Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Modifications & Enhancements > Performance Modifications

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
speedyway is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 4.7HO Modding questions

Hi,
New member here and would like to ask for some Jeep tuning advice for my 02 Grand Cherokee Overland with the 4.7HO engine. I would like to thank AdamJ for pointing me out to his forum. He had a similar Jeep that I saw from the jeepsunlimited forum that was tuned so I asked him about it.

So far the only mod for power I had done is the Magnaflow exhaust. I’m looking to add a little bit more HP and torque with the K&N cold air intake, a bigger throttle body and the Superchips tune. I’m hoping the combination of these 4 mods will give me a nice boost. I’m looking for general opinions on these mods. How much more power/torque can I expect? How will my Jeep behave, sound and feel? AdamJ did similar mods and sounds like he got a real nice boost (and mile time to prove it).

My questions regarding the specific parts:

K&N FIPK – Does it let more dirt into the engine being less restrictive? Is the main reason that it is much louder is because you’re getting rid of the resonator? Can it mess with the throttle body being an oily filter and why does it need to be oily to catch dirt?

Superchip 3875 – I’m using 93 gas already so I guess I would be getting a real boost with this tune. Any downside of this chip? I read that it optimizes shifts. Does this mean it gets rid of torque management? And if it does, what is the down side of it? More wear on the transmission and less smoothness? Does it only affect shifts under WOT?

Throttle Body – I’m thinking about getting either the F&B 70mm or the Fastman bored 68.5mm (save some cash). How does a larger throttle body help increase HP? Does it affect throttle response? Why would a too large TB actually decrease power?

Thanks and looking forward to replies.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Unholyskorn86's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bristol, CT
Posts: 566
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 2363
Unholyskorn86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Unholyskorn86
Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

The only thing I can comment on for this is the Throttle body. Just take your stock TB and send it to Sleepy (flyin ryan) and have it bored out. Much less money and he is a very good guy to work with!

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f59/
__________________

__________________
WANT TO MAKE MONEY? http://tinyurl.com/lolbusup
Then PM me for more info!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2010, 09:19 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
freedom77 is on a distinguished road
Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyway View Post
Hi,
New member here and would like to ask for some Jeep tuning advice for my 02 Grand Cherokee Overland with the 4.7HO engine. I would like to thank AdamJ for pointing me out to his forum. He had a similar Jeep that I saw from the jeepsunlimited forum that was tuned so I asked him about it.

So far the only mod for power I had done is the Magnaflow exhaust. Im looking to add a little bit more HP and torque with the K&N cold air intake, a bigger throttle body and the Superchips tune. Im hoping the combination of these 4 mods will give me a nice boost. Im looking for general opinions on these mods. How much more power/torque can I expect? How will my Jeep behave, sound and feel? AdamJ did similar mods and sounds like he got a real nice boost (and mile time to prove it).

My questions regarding the specific parts:

K&N FIPK Does it let more dirt into the engine being less restrictive? Is the main reason that it is much louder is because youre getting rid of the resonator? Can it mess with the throttle body being an oily filter and why does it need to be oily to catch dirt?

Superchip 3875 Im using 93 gas already so I guess I would be getting a real boost with this tune. Any downside of this chip? I read that it optimizes shifts. Does this mean it gets rid of torque management? And if it does, what is the down side of it? More wear on the transmission and less smoothness? Does it only affect shifts under WOT?

Throttle Body Im thinking about getting either the F&B 70mm or the Fastman bored 68.5mm (save some cash). How does a larger throttle body help increase HP? Does it affect throttle response? Why would a too large TB actually decrease power?

