Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 506
Medpilot is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 GC gas mileage 3.6L

I'm in Phoenix and I do most of my driving in the middle of the when it's 70 degrees.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one not getting the factory claimed gas mileage. I have to say, for such a heavy vehicle and as much grunt as the V6 has, it's not that bad.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-17-2014, 05:33 AM
WK2OverlandII's Avatar
Quadra-Drive
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clinton, Co. PA
Posts: 344
Thanks: 60
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1737
WK2OverlandII is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 GC gas mileage 3.6L

I dont want to get off topic as I dont have that "Big 3.6L V6", I only have the little 3.0L diesel that has more torque than a 5.7L Hemi and pulls like a big rig. My last tank and a half...as I put 10.1 gallon in the first (didn't top off only $40 worth) and topped it off the second fueling with 17.2 gallons filling it. Between the two I drove 738 miles which is was 27.03MPG hand calculated, winter fuel, little cross winds, mixed city and highway driving. Personally I really believe on the highway the air suspension really helps as it lowers the vehicle for better areodynamics.....I'm very happy with this vehicle!
__________________

__________________
2014 JGC Limited - Granite/Black - 3.0L ECODiesel - LUX II - NAV - Off Road II- Block Heater.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 506
Medpilot is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 GC gas mileage 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2OverlandII View Post
I dont want to get off topic as I dont have that "Big 3.6L V6", I only have the little 3.0L diesel that has more torque than a 5.7L Hemi and pulls like a big rig. My last tank and a half...as I put 10.1 gallon in the first (didn't top off only $40 worth) and topped it off the second fueling with 17.2 gallons filling it. Between the two I drove 738 miles which is was 27.03MPG hand calculated, winter fuel, little cross winds, mixed city and highway driving. Personally I really believe on the highway the air suspension really helps as it lowers the vehicle for better areodynamics.....I'm very happy with this vehicle!
Yes, we all know the diesel gets better fuel milage, but there are other factors involved than just fuel mileage alone. Comparing the diesel to the gas V6 is an apples to oranges comparison.

I actually had a deposit down on a diesel that I canceled. I was very excited to get the diesel until I did some figuring. The whole reason to get the diesel was to save money because of the better fuel mileage. Well the diesel wasn't going to do that for me.

The premium price for diesel over regular out here in Phoenix was about $.60 when I made my calculations.
Gas was $3.05 = 6.2miles/$1 @ 19mpg
Diesel $3.60 = 7.5miles/$1 @ 27mpg
At 10,000mi / year = you save $279 with the Diesel
Gas costs $1612/yr
Diesel costs $1333/yr

$279/ year was not going to pay for the extra $$$ upfront costs anytime soon. At the time I put the my order in, it was about an extra $8,000 (OTD) because I would have paid dealer invoice for the diesel vs. 6.4% below invoice for the gas engine.
$8,000 / $279/yr = 28.6 years to break even.

Now there's the DPF (diesel particulate filter) I'd have to deal with. I make a lot of short trips, so there's no telling how clogged that would get. I didn't want the EVIC telling me I had to drive on the freeway to clear out the filter. That's not where I do a lot of my driving. And how long is the DPF in the Jeep going to last before having to replaced it? That's unknown at this point. The poor guys that own BMW 335D's are riddled with carbon build up problems because of the stringent diesel emissions we have in America. The European counterparts don't seem to have these problems. The VM Motori has proven itself to be a reliable engine in Europe and Austria but we haven't seen what happens when connected to all the emissions we place on diesel engines here in the States regarding carbon buildup.

I don't tow but a light motorcycle trailer, so I didn't need the extra torque and the fact that the diesel was slower than the V6 was just another point that helped me change my mind.

It's still unknown where or not the diesel will have a higher resale. Again, look at the BMW 335i vs the 335D for comparison. The diesel actually lists at a lower price vs its gas counterpart.

Now if I towed heavy loads and did a lot of freeway driving, the diesel would have made more sense.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Paullee01's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 538
Paullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 GC gas mileage 3.6L

After reading your break down on the diesels costs verse gas I guess the diesels strengths are really in the towing capacity. I don't know a lot about engines but maybe a diesel will last longer then a gas engine. I know in boats they do.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L, Tinted windows, Sill guards, Body molding, CXV running boards, Mud flaps, WeatherTech window deflectors, Zeigler lifetime maxcare

Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 PM
WK2OverlandII's Avatar
Quadra-Drive
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clinton, Co. PA
Posts: 344
Thanks: 60
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1737
WK2OverlandII is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 GC gas mileage 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medpilot View Post
Yes, we all know the diesel gets better fuel milage, but there are other factors involved than just fuel mileage alone. Comparing the diesel to the gas V6 is an apples to oranges comparison.

