2016 PUG 6 cylinder - Page 3 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 10-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 162
Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 2561
CIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBones View Post

True. And for the vast majority of owners, that's not a viable option.
That is most likely true but why not give the option? Let the owner decide what is best for their vehicle and pocketbook.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #26  
Old 10-11-2015, 08:55 AM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,592
Thanks: 630
Thanked 613 Times in 503 Posts
Rep Power: 10611
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2016 PUG 6 cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIEGOS View Post
That is most likely true but why not give the option? Let the owner decide what is best for their vehicle and pocketbook.
The E85 option has been available for several years across several makes and models. What's stopping them from burning it?

Could it be they've already figured out what's best for their vehicle and pocketbook?

Edit to add...

When E85 engines became available on the GC the only info you could find on performance and fuel economy was buried in the fine print footnotes in the vehicle brochure. In effect it stated that you could expect lower performance and poorer fuel economy on E85.

In the last few years I've seen this info posted a couple of different ways on new vehicles... estimated driving range on straight gas vs E85 posted as an additional sticker on the windshield or now as part of the main window sticker.

Currently, fueleconomy.gov lists the following info for a 2015 GC 4WD with 3.6L engine...

Gas - 17/19/24
E85 - 13/15/17

That's quite a drop, especially on highway.

I just tried checking gasbuddy.com for the current price delta between gas and E85. They don't even list E85 prices here and I'm in the corn belt... LOL. Honestly, not a lot of stations offer it and the last time I remember seeing it available at a pump around here it was maybe .25/gal cheaper than gas.

It's pretty easy to do the math to find out what makes more sense for your pocketbook.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4289.png
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 162
Thanks: 5
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 2561
CIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond reputeCIEGOS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBones View Post

The E85 option has been available for several years across several makes and models. What's stopping them from burning it?

Could it be they've already figured out what's best for their vehicle and pocketbook?

Edit to add...

When E85 engines became available on the GC the only info you could find on performance and fuel economy was buried in the fine print footnotes in the vehicle brochure. In effect it stated that you could expect lower performance and poorer fuel economy on E85.

In the last few years I've seen this info posted a couple of different ways on new vehicles... estimated driving range on straight gas vs E85 posted as an additional sticker on the windshield or now as part of the main window sticker.

Currently, fueleconomy.gov lists the following info for a 2015 GC 4WD with 3.6L engine...

Gas - 17/19/24
E85 - 13/15/17

That's quite a drop, especially on highway.

I just tried checking gasbuddy.com for the current price delta between gas and E85. They don't even list E85 prices here and I'm in the corn belt... LOL. Honestly, not a lot of stations offer it and the last time I remember seeing it available at a pump around here it was maybe .25/gal cheaper than gas.

It's pretty easy to do the math to find out what makes more sense for your pocketbook.
Explain why the pentstar doesn't make more power with E85? It's supposed to a high tech high compression vvt motor. Ford was able to increase power with the old 5.4L v8. Why can't Chrysler do it with their motors?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast
Posts: 312
Thanks: 78
Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 16922
Turbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2016 PUG 6 cylinder

Back on topic, pug has new heads, cooled EGR, compression raised to 11.3:1, new intake with longer runners, two speed variable lift, 6% better fuel economy and 15% more tq below 3000 RPM, new injectors are used with 8 holes for atomization, new coating HG-R1 used on the timing guide drive faces. This from Allpar sources. I guess there is more planned and these upgrades will be phased in on all models over next couple years.
__________________
2002 WJ Laredo 4.7 NV242 Inferno Red
2015 WK2 Overland 5.7 Hemi QD2 Deep Cherry Red
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 547
Thanks: 158
Thanked 140 Times in 98 Posts
Rep Power: 2269
BubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2016 PUG 6 cylinder

Well I'm signing up to be a guinea pug, uh, pig ...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-11-2015, 08:02 PM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,592
Thanks: 630
Thanked 613 Times in 503 Posts
Rep Power: 10611
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2016 PUG 6 cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIEGOS View Post
Explain why the pentstar doesn't make more power with E85? It's supposed to a high tech high compression vvt motor. Ford was able to increase power with the old 5.4L v8. Why can't Chrysler do it with their motors?
The 2014 5.4L makes a whopping 15 HP more on E85, yet like every other FFV it gets significantly poorer fuel economy.

You can have that 15 extra HP, I'll take the better fuel economy.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4289.png
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WJ Cylinder 4 misfire mystery. kbrown Troubleshooting/Problems 14 09-14-2013 05:35 PM
Help! P0304 cylinder 4 misfire SvenskaJeepGuy Troubleshooting/Problems 16 09-16-2012 02:05 PM
cylinder 5 misfire SnowFlake Grand Cherokee - WK 7 03-02-2011 02:08 PM
Gas mileage on the '07 6 cylinder DLStryker Grand Cherokee - WK 7 06-26-2010 06:37 PM
Aluminum 4.0L Cylinder Heads caa0428 Performance Modifications 7 05-22-2010 01:20 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.