Thanks and looking forward to replies.
First off, welcome to the garage! I hope this board is as useful for you as it has been for me. So now on to your questions. I have a 04 WJ Freedom Edition with the h.o and I recently have added the parts you have in question. I have the K&N FIPK 57 series and the Superchips Flashpaq 3875. I ordered them online through airram.com for $560 shipped. As far as how much power, I'm not sure how much hp/torque my Jeep is putting to the wheels, but K&N claims 13hp gains on this engine, and Superchips claims a max of 21hp increase. I can definitely feel a difference. Especially with the tuner. The tuner increases the shift firmness and is very recognizable. Along with the mid range torque. Not to sure the intake benefits too much, seeing how the h.o stock intake is pretty non restrictive itself. But, I can tell you this, it sounds alot better and louder IMO. Both are worth the buy. As far as letting more dirt into the engine, not really sure yet, I've only had it about 2 weeks. And yes, the reason the intake is louder is because there is no longer a resonator. I know you clean the intake with oil but it doesn't require oil to catch dirt, and it shouldn't cause problems with the throttle body. And for the tuner, you are going to benefit most from the 91 octane tune. It has the highest hp/torque gains, and it increases shift firmness as I mentioned earlier. And yes, it only affects shifts under WOT. Regular shifts still feel the same. Shouldn't harm the transmission as long as you don't beat on it all the time. The only downside to the tuner, is the $ it will cost you to run 91+ octane. But since you already run 93, then shouldn't be a problem for you. .As far as the throttle body, I'm still running the stocker for now, but I'm considering having mine bored to 70mm. The Superchips Flashpaq is not compatible with throttle bodies larger than 70mm. From what I have read, a larger throttle body increases hp and throttle response by increasing more air into the engine. The throttle body is part of the whole intake system, so therefor benefits by maximizing the airflow from the FIPK you will be adding. And yes, too large of a throttle body can decrease performance if not correctly tuned. The engines computer can not readjust for the added amount of increased air without a proper tune. I hope this helps. BTW only other mods I'm running are Flowmaster exhaust, and 180 thermostat.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
speedyway is on a distinguished road
Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholyskorn86 View Post
The only thing I can comment on for this is the Throttle body. Just take your stock TB and send it to Sleepy (flyin ryan) and have it bored out. Much less money and he is a very good guy to work with!

http://www.jeepgarage.org/forumdisplay.php?f=59
Thanks. I emailed him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
speedyway is on a distinguished road
Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom77 View Post
First off, welcome to the garage! I hope this board is as useful for you as it has been for me. So now on to your questions. I have a 04 WJ Freedom Edition with the h.o and I recently have added the parts you have in question. I have the K&N FIPK 57 series and the Superchips Flashpaq 3875. I ordered them online through airram.com for $560 shipped. As far as how much power, I'm not sure how much hp/torque my Jeep is putting to the wheels, but K&N claims 13hp gains on this engine, and Superchips claims a max of 21hp increase. I can definitely feel a difference. Especially with the tuner. The tuner increases the shift firmness and is very recognizable. Along with the mid range torque. Not to sure the intake benefits too much, seeing how the h.o stock intake is pretty non restrictive itself. But, I can tell you this, it sounds alot better and louder IMO. Both are worth the buy. As far as letting more dirt into the engine, not really sure yet, I've only had it about 2 weeks. And yes, the reason the intake is louder is because there is no longer a resonator. I know you clean the intake with oil but it doesn't require oil to catch dirt, and it shouldn't cause problems with the throttle body. And for the tuner, you are going to benefit most from the 91 octane tune. It has the highest hp/torque gains, and it increases shift firmness as I mentioned earlier. And yes, it only affects shifts under WOT. Regular shifts still feel the same. Shouldn't harm the transmission as long as you don't beat on it all the time. The only downside to the tuner, is the $ it will cost you to run 91+ octane. But since you already run 93, then shouldn't be a problem for you. .As far as the throttle body, I'm still running the stocker for now, but I'm considering having mine bored to 70mm. The Superchips Flashpaq is not compatible with throttle bodies larger than 70mm. From what I have read, a larger throttle body increases hp and throttle response by increasing more air into the engine. The throttle body is part of the whole intake system, so therefor benefits by maximizing the airflow from the FIPK you will be adding. And yes, too large of a throttle body can decrease performance if not correctly tuned. The engines computer can not readjust for the added amount of increased air without a proper tune. I hope this helps. BTW only other mods I'm running are Flowmaster exhaust, and 180 thermostat.
Lots of great info. Thanks. Sounds like lots of satisfied 4.7HO owners from the Superchips tune. I will give that a try. I know this question always depends on how your drive but assuming you drove the same, any changes in MPG from the tune?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Scottina06's Avatar
JeepGarage Founder
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 49,097
Thanks: 859
Thanked 936 Times in 670 Posts
Rep Power: 7717711
Scottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

