Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Modifications & Enhancements > Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 06-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: California
Posts: 23
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 153
wifiwanderer is on a distinguished road
Question Uconnect subscriptions

Which Uconnect 8.4 features don't require subscriptions? TIA.

Got the impression from the manual that only the AM/FM radio, CD player, various vehicle functions, SD media card and USB devices such as an iPod, work without subscriptions.

I was not clear about whether calling 9-1-1 and GPS navigation required subscriptions.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2014, 07:30 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,303
Thanks: 329
Thanked 358 Times in 312 Posts
Rep Power: 1801820
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uconnect subscriptions

GPS still works. 911 no.

It will become clear when you wrap your head around the fact that "uConnect" and "uConnect Access" are two different things. uConnect Access is the subscription.

Other features are included in the SiriusXM subscription.


___
__________________

__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: California
Posts: 23
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 153
wifiwanderer is on a distinguished road
Re: Uconnect subscriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
GPS still works. 911 no.

It will become clear when you wrap your head around the fact that "uConnect" and "uConnect Access" are two different things. uConnect Access is the subscription.

Other features are included in the SiriusXM subscription.
So calling 9-1-1 requires a subscription, but GPS navigation does not require a subscription? Does GPS navigation come with lifetime maps as with Garmin GPS devices? TIA.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,303
Thanks: 329
Thanked 358 Times in 312 Posts
Rep Power: 1801820
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Uconnect subscriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifiwanderer View Post
So calling 9-1-1 requires a subscription, but GPS navigation does not require a subscription? Does GPS navigation come with lifetime maps as with Garmin GPS devices? TIA.
Maps, which are not updated frequently will be in the neighborhood of $200 per update.


___
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: California
Posts: 23
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 153
wifiwanderer is on a distinguished road
Re: Uconnect subscriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Maps, which are not updated frequently will be in the neighborhood of $200 per update.
Good grief! Will be sticking with my Garmin and its lifetime quarterly new maps. Thanks for the info.

The Uconnect manual repeatedly advises users that various features require a subscription, but subscription cost info is limited to owners. The outrageous map update fee that is higher than the cost of the Garmin lifetime maps subscription leads me to suspect the Uconnect Access subscriptions will be pricey, too. FYI, Garmin GPS devices now include lifetime maps at no additional cost. Had to pay a onetime $150 fee for lifetime maps when I bought my Garmin GPS device some years ago.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 19
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 465
NYCDrew is on a distinguished road
Re: Uconnect subscriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifiwanderer View Post
Good grief! Will be sticking with my Garmin and its lifetime quarterly new maps. Thanks for the info.

The Uconnect manual repeatedly advises users that various features require a subscription, but subscription cost info is limited to owners. The outrageous map update fee that is higher than the cost of the Garmin lifetime maps subscription leads me to suspect the Uconnect Access subscriptions will be pricey, too. FYI, Garmin GPS devices now include lifetime maps at no additional cost. Had to pay a onetime $150 fee for lifetime maps when I bought my Garmin GPS device some years ago.
The subscription cost for Uconnect Access is $14.99/month. For the subscription price you get:
- Start, lock, unlock, panic button via the uconnect smartphone app.
- Use of the Yelp app
- 911 & Service call using buttons on rearview mirror
- text/email if car alarm goes off
- ability for police to track the vehicle if it gets stolen
- respond to text messages on your phone using voice

The other features of the radio are free and do not require a subscription, other than the SiriusXM related features which do.
__________________
Current Ride:
2014 JGC Limited 4x4, 3.6L, 20" tires.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 133
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 722
whartung is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Uconnect subscriptions

Well I'll just chime is that subscription or no, the 9-1-1 should work.

As I understand it, 9-1-1 works from any cell phone, activated or not, plan or not. All it needs is power and a compatible cell tower. The 9-1-1 button should cue up the speaker phone to let you talk, and that's it. I appreciate that perhaps with the service, you get an air bag deploy event, which it sent to call center, and they can act like an alarm monitoring company. "Hello, Chrysler call center, are you ok?" Sure, that's a value add.

But having a one button 9-1-1 that does just that, skipping the call center if not subscribed, that should be part and parcel to the vehicle.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 44
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 96
michaelk is on a distinguished road
Re: Uconnect subscriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Well I'll just chime is that subscription or no, the 9-1-1 should work.

As I understand it, 9-1-1 works from any cell phone, activated or not, plan or not. All it needs is power and a compatible cell tower. The 9-1-1 button should cue up the speaker phone to let you talk, and that's it. I appreciate that perhaps with the service, you get an air bag deploy event, which it sent to call center, and they can act like an alarm monitoring company. "Hello, Chrysler call center, are you ok?" Sure, that's a value add.

But having a one button 9-1-1 that does just that, skipping the call center if not subscribed, that should be part and parcel to the vehicle.

I'd agree. But clearly they dont see it that way. I'm surprised the feds dont mandate something like that. I think they get away with it since it's not a "phone" but they put a "data modem" in the radio. It's all the same but the government doesn't deal with change fast enough to know.

On the price of the maps- I have a 2007 Pacifica with NAV and they annual map updates have always been crazy expensive. Even if they were quarterly it's still crap compared to updated contstantly google maps which is free to use. One day maybe cars will come with a screen that just mirrors your smartphone but then they couldn't charge 14.99 for uconnect, XX for sirius traffic/weather, and $200 a year for map updates, (oh and a bajillion bucks for 3g hotspot on the 3rd rate carrier when you can have your phone make a 4g hotspot or get a delphi hotspot that costs $5 and uses your shared data...) so i wont hold my breath.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
uconnect

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anything different about UConnect 8.4 radio RA3 and UConnect Access Via Mobile REDDIZE Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 4 08-19-2014 11:55 PM
Basic Stock Radio and UConnect harveycola Audio/Visual/Navigation 3 09-26-2012 08:49 AM
Uconnect Wi-fi Jpeyatt Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 8 01-16-2012 10:35 AM
site subscriptions are BACK UP! Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 4 07-08-2011 07:54 PM
How to add autodim and Uconnect Scottina06 Technical Tips/DIY/How-To 9 12-21-2010 08:14 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community