Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WJ

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-28-2013, 12:32 PM
bakpakr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 462
bakpakr is on a distinguished road
Garage
Canbus, PCI Bus

I understand that my 2004 GC Limited uses the PCI Bus system and that in 2005 Jeep switched to the Canbus system.

As I have been told I can for the most part just pop out the old incandescent bulb and put an LED in it's place with no repercussions.

My question is will the PCI Bus in any way impact installation of any LED bulbs? Due to the lower power consumption with the LED's I want to avoid any problems.

Also can I use Canbus LED's? If I do what problems if any would I observe in their use?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Frango100's Avatar
Premium Member

My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,889
Thanks: 9
Thanked 90 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 525837
Frango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canbus, PCI Bus

The PCI bus is just a data bus in between several components (PCM, TCM, BCM, to mention a few). There is no light connected directly to the data bus.
So the data bus should not be the limiting factor for the use of LEDīs.
__________________

__________________
Frank

JEEP Grand Cherokee 4.7 Lmtd 2004
HID 8000K in low and fog / Quad Squad member
KYB Gas-a-Just shocks / Pirelli Scorpion ATR 245/65/17 - Transgo reprogramming shiftkit.

VW Beetle 2.0 TSI 2013
My new toy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM
bakpakr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 462
bakpakr is on a distinguished road
Garage
Thanks Frango

I was not sure if any illumination devices used the PCI. It is my understanding that the Canbus system has the capacity to detect inoperative lights. I was not sure if the PCI had the same capability.

As for canbus bulbs can i use them?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Frango100's Avatar
Premium Member

My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,889
Thanks: 9
Thanked 90 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 525837
Frango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canbus, PCI Bus

Never heard of canbus bulbs
__________________
Frank

JEEP Grand Cherokee 4.7 Lmtd 2004
HID 8000K in low and fog / Quad Squad member
KYB Gas-a-Just shocks / Pirelli Scorpion ATR 245/65/17 - Transgo reprogramming shiftkit.

VW Beetle 2.0 TSI 2013
My new toy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 858 Times in 469 Posts
Rep Power: 1927052
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Canbus, PCI Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpakr View Post
I understand that my 2004 GC Limited uses the PCI Bus system and that in 2005 Jeep switched to the Canbus system.

As I have been told I can for the most part just pop out the old incandescent bulb and put an LED in it's place with no repercussions.

My question is will the PCI Bus in any way impact installation of any LED bulbs? Due to the lower power consumption with the LED's I want to avoid any problems.

Also can I use Canbus LED's? If I do what problems if any would I observe in their use?
The switcher for the turn signals might not like the loading and you may get a rapid turn signal or no blink at all. This can be corrected with a resistor but check with the LED manufacturer for specs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 PM
bakpakr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 462
bakpakr is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Canbus, PCI Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
Never heard of canbus bulbs
Here is an example of one for my cargo light;

569 578 212-2 9W CREE Canbus LED Festoon Bulb
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:38 PM
bakpakr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 462
bakpakr is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Canbus, PCI Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post
The switcher for the turn signals might not like the loading and you may get a rapid turn signal or no blink at all. This can be corrected with a resistor but check with the LED manufacturer for specs.
Yea from everything I am finding the turn signals and four ways may not like LED's without either a resister or flasher replace. I just want to make sure that I don't get any blips in the computer with LED's. All the info and advice I have been receiving leads me to believe the electrical system and the computer will not care if I use LED's.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:24 AM
TJXJWJ's Avatar
The "pre" SRT 8
My Jeep: 2004 4.7 HO WJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 3,496
Thanks: 202
Thanked 82 Times in 70 Posts
Rep Power: 286850
TJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
I've got regular LEDs all over the interior and exterior. I had to add resistors to the signal bulbs and one inside (rear cargo bulb). Everything works as it should and its been like that for probably 2 years now.
__________________
Tony-04 Limited HO, DkKhaki w/tan leather int. All LED lighting, 5000k Xtreme HID projs. (deambered)&fogs w/CCFL rings, tinted tails&3rd LED brake lt, fnt glass tinted to match, shawty antenna, 6 Polk speakers, K&N FIPK, FR 70mm TB, TCM#10 snip, Flashpaq'ed on 91 tune, Bilstien HD's, Addcos, polished 20" SRT reps, Hankook Ventus Evos (255-45), Weathertech mats, EBC USR rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, Magnaflow muffler, RB1 Nav w/iPod kit, de-badged, roof rack delete.
09 Liberty KK Rocky Mountain Edition. Added Mopar Remote Start kit, Weathertech Mats, K&N drop-in.
PAST JEEPS : 99 TJ Sport, 98 XJ Sport, 06 WK Laredo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2013, 12:16 PM
bakpakr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 462
bakpakr is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Canbus, PCI Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJXJWJ View Post
I've got regular LEDs all over the interior and exterior. I had to add resistors to the signal bulbs and one inside (rear cargo bulb). Everything works as it should and its been like that for probably 2 years now.
Excellent, Thanks

Could you please tell me why you had to add a resistor to the rear cargo?

I also plan on changing all bulbs to LED's with the exception of the headlights both high and low. I am still on the fence with the fog lights. I may go HID with them as well as my headlights.

Like I said I do not want to modify the existing wiring harness in any way. What I plan is if I need any resisters or other components to get the stock operation. I will insert them in the component or I will construct an extension with the proper connectors and the needed component. That way I can just plug it in between the aftermarket component and the stock wiring harness. That way if I ever decide to revert to the stock configuration it is just a matter of unplugging and plugging in the stock components.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2013, 02:17 PM
TJXJWJ's Avatar
The "pre" SRT 8
My Jeep: 2004 4.7 HO WJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 3,496
Thanks: 202
Thanked 82 Times in 70 Posts
Rep Power: 286850
TJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Canbus, PCI Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpakr View Post
Excellent, Thanks

Could you please tell me why you had to add a resistor to the rear cargo?

