Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #85  
Old 05-25-2011, 03:08 AM
Milous's Avatar
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nottsure, Wair
Posts: 6,443
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2,148 Times in 924 Posts
Rep Power: 2392428
Milous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb3wreath View Post
...Do you think I'd be safe to assume that it will be able to be reprogrammed to be the 6 speed transmission soon if I were to buy it or should I just wait around to order a 2012?
I don't believe that it's simply going to be a matter of reprogramming. In fact, if I had to bet (and I could be wrong) I would say that it won't even be possible. I haven't seen the specs yet, but it is a different 6-sp trans than is going into the 2012 Ram (which IS getting a reprogrammed 5->6sp transmission). There may (or may not) be internal changes to the transmission. If not, the electronics will more than likely be deeply integrated into the vehicle computer and bus systems.

Looking at things from a sales point of view, the 6-sp is going to be a "positive" for the 2012 models - not a major selling point, but being that there are not that many other changes it's the main one they they will have. IF it were to be possible to reprogram 2011 transmissions to 6-spd's, then that selling point would be lost.

Wait for a 2012 with a guaranteed 6-spd? - you're a couple weeks away from the order banks opening up. If it were me I would definitely go that route, for more reasons than I can count.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 175
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1463
capitalst is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

I just hope Brilliant Black makes it to the 2012 by at least Q4 when I plan to by one. Do look forward to the 6 speed for the 5.7l.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L SRT8
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 1,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2944
mjw930 has a reputation beyond reputemjw930 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

So, I wonder how hard a beating I would take on my 4000 mile Overland 4X4 V8 if I placed an order for a Mineral Gray SRT8 in a couple weeks?????

(Just kidding, I know I'd be losing a ton but I sure wish there was a way to make the deal without losing my shirt....)
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 Black/Black
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
jgc4ever's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,213
Thanks: 0
Thanked 78 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 1160280
jgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
So, I wonder how hard a beating I would take on my 4000 mile Overland 4X4 V8 if I placed an order for a Mineral Gray SRT8 in a couple weeks?????

(Just kidding, I know I'd be losing a ton but I sure wish there was a way to make the deal without losing my shirt....)
Do you tow more than 5000 lbs though? Do you not need the off-road capability of the Overland? Do you need the speed of the SRT8. These are questions I'm asking myself, except for the towing question because if I get a boat someday it will be a waterski tournament boat and the trailer and boat for those that I would want are under 5000 lbs total. Basically I just like the styling of the SRT8 just a little more and the acceleration I would like as well. I'm not sure how good the WK2 5.7 L V8 Hemi accelerates though. I doubt I'll be happy unless I go all out with the SRT8 though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L SRT8
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 1,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2944
mjw930 has a reputation beyond reputemjw930 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc4ever View Post
Do you tow more than 5000 lbs though? Do you not need the off-road capability of the Overland? Do you need the speed of the SRT8. These are questions I'm asking myself, except for the towing question because if I get a boat someday it will be a waterski tournament boat and the trailer and boat for those that I would want are under 5000 lbs total. Basically I just like the styling of the SRT8 just a little more and the acceleration I would like as well. I'm not sure how good the WK2 5.7 L V8 Hemi accelerates though. I doubt I'll be happy unless I go all out with the SRT8 though.
I tow right on 5000 lbs and since i use a weight distributing hitch I'm not too concerned about being a little over, as long as I keep the total GCVW under 11,500 lbs. I have no need for off road capability.

I am a HP junky and live by the mantra that there's no such thing as too much power. I have literally NEVER uttered the phrase, "it's fast enough" or "It's got enough power for me".

The 5.7L WK2 has decent acceleration, certainly not as much as I would expect from the rated HP but it's "adequate". It's torque does show it's value when towing and the entire package is an excellent performer for what it is but it's not a sports SUV, the SRT8 is.
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 Black/Black
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 1791
Snipe315 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc4ever View Post
Do you need the speed of the SRT8.
Now that is just silly... EVERYONE needs SPEED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
I am a HP junky and live by the mantra that there's no such thing as too much power. I have literally NEVER uttered the phrase, "it's fast enough" or "It's got enough power for me".
Now those are words of wisdom!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
Posts: 308
Thanks: 9
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1627
MikeD is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milous View Post
I don't believe that it's simply going to be a matter of reprogramming. In fact, if I had to bet (and I could be wrong) I would say that it won't even be possible. I haven't seen the specs yet, but it is a different 6-sp trans than is going into the 2012 Ram (which IS getting a reprogrammed 5->6sp transmission). There may (or may not) be internal changes to the transmission. If not, the electronics will more than likely be deeply integrated into the vehicle computer and bus systems.

Looking at things from a sales point of view, the 6-sp is going to be a "positive" for the 2012 models - not a major selling point, but being that there are not that many other changes it's the main one they they will have. IF it were to be possible to reprogram 2011 transmissions to 6-spd's, then that selling point would be lost.

Wait for a 2012 with a guaranteed 6-spd? - you're a couple weeks away from the order banks opening up. If it were me I would definitely go that route, for more reasons than I can count.

With the 2012 getting a 6-spd, does that mean an 8-spd won't be available for the WK2 Hemi?
__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8-Traded in
2008 BMW M3 Sedan
1992 Corvette LT1
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 05-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Milous's Avatar
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nottsure, Wair
Posts: 6,443
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2,148 Times in 924 Posts
Rep Power: 2392428
Milous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
With the 2012 getting a 6-spd, does that mean an 8-spd won't be available for the WK2 Hemi?
WK2 V6 is scheduled to get the 8-spd for the 2013 model year. At this time I don't have any info on the 8-sp for the Hemi.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 05-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1645
Patrick8917 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

So if you're looking to get an Overland V6 there will be no changes?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 05-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UT
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1627
rb3wreath is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

Realistically, with the 5.7L getting the 6-speed tranny, what kind of mileage improvements will it be? 1-2 MPG? 3-4 MPG? More than that?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 05-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 179
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1426
Yeti is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

I wish they would do a steel blue metallic like my 2000 WJ! I think this truck would look great in that color. If I could get excited about any of the other colors I already would have bought one.

I'm also not too excited about the fancy suspension, the current Quadradrive, or the power liftgate. My WJ seems like a better setup in these areas. I'll probably option out a limited to avoid some of this.

I also hope someone makes a carbon fiber replacement for that big chrome bar across the back that makes it look like a Toyota, Acura, Hyundai, Kia, GMC, etc.

Come on Jeep, steel blue please, my WJ is about worn out!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 05-30-2011, 04:33 AM
Milous's Avatar
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nottsure, Wair
Posts: 6,443
Thanks: 33
Thanked 2,148 Times in 924 Posts
Rep Power: 2392428
Milous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

Updated with some expanded information on the 2012 features and option packages:

http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_2012_features.htm
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8: New and improved Milous Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 474 02-10-2013 11:23 AM
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8-debut Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 42 02-16-2011 08:38 PM
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is a GO! Milous Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 141 02-10-2011 02:08 PM
2011 Grand Cherokee features Scottina06 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 3 07-27-2010 11:48 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community