Originally Posted by young-gun
hey everyone i am looking into a custom exhaust to run on the wj. i am looking at a magnaflow custom system that would come off doug theory headers cross through an x-pipe before exiting dual tips. im looking to have it 3" all the way back and come out a 3.5" tip. any suggestions or problems you guys see or any advice?
Uhhhh....4.7 WJ, right?
1) Headers will not fit...Others have tried
2) Unless you're OK with downpipes/tailpipes hanging REALLY low, good luck trying to route a proper X-system under a WJ, especially a 4x4
3) 3" piping on the drivers side is difficult if not impossible.
If you're really hell-bent on duals, and you want to do it right, here are your options. Either:
1) Hack off the Y-merge (where the downpipes Y into a single pipe) , weld in a H-pipe (because of the unequal length, H will be better) into mufflers of your choice (I prefer Magnaflow round case mufflers, Bullet round mufflers, or Aeroturbine ), and either dump it out the side, before the rear axle, or Y it into a single 3" tailpipe ( only because it's readily available in mandel-bent material)
2) hack up the downpipe, run a H right under the trans, weld on mufflers of your preferance, and dump after the trans
3) Give up and run a 3" single system. I went this route, and while I would have made a few small changes if I had to do it again, I was very very happy with what I did. I'm also selling a mostly complete 3" system too.
Oh, and for duals, keep it at 2.5".