Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Modifications & Enhancements > Performance Modifications

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 AM
chefalan23's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 222
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2076
chefalan23 is on a distinguished road
cam install

i cant find a cam intall ariticle for a 5.7 jeep anywhere online. how labor intesive is the job? i know these pushrod motors are supposed to be easier to do a cam swap than a OHC motor. i was quoted in the 1200 dollar range to do cam install on my sohc mustang, and was wondering if anyone had a guess as to what its going to be on a hemi. i was looking at the crazy spartan cam from interiamotorsports http://www.inertiamotorsports.com/camshafts.html ill be doing new valvesprings and pushrods too, so take that into account.
__________________

__________________
07 JGC 2wd HEMI
4" Round Magnaflow with Reso Delete, Side Exit
93 oct Predetor Tune
MTX terminator
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Long Live the Graphite Ghost

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,418
Thanks: 55
Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
Rep Power: 542636
robpp has disabled reputation
Re: cam install

sometimes valve springs also need changing with the cam. check with the maker.

regarding the swap, i would think its 6-8 hours for a very competent shop. a 'hemi' shop may be a bit quicker. with labor 100 an hour, i would think more like 6-8 hundo......

i think with the right tool for the springs, the heads are NOT removed. and that saves a ton of labor.

here is a 6.1 how to: thanks to the LX guys!
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showth...highlight=swap
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-30-2010, 11:28 AM
FlyinRyan's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,802
Thanks: 33
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 88632
FlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FlyinRyan
Re: cam install

I have no experience with the Hemi, but from everything I have heard from the installers, they usually pull the heads off as it is less time-consuming in the long run. It can be done either way.

As far as a cam profile I would talk to the guys over at Sharadon Performance, or get a KRC cam.
__________________
Due to my workload, please do not PM me as I do not regularly check my PMs. Thank you :)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Scottina06's Avatar
JeepGarage Founder
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 49,256
Thanks: 868
Thanked 979 Times in 693 Posts
Rep Power: 7717893
Scottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: cam install

power ported performance....get some heads while your at it
__________________
SCOTT
The HARDER you work...the LUCKIER you are!
2014 REDLINE red Jeep SRT "BLOODIED\BlackOps CFR Edition" 1 of 1
2013 JKU Wrangler 10A-stormtrooper'ed, JW Speaker and more!
Previous JEEP rides-
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-deep cherry
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-inferno red



Twitter-The_Jeep_Guy
Instagram-thejeep_guy

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:00 PM
John_R's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1941
John_R is on a distinguished road
Re: cam install

I imagine the cam comes with new lifters? I would replace those and depending on how many miles, may want to consider rocker arms as well (the valvetrain assembly parts wear onto each other in a pattern and they all differ eversomuch; it may or may not be an issue, but why take a chance. Being everything has roller/follwers these days it's probably not as much an issue as a flat tappet cam and old-fashioned rockers, but still...)

Most all OHV engines are about the same thing, as far as basic install, but you have different water pumps and other accessories that need to be rmoved to get to it. You'll probably need to remove the radiator(s)/coolers, so that you can pull the shaft stright out (IMPORTANT not to score the bearing surfaces as you reinstall)...You can probably get away without removing the intake manifold, but use a magnet or something to "drop" the lifters/pushrods down into the valleys. USE liberal amounts of cam lube and break it in by starting engine, hold revs ~2500 for about 10 minutes; change oil.

I would go ahead and replace the timing chain while you have it apart and get all pertaining gaskets (timing cover, etc.) and check to see how others degree their cam upon install (some are stright up (0 deg), others advanced/retarded, etc.

There's a lot more to it, but it's pretty basic as far as mechanical procedures go...just take your time, have all the tools and misc. items handy and have fun. As far as picking one out, remember to match your torque converter and other things (mainly heads) to it as a package, otherwise you'll have a dog with a big bark, but not much else
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Long Live the Graphite Ghost

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,418
Thanks: 55
Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
Rep Power: 542636
robpp has disabled reputation
Re: cam install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy4.7 View Post
I have no experience with the Hemi, but from everything I have heard from the installers, they usually pull the heads off as it is less time-consuming in the long run. It can be done either way.

