5.7L American Racing Headers! - Page 12 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Modifications & Enhancements > Performance Modifications

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #133  
Old 10-09-2016, 10:07 AM
wkjoe79's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 82
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 244
wkjoe79 is on a distinguished road
Re: 5.7L American Racing Headers!

Can't argue when u put it that way. As I mentioned and am sure you already know it's all about the recipe!


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #134  
Old 10-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Michael Plummer's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 154
Thanks: 12
Thanked 83 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 16025
Michael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5.7L American Racing Headers!


Not sure if everyone is aware of this but these are log style manifolds and not some cheap restrictive header.

I asked S. G. (Engineer) at Ford Motor Company (I use to do beta-testing for him) and asked if he knew of anyone from Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat who might be able to shed some light on this subject. Basically he said the following, the stk. OEM exhaust manifolds are classified as log style (which I already knew) and are used in a lot of different setups/configurations for street and some performance vehicles. He also said he believes the Engineers at Jeep have a patent on these log style manifolds, because they believe their design enhances flow.

OEM Engineers don't like to get involved in internet forums debate and he asked I don't use his name but he approved of what I posted above.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer
__________________
2014 Jeep CG 5.7L Overland: 304rwhp & 337rwtq & 14.58@95.18 (K&N CAI, Diablosport inTune, Pedal Commander)
1994 Mustang Saleen: 890rwhp & 771rwtq
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 10-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,847
Thanks: 393
Thanked 651 Times in 586 Posts
Rep Power: 324058
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plummer View Post
Not sure if everyone is aware of this but these are log style manifolds and not some cheap restrictive header.

I asked S. G. (Engineer) at Ford Motor Company (I use to do beta-testing for him) and asked if he knew of anyone from Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat who might be able to shed some light on this subject. Basically he said the following, the stk. OEM exhaust manifolds are classified as log style (which I already knew) and are used in a lot of different setups/configurations for street and some performance vehicles. He also said he believes the Engineers at Jeep have a patent on these log style manifolds, because they believe their design enhances flow.

OEM Engineers don't like to get involved in internet forums debate and he asked I don't use his name but he approved of what I posted above.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer
If jeep thinks the logs improve flow they are high.

This was what i pulled off my jeep, again off the 3.7 but it is a similar design to the 5.7 manifold

Bottom pic are the headers i am running. Not only have i gotten better fuel milage, but i also took 3 tenths off my drag times. Proof of concept that tube headers are superior to stock logs. That 3 tenths was before any tune what so ever.

419NzuLwpSL._SY355_.jpg



downloadfile.jpg
__________________
URL]
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 10-09-2016, 05:02 PM
wkjoe79's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 82
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 244
wkjoe79 is on a distinguished road
Re: 5.7L American Racing Headers!

+1
And results would have been even greater with some long tube headers


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 10-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,847
Thanks: 393
Thanked 651 Times in 586 Posts
Rep Power: 324058
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkjoe79 View Post
+1
And results would have been even greater with some long tube headers

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Yup. No one makes em tho. I may build my own set and all new mids for when i turbo this thing
__________________
URL]
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 10-09-2016, 06:19 PM
wkjoe79's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 82
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 244
wkjoe79 is on a distinguished road
5.7L American Racing Headers!

👍🏼
That's why I got the OBXr SRT8 set


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 10-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Michael Plummer's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 154
Thanks: 12
Thanked 83 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 16025
Michael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5.7L American Racing Headers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
If jeep thinks the logs improve flow they are high.

This was what i pulled off my jeep, again off the 3.7 but it is a similar design to the 5.7 manifold

Bottom pic are the headers i am running. Not only have i gotten better fuel milage, but i also took 3 tenths off my drag times. Proof of concept that tube headers are superior to stock logs. That 3 tenths was before any tune what so ever.

Attachment 72721



Attachment 72720
Strongjeff,
Thanks for your input. But I have no idea if your 3 tenth reduce was a result of better traction or more horsepower and I'm assuming this was on a 1/4 mile dragstrip.

Do you have the difference in mph between the runs you're talking about?

Picking up 3 tenth of a second is pretty impressive and is on avg. an 30HP increase at the engine. Now factor in driveline loss(16%-25% and I'm assuming here) and your 30HP is reduced to 25HP- 22HP to the tires. If that's the case then you are doing an incredible job at getting all your power to the ground along with your driving....congrats.

Thanks again
Michael Plummer
__________________
2014 Jeep CG 5.7L Overland: 304rwhp & 337rwtq & 14.58@95.18 (K&N CAI, Diablosport inTune, Pedal Commander)
1994 Mustang Saleen: 890rwhp & 771rwtq
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 10-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,847
Thanks: 393
Thanked 651 Times in 586 Posts
Rep Power: 324058
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plummer View Post
Strongjeff,
Thanks for your input. But I have no idea if your 3 tenth reduce was a result of better traction or more horsepower and I'm assuming this was on a 1/4 mile dragstrip.

