Purchased an extremely clean 2004 Overland a couple months ago and have been doing some "updates" to it. Things such as LED tails, custom HID projector headlight setup, and now a double DIN nav setup.
After a lot of research on what to do with the required two DIN face plate, I decided to go with the one from ebay seller "autoware302" as I read that it had the closest match to the factory black plastic texture and color. It arrived and sure enough the quality and fitment is excellent. If the 99-04 Grand Cherokee came from the factory with a double DIN bezel it would be with this kit. This kit also comes with the required wire harness and antenna adapter.
As many of you may know a decent amount of work is required behind the dash to get the double DIN radio to fit. The good thing is its just some useless plastic removal and nothing more. Whats even better is the original factory radio can be reinstalled at a later date if need be. I used my dremel tool to remove all the plastic pieces in the dash and would then trial fit the radio until it fit correctly. The next hardest part was the swapping of the original vents from the factory wood bezel, to the new double din bezel. This requires drilling or heating the plastic tabs to get it off. You then reinstall to the new bezel and I used my soldering iron to melt the plastic tabs in place. Worked great!
Once all that is done its a normal radio install like all others. I went with Kenwood's new DNX571HD which has bluetooth, built in HD radio, Garmin navigation etc etc. Awesome radio! Looks excellent and so far it works flawlessly.
Here are all the install pictures.
The new radio, wire harness, and Axxess steering wheel control module.
Closeup of the "autoware302" bezel.
Vents installed onto "autoware302" bezel.
Radio attaches and secured to the bezel. At first I was a bit concerned how sturdy it would be, but after its on its not going anywhere. Not only that, but the double DIN radio is lighter than I thought it would be.
Dash cavity all cleared out and plastic removed.
This is what ended up being removed. Parts from the top and bottom of the opening.
Wire harness all cleanly attached to the Kenwood harness as well as the Axxess ASWC-1 steering control module.
The finished product!!!
Here are some exterior shots showing the upgraded lights.