As far as a cam profile I would talk to the guys over at Sharadon Performance, or get a KRC cam.



sorry sleepy, your assumptions are not correct for the modern hemi. if you bothered to look at the links I posted you may have learned something. why would you add 2-4 hours labor if its not needed, plus the potential for extra issues is HUGE, head gaskets and new head bolts are expensive and all new are needed.



top the OP, NEVER USE KRC FOR ANYTHING! I can post the horror stories here if you need the read them, or try google.......

Sharadon is ALL 4.7 stuff I wouldnt recommend it.

use a vendor that handles the 5.7 and 6.1 motors. look at the LX site for ideas. HHP, PWR, FRI; those would be on my short list.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Long Live the Graphite Ghost

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,418
Thanks: 55
Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
Rep Power: 542636
robpp has disabled reputation
Re: cam install

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_R View Post
I imagine the cam comes with new lifters? I would replace those and depending on how many miles, may want to consider rocker arms as well (the valvetrain assembly parts wear onto each other in a pattern and they all differ eversomuch; it may or may not be an issue, but why take a chance. Being everything has roller/follwers these days it's probably not as much an issue as a flat tappet cam and old-fashioned rockers, but still...)

Most all OHV engines are about the same thing, as far as basic install, but you have different water pumps and other accessories that need to be rmoved to get to it. You'll probably need to remove the radiator(s)/coolers, so that you can pull the shaft stright out (IMPORTANT not to score the bearing surfaces as you reinstall)...You can probably get away without removing the intake manifold, but use a magnet or something to "drop" the lifters/pushrods down into the valleys. USE liberal amounts of cam lube and break it in by starting engine, hold revs ~2500 for about 10 minutes; change oil.

I would go ahead and replace the timing chain while you have it apart and get all pertaining gaskets (timing cover, etc.) and check to see how others degree their cam upon install (some are stright up (0 deg), others advanced/retarded, etc.

There's a lot more to it, but it's pretty basic as far as mechanical procedures go...just take your time, have all the tools and misc. items handy and have fun. As far as picking one out, remember to match your torque converter and other things (mainly heads) to it as a package, otherwise you'll have a dog with a big bark, but not much else

with all your suggestions and the cost, he might as well buy a 6.1 and shove it in there. or a forged 392 or even forged 5.7.

its not like he's opening a motor and adding 300 HP, a cam will net him about 40 HP at the rear wheel. NO NEED to update everything else. thats just a waste of money. needless to say, based on mileage, i may have done stuff like a water pump or hoses. but only if I am in the high mileage range.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 PM
John_R's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1941
John_R is on a distinguished road
Re: cam install

Sure you can "get by" without changing other things, but an engine is an air pump that needs to all work together in an efficient manner [basic: cam - heads - torque converter (or manual) - gearing; everything else supports those main items] and selection comes down to operating range and what kind of tractability you want.

He mentioned "I was looking at the crazy spartan cam from interiamotorsports ", so I was assuming it was a rather aggressive cam. I don't know the specs and if we're only talking about increasing the duration by a couple/few degrees @ .050" and maybe lift by .060" or something, then yeah, the stock components + bolt-ons/tuning would net decent gains. Beyond that, it opens up a lot of other things that need to be updated to run a good, have reliability and justify the cost.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago Area, IL
Posts: 906
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2756
yousmellfunnytoo has a reputation beyond reputeyousmellfunnytoo has a reputation beyond reputeyousmellfunnytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cam install

I was quoted 450 for headers and a Cam install from a shop in the chicago land area.
They do a lot of 5.7 pushrod vette stuff and they pump out a lot of decent GM stuff and ive seen a few LX's from them

I've been looking into this too, but the list just keeps getting longer and the $$$ keep adding up.