I actually had a deposit down on a diesel that I canceled. I was very excited to get the diesel until I did some figuring. The whole reason to get the diesel was to save money because of the better fuel mileage. Well the diesel wasn't going to do that for me.

The premium price for diesel over regular out here in Phoenix was about $.60 when I made my calculations.
Gas was $3.05 = 6.2miles/$1 @ 19mpg
Diesel $3.60 = 7.5miles/$1 @ 27mpg
At 10,000mi / year = you save $279 with the Diesel
Gas costs $1612/yr
Diesel costs $1333/yr

$279/ year was not going to pay for the extra $$$ upfront costs anytime soon. At the time I put the my order in, it was about an extra $8,000 (OTD) because I would have paid dealer invoice for the diesel vs. 6.4% below invoice for the gas engine.
$8,000 / $279/yr = 28.6 years to break even.

Now there's the DPF (diesel particulate filter) I'd have to deal with. I make a lot of short trips, so there's no telling how clogged that would get. I didn't want the EVIC telling me I had to drive on the freeway to clear out the filter. That's not where I do a lot of my driving. And how long is the DPF in the Jeep going to last before having to replaced it? That's unknown at this point. The poor guys that own BMW 335D's are riddled with carbon build up problems because of the stringent diesel emissions we have in America. The European counterparts don't seem to have these problems. The VM Motori has proven itself to be a reliable engine in Europe and Austria but we haven't seen what happens when connected to all the emissions we place on diesel engines here in the States regarding carbon buildup.

I don't tow but a light motorcycle trailer, so I didn't need the extra torque and the fact that the diesel was slower than the V6 was just another point that helped me change my mind.

It's still unknown where or not the diesel will have a higher resale. Again, look at the BMW 335i vs the 335D for comparison. The diesel actually lists at a lower price vs its gas counterpart.

Now if I towed heavy loads and did a lot of freeway driving, the diesel would have made more sense.
Ok I fully understand where you're coming from....I understand each persons needs are different....I needed a vehicle that could tow what a gas V8 can but I didn't want the poor mileage that the gas V8's get while towing and daily driving. I also wanted and needed a vehicle with the same off road capabilities that came with the Hemi that you can't get with the gas V6. That is the ORA-II package giving me the quadra-drive, quadra-lift, skid plates etc.... The way I see it, is that I have the same capability as the gas V8 with much better gas mileage whether I am towing or not....I get better mileage either way.....and I'm going to put a lot of miles on this vehicle. In my case resale doesn't matter....as I'm keeping it until the wheels fall off. I paid below 1% invoice plus, I had two $500 rebates (one loyalty and the other active duty military) putting me in a fully loaded Limited Diesel (like my signature says below) for a little over 44K out the door! And I haven't been this satisfied with any vehicle in many years....as I am...with this one....to each their own!

Also I'm not sure where you learned that the diesel is slower than the gas V6 but from what I found its the same 0-60 time as the gas V6 of 7.7 seconds (and I guarantee 0-30 it's quicker with and instant 420FTlbs of torque). Drive one and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you want to go faster than the Hemi in a 3.0L Diesel spend about $455 for a bluespark add 69HP and 105FTlb of torque (that's a total of 525FTlbs) and run 0-60 time of 6.0....pretty easy...I'm good with what I have stock as it's all I need.



Jeep 0-60 Times & Jeep Quarter Mile Times | Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 0-60, Liberty, Compass, Wrangler, Patriot, CJ5 and new Jeep 0 to 60 stats!
__________________
2014 JGC Limited - Granite/Black - 3.0L ECODiesel - LUX II - NAV - Off Road II- Block Heater.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM
kjf18's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 159
Thanks: 13
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 799
kjf18 is on a distinguished road
Just returned to Salt Lake City from a 2,000 mile road trip to central California. Did some mpg comparisons based on speed while driving I-80 twice across the Utah west desert (think long, flat and straight, with 80 mph speed limits). At 65, I easily got 24 mpg. At 70-75, I still got around 22-23. At 80-85, mileage drops dramatically to 19-20. The transmission has a hard time staying in 8th gear at that speed.