Do you have the difference in mph between the runs you're talking about?

Picking up 3 tenth of a second is pretty impressive and is on avg. an 30HP increase at the engine. Now factor in driveline loss(16%-25% and I'm assuming here) and your 30HP is reduced to 25HP- 22HP to the tires. If that's the case then you are doing an incredible job at getting all your power to the ground along with your driving....congrats.

Thanks again
Michael Plummer
All runs were made in the 8th mile. Wish i had a 1/4mile near me....
Im running about 2-3 mph faster on the top end, 70+ thru the lights at the end.

Your pretty close on DL too. Ive got the srt trans behind the 3.7 and being rwd means im about 15-17% losses
__________________
URL]
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 10-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Michael Plummer's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 154
Thanks: 12
Thanked 83 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 16025
Michael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Plummer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5.7L American Racing Headers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
All runs were made in the 8th mile. Wish i had a 1/4mile near me....
Im running about 2-3 mph faster on the top end, 70+ thru the lights at the end.

Your pretty close on DL too. Ive got the srt trans behind the 3.7 and being rwd means im about 15-17% losses
Strongjeff,
Again, thanks for posting but I wish you had some hard data to view.


I have 2 questions.

1) Can I assume the HP increases from headers from a 3.7L, would be better on a 5.7L and the HP increase would be greatest on the 6.1L or 6.4L engine?

2) I leave you guys/gals with this. A exhaust system cannot make or generate more HP. Unless the stk. system is a restriction, then an aftermarket system will minimize the restriction and show an increase in power and that is a fact. But where does the restriction exists? Is it really down low in the rpm band or maybe at the top of the rpm band or perhaps it exists thru out the whole rpm band? Any ideas?

Thank you
Michael Plummer
__________________
2014 Jeep CG 5.7L Overland: 304rwhp & 337rwtq & 14.58@95.18 (K&N CAI, Diablosport inTune, Pedal Commander)
1994 Mustang Saleen: 890rwhp & 771rwtq
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 10-10-2016, 05:32 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,847
Thanks: 393
Thanked 651 Times in 586 Posts
Rep Power: 324058
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plummer View Post
Strongjeff,
Again, thanks for posting but I wish you had some hard data to view.

I have 2 questions.

1) Can I assume the HP increases from headers from a 3.7L, would be better on a 5.7L and the HP increase would be greatest on the 6.1L or 6.4L engine?

2) I leave you guys/gals with this. A exhaust system cannot make or generate more HP. Unless the stk. system is a restriction, then an aftermarket system will minimize the restriction and show an increase in power and that is a fact. But where does the restriction exists? Is it really down low in the rpm band or maybe at the top of the rpm band or perhaps it exists thru out the whole rpm band? Any ideas?

Thank you
Michael Plummer
You know what. I'm done, you've had multiple people tell you the stock manifolds are the restriction and you keep doubting what we say. I told you the 3.7 manifolds are a similar design to the 5.7. If i picked up power just from headers alone, what makes you think the 5.7 won't benefit from them, especially when the jeep 5.7 is the most restricted. Do us a favor and stop posting if you're just gonna keep doubting. And i have given you hard evidence. Just leave your jeep stock since mods aren't for you.
__________________
URL]
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 10-10-2016, 06:44 PM
wkjoe79's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 82
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 244
wkjoe79 is on a distinguished road
Re: 5.7L American Racing Headers!

Now now boys let's not get our panties in a bunch!😝
Micheal there may not always be "hard evidence" to support the things we do cause we don't all have Dyno's or the budget available. Fact is most of us use seat of the pants Dyno and if many members and tuners agree on a certain topic we tend to believe it and go ahead with the mod. The exhaust system can only increase power so much through velocity and a scavenging effect but it can free up some trapped power and I think that's where the most confusion occurs when we talk about this topic.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 10-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,847
Thanks: 393
Thanked 651 Times in 586 Posts
Rep Power: 324058
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkjoe79 View Post
Now now boys let's not get our panties in a bunch!?de1d
Micheal there may not always be "hard evidence" to support the things we do cause we don't all have Dyno's or the budget available. Fact is most of us use seat of the pants Dyno and if many members and tuners agree on a certain topic we tend to believe it and go ahead with the mod. The exhaust system can only increase power so much through velocity and a scavenging effect but it can free up some trapped power and I think that's where the most confusion occurs when we talk about this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Point is, i have hard track data that shows proof of concept and he still doubts what we say. Idk why he even still coments on here.
__________________
URL]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
headers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American Racing Headers Jpiwonski Performance Modifications 16 03-02-2015 12:37 AM
American Racing Headers and catback Scottina06 Engine Performance/Intakes and Exhausts/Superchargers/Turbos 19 02-10-2013 03:07 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.