I also plan on changing all bulbs to LED's with the exception of the headlights both high and low. I am still on the fence with the fog lights. I may go HID with them as well as my headlights.

Like I said I do not want to modify the existing wiring harness in any way. What I plan is if I need any resisters or other components to get the stock operation. I will insert them in the component or I will construct an extension with the proper connectors and the needed component. That way I can just plug it in between the aftermarket component and the stock wiring harness. That way if I ever decide to revert to the stock configuration it is just a matter of unplugging and plugging in the stock components.
I did modify harnesses, but only to splice in the resistors. Other than that, nothing was touched. To answer your question about the interior, if you leave one incandescent in on the interior dome lighting circuit, a resistor ISN'T needed, but if you're like me and you want ALL the dome bulbs to match in LED, you'll need to add a resistor to one of the bulbs in the circuit. It doesn't matter which one. If you don't, the interior lights will not turn off completely when you close the doors. Instead, all of the bulbs will remain dimly lit. I can't remember if it was just one resistor for the entire dome circuit, or two. I know for a fact there is one on my rear cargo area bulb. There may be another one in one of the footwells. I converted my footwell bulbs, glovebox lamp, map lights, vanity mirror lights, the bulbs near the grab handles overhead, and the cargo area light. I think that's all of them.
__________________
Tony-04 Limited HO, DkKhaki w/tan leather int. All LED lighting, 5000k Xtreme HID projs. (deambered)&fogs w/CCFL rings, tinted tails&3rd LED brake lt, fnt glass tinted to match, shawty antenna, 6 Polk speakers, K&N FIPK, FR 70mm TB, TCM#10 snip, Flashpaq'ed on 91 tune, Bilstien HD's, Addcos, polished 20" SRT reps, Hankook Ventus Evos (255-45), Weathertech mats, EBC USR rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, Magnaflow muffler, RB1 Nav w/iPod kit, de-badged, roof rack delete.
09 Liberty KK Rocky Mountain Edition. Added Mopar Remote Start kit, Weathertech Mats, K&N drop-in.
PAST JEEPS : 99 TJ Sport, 98 XJ Sport, 06 WK Laredo
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:15 PM
bakpakr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 462
bakpakr is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Canbus, PCI Bus

Thanks for the reply.

Yea I plan on replacing all my incandescent bulbs with LED's as well.

I most likely will leave the "non user serviced" bulbs alone, (for now). The ones that are soldered directly to a circuit board.

I can see how I will need to have a resistor or resistors for the dome lighting circuit. If it was an on and off circuit I would not need them but being that it has an auto-dim feature it must need a certain current draw to operate the dimmer. Whereas LED's alone will not create enough of a draw.

As I stated I will construct extensions with the needed resistors. Just have to source the appropriate connectors. I am sure I can find them. There is always junk yards with tons of connectors. Would rather use new as opposed to used.

Did you have any fitment issues with any of the LED's? I have spoken to a few individuals that have told me that LED's are taller than stock bulbs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM
TJXJWJ's Avatar
The "pre" SRT 8
My Jeep: 2004 4.7 HO WJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Aurora, OH
Posts: 3,496
Thanks: 202
Thanked 82 Times in 70 Posts
Rep Power: 286850
TJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond reputeTJXJWJ has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Canbus, PCI Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakpakr View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Yea I plan on replacing all my incandescent bulbs with LED's as well.

I most likely will leave the "non user serviced" bulbs alone, (for now). The ones that are soldered directly to a circuit board.

I can see how I will need to have a resistor or resistors for the dome lighting circuit. If it was an on and off circuit I would not need them but being that it has an auto-dim feature it must need a certain current draw to operate the dimmer. Whereas LED's alone will not create enough of a draw.

As I stated I will construct extensions with the needed resistors. Just have to source the appropriate connectors. I am sure I can find them. There is always junk yards with tons of connectors. Would rather use new as opposed to used.

Did you have any fitment issues with any of the LED's? I have spoken to a few individuals that have told me that LED's are taller than stock bulbs.
I did the same...I did not replace any circuit board LEDs...just the various wedge and festoon style ones. I had no fitment issues at all...I used VLEDS.com. They have extremely high quality stuff.
__________________

__________________
Tony-04 Limited HO, DkKhaki w/tan leather int. All LED lighting, 5000k Xtreme HID projs. (deambered)&fogs w/CCFL rings, tinted tails&3rd LED brake lt, fnt glass tinted to match, shawty antenna, 6 Polk speakers, K&N FIPK, FR 70mm TB, TCM#10 snip, Flashpaq'ed on 91 tune, Bilstien HD's, Addcos, polished 20" SRT reps, Hankook Ventus Evos (255-45), Weathertech mats, EBC USR rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, Magnaflow muffler, RB1 Nav w/iPod kit, de-badged, roof rack delete.
09 Liberty KK Rocky Mountain Edition. Added Mopar Remote Start kit, Weathertech Mats, K&N drop-in.
PAST JEEPS : 99 TJ Sport, 98 XJ Sport, 06 WK Laredo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No bus Willir2 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 26 10-19-2012 09:24 PM
PCI Bus Issue caprice Troubleshooting/Problems 6 02-01-2012 03:02 AM
Is there canbus on 2004 jeep GC overland? Flowmaster Grand Cherokee - WJ 1 08-15-2011 07:34 PM
'05 WK Ltd Canbus problem remmy Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 0 01-29-2011 01:29 AM
Hid canbus pro jugganator Grand Cherokee - WK 25 08-22-2010 03:40 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community