Talking to a co-worker who has a Summit with the V-8, it appears at higher speeds the V-8 does at least as well as, and maybe a bit better than, the V-6 at higher speeds. Seems the V-6 may be a bit underpowered at that end.

Loved the JGC on this trip. Very comfortable. Twelve hour drive the first day and no back pain. Really loved the adaptive cruise control.

KJF
__________________
2014 Overland 4x4, Deep Cherry Red exterior / Black interior, V6, Advanced Technology Group, ORA II :D
Other vehicle: 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 (white)
Me: Husband, father, amateur photographer, general counsel at a transportation/materials management/supply chain company
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-18-2014, 03:46 PM
mceb's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 386
Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 943
mceb is on a distinguished road
I've been doing extensive MPG tracking with an iPhone app called road trip. On mostly highway commuting (70%) I was getting 20-22 mpg all summer with AC on most of time. MPG dropped a couple MPGs (19.x) in Sept around time I got rev A of the transmission flash done. Just got latest update of trans flash done last Monday so hoping to gain back lost mpg.
__________________
2014 JGC Overland 4x4, V6, White with Blue/Brown Interior
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Damn Dude's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 66
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1138
Damn Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDamn Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDamn Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDamn Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDamn Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDamn Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDamn Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDamn Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDamn Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDamn Dude has a reputation beyond reputeDamn Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 GC gas mileage 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medpilot View Post
...vs. 6.4% below invoice for the gas engine...

Off topic but, could you share some details on where you got your G.C. from in AZ? Still waiting on My Summit but I wasn't able to get nearly as good of a price as that. PM me if you want to keep it hush hush
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-20-2014, 02:50 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 506
Medpilot is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 GC gas mileage 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Dude View Post
Off topic but, could you share some details on where you got your G.C. from in AZ? Still waiting on My Summit but I wasn't able to get nearly as good of a price as that. PM me if you want to keep it hush hush
Huntington Beach Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram | Vehicles for sale in Huntington Beach, CA 92647-4814

No one in AZ could come close to their prices.

Bought my 4x4 Overland w/ tech group for 43,700.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-05-2014, 03:55 PM
quinby1's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 194
quinby1 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 GC gas mileage 3.6L

I must be lucky.....I have 4K on 14 GC Loredo 4x4 and average 22 around here..(rural Virginia), but I recently got 26.5 on a trip to NY. Also, thats calculate on actual fill ups and mileage...the cumputer milage readings are optimistic by about 1.3 to 2 mpg....they say my overall average is 23.5 and on the highway trip said I got 28, but that just ain't so...still quite pleased with actual mileage...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 96
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 907
Mcdenny is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 GC gas mileage 3.6L

I've got 23000 miles on my V6 4x4. EVIC reads from 0 to 1.2 mpg optimistic,, that said I got (EVIC) 27.4 mpg on a 300 mile trip on flat roads at 60ish mph.

Best part is I get 16-17 mpg towing a 2850# camper, 2 mpg better than my 2007 V6 RAV4 which had same power and 800# lighter.
__________________
Denny
2014 JGC Limited 4x4 V6, tow, sunroof, 8.4 AN
www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
www.wolfeboats.com
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Coastal NJ
Posts: 99
Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1995
46er has a reputation beyond repute46er has a reputation beyond repute46er has a reputation beyond repute46er has a reputation beyond repute46er has a reputation beyond repute46er has a reputation beyond repute46er has a reputation beyond repute46er has a reputation beyond repute46er has a reputation beyond repute46er has a reputation beyond repute46er has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 GC gas mileage 3.6L

Month old '14 Limited with 670 miles; 23.4 with highway/city about 40/60 all eco mode. City for me is not urban, but suburban; speed limits are 35-45. Very happy with it, beats our last vehicle, a V6 '03 Escape, by 4 mpg.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas milage Thlinks Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 4 02-18-2013 05:56 PM
gas milage MattyDipps Grand Cherokee - WK 10 10-03-2011 12:27 PM
Gas Milage improvments with Superchip NikonKiem Grand Cherokee - WK 0 04-11-2011 02:47 PM
Gas milage? Post your results! jonesark Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 58 12-11-2010 11:12 AM
Gas Milage 4.7 dpoteete Grand Cherokee - WK 10 04-16-2010 07:22 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community