Doug
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LI NY
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1410
MLIB is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
You do realize that QD2 has nothing to do with a tranny right? The QD2 system is basically the transfercase and axle innards. (the 4x4 system).

Are you having problems with the tranny or transfercase? The 05'-10' WK's only had 2 different trannies. The MB Nag1 and the 545RFE. The MB trans is behind the 3.7 and 6.1 motors and the RFE tranny is behind the 4.7 and 5.7 motors. I'm not sure what was behind the 3.0crd...

Both trannies are pretty durable for what they are, but either way the MB Nag1 tranny has a history of being much more durable than the Chryco 545rfe tranny has ever been.

IMHO trying to swap out the Nag tranny for an rfe tranny is a step backwards stock vs. stock assuming it's even possible.

If your dead set on a different auto you might have more luck looking into a 42rle tranny behind the 3.7 Liberty which is even worse. I'm sure you could get an NV3550 5 speed manual to bolt up physically.

Your biggest challenge with any of these tranny swaps is going to be the electronics and getting everything to play nice together.
Even changing gear ratios in the axles to something "out of the norm" is a HUGE challenge due to the electronics on newer jeeps.

Your best bet is to find out what your real problem is with what you have and have it addressed by someone who knows what they are doing. If you need someone to take it to the first people that come to mind is IPT Transmission. They are in North Jersey, near Sparta and know their shit as far as building them to last.
Good Luck
Doug

Thanks for your input, that cleared it up for me. I have to swap/rebuild this tranny, without a doubt. I just am unsure about about the route to take, but from what I read from your post your saying that the tranny behind the 3.7 is more durable then the one behind the 5.7/4.7 thats hard to believe. And what about the bell housing for the rfe to the 3.7, im assuming it would be a problem??
__________________
Custom mesh grille,Pioneer 910BT, 12inch Pionner premeier Sub, Infinity Kappa door speakers,Custom maroon ghost stripes, painted air dam/side skirts/rear bumper step, 100 watt stutter electric horn
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1576
Drew is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission swap on a 07 WK with the 3.7L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLIB View Post
Thanks for your input, that cleared it up for me. I have to swap/rebuild this tranny, without a doubt. I just am unsure about about the route to take, but from what I read from your post your saying that the tranny behind the 3.7 is more durable then the one behind the 5.7/4.7 thats hard to believe. And what about the bell housing for the rfe to the 3.7, im assuming it would be a problem??
IMHO the Nag tranny behind the 3.7 is more durable than the 545rfe tranny behind the 4.7/5.7. That's not to say the 545 is a bad tranny, because it IS quite good. Remember, they use the Nag tranny behind the SRT8's as well as some pretty high HP V8 MB's. However, the 545 can be built up easier.

I honestly have no idea if the rfe tranny will bolt up to the 3.7.
Really, what you need to do is to find a good shop to take care of the problem that you are currently having cause I don't think a swap to a different brand is going to do anything but cost you even more money for no gains.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you swap in a 6.1 baseboy391 Grand Cherokee - WK 11 01-06-2011 08:56 PM
Anyone done DYI Transmission Swap? 555ctsv Grand Cherokee - WK 19 10-31-2010 08:44 PM
non HO to HO swap? badassgc Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 14 10-10-2010 07:25 AM
6.1L Swap - Need Some Help! soontobesrt Performance Modifications 45 06-24-2010 01:36 PM
4.7 to HO swap 024.7HO Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 6 02-22-2010 11:49 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community