I would go with the 70mm F&B or fastman. They are a work of art....plus dont pay that much for the fastman.....call and talk to Dan and tell him Scott from jeepgarage sent you and you want the $100 ported tb.
__________________
SCOTT
The HARDER you work...the LUCKIER you are!
2014 REDLINE red Jeep SRT "BLOODIED Edition" 1 of 1
2013 JKU Wrangler 10A-stormtrooper'ed, JW Speaker and more!
Previous JEEP rides-
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-deep cherry
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-inferno red



Twitter-The_Jeep_Guy
Instagram-thejeep_guy

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-23-2010, 12:30 PM
FlyinRyan's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,801
Thanks: 33
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 88608
FlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FlyinRyan
Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyway View Post
Thanks. I emailed him.
Just saw this. Welcome to the Garage. What address did you email? I haven't recieved anything.
__________________
Due to my workload, please do not PM me as I do not regularly check my PMs. Thank you :)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
scjeep4.7HO's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.7 HO WJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,515
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 36234
scjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to scjeep4.7HO
Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

How serious are you about making power? include how wild it may get at some point. I have done just about everything that is able to be done at this point. If you want serious parts that can be built upon, get the F&B TB. They are works of functional art. I run the 72mm and I am trying to get a custom one made just for me. superchips is good for standard mods but SCT is better for people who want more. If you have the 4.7HO you need to be running premium fuel in it anyways despite the tune for optimum performance.
__________________
Supercharged 4.7L HO. If you would like to know more just ask.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
speedyway is on a distinguished road
Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

I run 93 gas already.

What is the SCT custom tune? I know it costs a lot more but what you get out of it? Do you take your jeep to a SCT dealer to get it tuned?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 AM
scjeep4.7HO's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.7 HO WJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,515
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 36234
scjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond reputescjeep4.7HO has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to scjeep4.7HO
Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyway View Post
I run 93 gas already.

What is the SCT custom tune? I know it costs a lot more but what you get out of it? Do you take your jeep to a SCT dealer to get it tuned?
SCT is a handheld tuner much like superchips. Most of us use Sean AKA HEMIFEVER@aol.com (his contact info) to make our custom tunes. SCT can do whatever you want performance wise. You can tune for more gas mileage (which I don't think anyone really does) different tunes for different fuel grades, different mods from intake and exhaust to complete blower, turbo or nitrous applications without having anything extra other than a remapped PCM. It is able to have the tunes updated for every change made where superchips has basic canned tunes for generic mods. Superchips has an advanted only in tranny control at this point. There are other new cheap mods for tranny upgrades now that you don't have to dig into the tranny to get little benefits.
__________________
Supercharged 4.7L HO. If you would like to know more just ask.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 AM
BUBBADOG's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 1,041
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3014
BUBBADOG has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBADOG has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBADOG has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBADOG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

Hands down bro go SCT u will not find a better tuner or tune for your jeep than that!!!
__________________
SHOULD ALWAYS CHECKS YOUR KIDS HOMEWORK!!!................
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7 HO WJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1628
Jaster386 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jaster386 Send a message via Skype™ to Jaster386
Question Re: 4.7HO Modding questions

I also have the 4.7l HO and have been looking at getting a tuner for it way down the line. Need to get an exhaust for it first. Have been looking at the STC website, but couldn't find the one for the 4.7. Is there a specific one for it? If so could you please link it.

A couple questions regarding this tuner. You said it could hold multiple tunes on the device, is it pretty easy to switch between tunes. The Jeep is my wife's daily driver and i don't think that she should have that much power at all times and would like her to have a better MPG. My father also has an 05 WK with the HEMI, can he share the same tuner or would he have to purchase his own? Since the tuner I saw were expensive it would be easier if I could split the cost with someone else. These are just some questions that came up off the the top of my head and not sure if they are reasonable or even if they are applicable.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Richie's Supercharged 4.7HO scjeep4.7HO Members Rides 781 04-11-2014 01:37 PM
Modding the steering Dylans3960ccs Troubleshooting/Problems 39 12-18-2009 08:19 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community