Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #49  
Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 AM
GCOverland's Avatar
Jeep Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 1,073
Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2701
GCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

To be honest, I really like the new Explorer. If I had to decide between the two, I would certainly pick the WK2 - but based on preferences, the Explorer isn't bad either.

In fact, I see myself in the Jeep but would highly recommend the Explorer to anybody looking for a 7-seater. Right now, there is no other SUV in that segment below $50K that can offer as much as the Explorer. If they put in the V6 EcoBoost, it'll be even better.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-05-2010, 01:01 AM
GCOverland's Avatar
Jeep Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 1,073
Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2701
GCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
I think it is a fair comparison, simply because there will be buyers who consider both of them before purchasing one or the other. Remember, they are similar in size & price, and they both offer similar cargo room and 4wd.
I think the "cargo-battle" would go in favor of the Explorer.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 138
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1573
walterhudson is on a distinguished road
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
I disagree....the Explorer will definitely be cross-shopped with the Grand Cherokee. They are in the same price segment and they are similarly sized SUVs. And how can you think the Explorer will be cross-shopped with the Durango and not the Grand Cherokee? The new Durango is basically a rebadged Grand Cherokee.
Three rows of seats and no real off road cred..just like I said: Acadia, Pilot, Highlander, Traverse, et al
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1841
bpmcgee is on a distinguished road
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
Where are you getting your repair history information? I'm just curious because I used to work as a Toyota Tech and the Rav4 is probably the more reliable Toyota, bar none.
Consumer Reports.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 AM
MSCA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 713
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2250
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmcgee View Post
Consumer Reports.
Hmm.... so I'm looking at Consumer Report's 2010 Annual Auto issue (April, 2010) and it shows the reliability history of the Rav4 from the 2004 model through the 2009 model. It's almost all full red circles for every model year. I do see two half black circles for the audio system in the '06 & '07 model years, but other than that it certainly looks like the Rav4 is about as rock solid as possible in the other categories.

On the same page it shows the history of the Toyota Highlander (another crossover SUV) and I see nothing but red for every model year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 AM
moosehead's Avatar
Horseshoe for the Donkeys

My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CO Rockies
Posts: 3,168
Thanks: 217
Thanked 97 Times in 83 Posts
Rep Power: 1620698
moosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

my eyes are bleeding
__________________
2011 JGC Oland Hemi / Borla Catback Proto / Hemifever Tune on DS Trinity / Flyin Ryan PTB / Volant CAI / Bwoody Sway Links / BT Catch Can & Underhood Kit / Jon's Tinted Tails / SRT8 Hood, Steering Wheel, Shiftknob, Pedals / Firestone Dest AT's & Winter 18's / Focal 165 Component Fronts, Alpine PDX 5 Amp, Rockford Fosgate P3 10" Sub & Fiberglass Enclosure / PS2 Grill, Mirrors & Liftgate Strip / Tow Hooks & Skids / JW Speaker LED Foglights / Debadged, Tint, Clear Bra / Sharkfin / Vled & Putco LED's / JRoll Uber-Tech Cabin Filter / RA & Yak Roof Rack / Lit Sills, Slush & Cargo Mats
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-05-2010, 10:14 AM
MSCA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 713
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2250
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterhudson View Post
Three rows of seats and no real off road cred..just like I said: Acadia, Pilot, Highlander, Traverse, et al
I'll agree with you that most people who are shopping for an SUV with offroad credibility will not buy a new Explorer. But the problem is that the vast majority of potential buyers in this segment don't care about offroad cred. Just like my Aunt (who recently purchased a 2011 Laredo with QTI), they just want to be able to make it up their driveway or to be able to drive in snow without getting stuck. And people with that mindset will be looking at both the GC and the Explorer.

As far as the 3rd row seating....again, a similar issue. People who definitely need/want the 3rd row seating will obviously not be shopping for a new GC. But for those who don't care either way about the 3rd row, they will most likely look at both vehicles. I've always felt that 3rd rows are silly in a mid-size SUV because they are really only useful for small children.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1841
bpmcgee is on a distinguished road
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
Hmm.... so I'm looking at Consumer Report's 2010 Annual Auto issue (April, 2010) and it shows the reliability history of the Rav4 from the 2004 model through the 2009 model.
That doesn't match what they show online (see atttached)

You disagree with me. Fine. At this point we're throwing facts at each other, not discussing. I'm done.



[IMG]file:///C:/Users/bpmcgee/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rav.jpg (98.2 KB, 62 views)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 AM
MSCA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 713
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2250
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

I have a regular subscription, so I'm looking at the tables in the actual magazine. The reliability history tables breaks down each vehicle into specific categories. But even if we use the table you supplied, are you telling me that you're basing your argument on one model year (2006) and ignoring the rest of the data? Seriously? The fact of the matter is the Rav4 doesn't have the type of issues you claimed. I'm glad you're done because you're not stating facts, just biased opinions.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 AM
xmonger's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2003 4.7 HO WJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Holmdel, NJ
Posts: 193
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1888
xmonger will become famous soon enough
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
I have a regular subscription, so I'm looking at the tables in the actual magazine. The reliability history tables breaks down each vehicle into specific categories. But even if we use the table you supplied, are you telling me that you're basing your argument on one model year (2006) and ignoring the rest of the data? Seriously? The fact of the matter is the Rav4 doesn't have the type of issues you claimed. I'm glad you're done because you're not stating facts, just biased opinions.
Here's another opinion. The RAV4 is a reliable piece of crap.

How did we get to the RAV4 again? Never mind.
__________________
2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-10-2010, 09:08 AM
MSCA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 713
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2250
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
Here's another opinion. The RAV4 is a reliable piece of crap.

How did we get to the RAV4 again? Never mind.

I agree completely. I'd never buy a RAV4. It's really nothing more than a little car with AWD. But it is very reliable, which is probably one of the main reasons people buy them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1357
jagsfan is on a distinguished road
Re: 2011 Grand Cherokee vs. 2011 Ford Explorer

I test drove an Explorer XLT, Edge and the GC Overland Tuesday. I don't need 4wd or the V8. I have owned 3 explorers and a 4runner in the past and really wanted the ford MyTouch, better mileage, etc.. I don't like the looks of the new 4runner. The new design of the Explorer was okay but it felt like a boat on the road. I didn't like it all. The Edge drove much better and was very similar in interior specs to the GC. They were also running some very aggressive deals. I ended up buying the Overland, red w/saddle interior. Beautiful car. love the way it handles, quiet, nice ride. Lots of nice features. The 430 menu system and integration with the iphone is pretty weak but that's the only complaint.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 Grand Cherokee - Now it's getting personal Milous Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 109 02-01-2011 01:30 AM
anyone want a tuner for their 2011 Grand Cherokee? Scottina06 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 12 11-08-2010 04:50 PM
GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System GAROSS Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 16 11-04-2010 06:18 AM
2011 Grand Cherokee Scottina06 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 16 11-17-2009 01:54 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community