Get a cam, need new rockers and lifter, may as well get complete heads, then a tune
__________________
09 STI - Mine :D
08 Liberty - Her's
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 PM
FlyinRyan's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,802
Thanks: 33
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 88632
FlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FlyinRyan
Re: cam install

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
sorry sleepy, your assumptions are not correct for the modern hemi. if you bothered to look at the links I posted you may have learned something. why would you add 2-4 hours labor if its not needed, plus the potential for extra issues is HUGE, head gaskets and new head bolts are expensive and all new are needed.



top the OP, NEVER USE KRC FOR ANYTHING! I can post the horror stories here if you need the read them, or try google.......

Sharadon is ALL 4.7 stuff I wouldnt recommend it.

use a vendor that handles the 5.7 and 6.1 motors. look at the LX site for ideas. HHP, PWR, FRI; those would be on my short list.
Assumptions? Excuse me ? I just said I have never done a cam install on a modern Hemi...But I've talked to plenty who have. Does that make me an expert? Not at all, but I'm not pulling stuff out of my a**.

Why would you add 2-4 hours labor to pull the heads? Simple, because that extra labor could easily end up being spent on swapping springs with the heads intact. Thats a valid reason for swapping springs in any of these motors. Theres not a whole lot of room.

I'm not at all saying that the springs are impossible to change out without pulling the heads- you are correct in that the right tools (some have even gone so far as to fabricate their own), it could be done. It's a matter of preference. The springs take all of 15 mins to change out with the head on a work bench. I know the majority of the installers for Inertia Motorsports choose to pull the heads to swap springs, if that tells you anything.

I wouldn't leave my truck with KRC, but I've used their cam profiles on friends' trucks, and they work. Their cams are built by Comp. I'm not going to deny that there have been horror stories, but my experience has been good, and their cams are solid performers. Thats not opinion, that is fact. The first LX to break into the 12's ran a KRC 210X camshaft. The first Ram to break into the 12's also ran one too. Coincidence? I dont think so.

Sharadon is NOT all 4.7 stuff, I dont know what you're talking about. They do alot of old-school Mopar work and also specialize in the modern Hemis. Their shop Ram is the fastest in the country. They have a "5.7/6.1" section right on their website.....

edit: The link above about an LX cam install is good, but it should be noted that most cams on a 6.1 do not require spring replacement. The 6.1 springs are vastly better than OEM 5.7 springs and are considered a cheap upgrade for the 5.7s.
__________________
Due to my workload, please do not PM me as I do not regularly check my PMs. Thank you :)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 AM
jhawk's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2006 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Crook County
Posts: 202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2129
jhawk is on a distinguished road
Re: cam install

Speed Inc. ? $450 for labor? Cam and headers, can't wait to see.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yousmellfunnytoo View Post
I was quoted 450 for headers and a Cam install from a shop in the chicago land area.
They do a lot of 5.7 pushrod vette stuff and they pump out a lot of decent GM stuff and ive seen a few LX's from them

I've been looking into this too, but the list just keeps getting longer and the $$$ keep adding up.

Get a cam, need new rockers and lifter, may as well get complete heads, then a tune
__________________
2012 Dodge Durango Crew 3.6L AWD
Silver
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago Area, IL
Posts: 906
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2756
yousmellfunnytoo has a reputation beyond reputeyousmellfunnytoo has a reputation beyond reputeyousmellfunnytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cam install

Yeah speed inc, but as i mentioned, I need to save my lunch money for the headers unless homies at ARH wanna cut me a deal.

I also dont know what cam I want, I know i can just get an MDS friendly one and not worry about springs and lifters but yeah we will see, i just wanted a quote
__________________

__________________
09 STI - Mine :D
08 Liberty - Her's
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test out new cam in the day time Knightrider03m Members Rides 10 02-23-2010 11:58 AM
Backup CAM Phatchris Grand Cherokee - WK 13 02-02-2010 12:11 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community