2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 73
Thanks: 38
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 178
made_in_murica is on a distinguished road
2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

So I pulled the trigger and bought the 2017 5.7L Hemi Trailhawk with both add on packages, cross path detection and Nav.

I love my new Jeep but I wanted to share my experience with others that are thinking about the Trailhawk with some details and make a few comparisons to my wife's 2015 Summit.

I am VERY detailed when researching things but I over looked a few SMALL details, nothing really major but just wanted to help inform others that may be shopping for a new JGC.

I created a PDF chart of features to compare to other models of the finer details that separate them. I took each model and added additional packages and pricing for Koons dealership.

First a few things I love about the Trailhawk:

1. The little jeep symbol in red on the rims.

2. The Trailhawk red stitching and badging.

3. The red tow hooks, but I wish they upgraded the brakes to the red Brembo brakes. I'm going to order the red MPG caliper covers this week.

4. All weather mats instead of regular carpet mats.

5. Love the tighter grip the seats have on you than the other models. They have the SRT suede seats that wrap tighter to your body.


Now for a few things that are different than other models or details I didn't realize where different:

1. The dash on the Summit has nice stitch lines across it where the Trailhawk does not.

2. The rear seats have a release button on the top of them on the Summit and on the Trailhawk, they do not, they only have the release lever on the sides of the seats. This one actually sucks a bit, as that button is nice to quickly drop the seats.

3. The Trailhawk has the adjustable suspension, and with so, sometimes when you come to a full stop, you will notice a bounce like effect on the front end as the suspension adjusts itself. Sometimes it's very noticeable where other times it is not.

4. The Trailhawk does not have the little down facing flood light from the mirror that the summit has when the door opens to illuminate the ground. This one is not that big of a deal, as there are many aftermarket solutions for this, even wireless ones.

5. The Trailhawk doesn't have a cargo mat or cargo net at all, it does come with the all weather floor mats but no cargo mat, I ordered the Jeep cargo mat online.

6. The Trailhawk doesn't have the nice wooden section of the steering wheel like the Overland and Summit have. I am looking into options on swapping a steering wheel or getting mine customized if possible. Any suggestions are welcome. I really enjoy the wooden section, as I am a single hand driver for the most part, and I use my hand on top of the wheel to begin a turn and will pivot my hand on the wooden section while performing a turn. So for me, that section of the wheel gets a lot of work and I would hate to wear that part of the leather wrap out on the current one I have.


Things that I need to find a solution for:


1. The alpine stereo that comes with the Trailhawk really does suck as bad as most of the audio posts here say it does. It is very muddy / muffled sounding compared to the HK system available in the Overland, Summit & SRT models. I will be upgrading mine in the coming weeks, as I hate how muffled it sounds.

2. As with any black interior it is impossible to keep pristine looking, if anyone has any suggestions of a good interior cleaner for the plastic areas to keep down the smudges every time a shoe touches them I would greatly appreciate it.


A few things that just annoy me:

1. How long it takes for the apps to initial load and then additionally how long the Pandora app to open up

2. How long it takes after starting the vehicle to load up the voice control and how damn slow it is to respond


All in all, I would highly suggest the Trailhawk to anyone thinking about it. It is an awesome trim level, it basically has all of the features of the Overland or Summit besides some VERY minor things listed above at a slightly lower cost. My wife has the 2015 Summit and it looks nice, but I definitely prefer my Trailhawk.

2017_wk2_Equipment_Comparison.pdf


2016-09-24 13.22.14.jpg

2016-09-24 13.22.35.jpg

2016-09-23 22.33.08.jpg

2016-09-24 13.23.21.jpg

2016-09-24 13.24.21.jpg

2016-09-24 13.24.12.jpg

Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to made_in_murica For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 73
Thanks: 38
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 178
made_in_murica is on a distinguished road
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

Sorry posted this in the Interior subsection by mistake. @ Mods, can you please move this thread to the main WK2 section?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2016, 11:58 AM
AAAA's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,449
Thanks: 185
Thanked 153 Times in 135 Posts
Rep Power: 1545040
AAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond reputeAAAA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

Your wife must be a very special person.
__________________
Overland: Nokian WR G3 SUV tires, front and t. c. skid plates, Bosch Icon blades, Husky X-Act Contour slush mats, MOPAR cargo mat. Successor to trouble-free 2011 Limited.
(Avatar- http://www.ussslater.org/)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2016, 12:53 PM
New Member
My Jeep: 2016 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Sandpoint, Idaho
Posts: 1
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
landwatersky is on a distinguished road
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

Your PDF is very detailed and helpful. Thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2016, 03:24 PM
GBJeep's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,645
Thanks: 117
Thanked 64 Times in 60 Posts
Rep Power: 1417450
GBJeep has a reputation beyond reputeGBJeep has a reputation beyond reputeGBJeep has a reputation beyond reputeGBJeep has a reputation beyond reputeGBJeep has a reputation beyond reputeGBJeep has a reputation beyond reputeGBJeep has a reputation beyond reputeGBJeep has a reputation beyond reputeGBJeep has a reputation beyond reputeGBJeep has a reputation beyond reputeGBJeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

Nice Jeep-Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2016, 12:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 73
Thanks: 38
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 178
made_in_murica is on a distinguished road
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

I also noticed today another difference, the headlights in the Trailhawk are not adaptive like the Summit, they don't adjust to the side when turning the wheel.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to made_in_murica For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 10-03-2016, 11:20 PM
jgc4ever's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,914
Thanks: 157
Thanked 216 Times in 173 Posts
Rep Power: 1161818
jgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by made_in_murica View Post
I also noticed today another difference, the headlights in the Trailhawk are not adaptive like the Summit, they don't adjust to the side when turning the wheel.

They don't on the Summit beginning in 2016 either.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2016, 01:55 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,719
Thanks: 38
Thanked 181 Times in 141 Posts
Rep Power: 76190
mswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

That radio will open up after a few weeks but still no match for the HK.

Your spreadsheet is nice, you definitely thought about it a LOT .
You could have got closer to what you wanted doing the Overland route (which would have to be ordered for sure).
Lot easier to add decals and change wheels than to upgrade to HK Equivalent (and not void warranties).

I would not consider the HK radio as minor and you already confirmed you have to "fix it".
__________________
07-24-2017 Summit 3.6L Velvet Red W/Black & Brown Int
Tires: OEM 20"/Nokian 18"
Situational awareness: Valentine One with V1Driver on IOS
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2016, 12:06 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 194
Thanks: 384
Thanked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Rep Power: 821
cwspy is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by made_in_murica View Post
So I pulled the trigger and bought the 2017 5.7L Hemi Trailhawk with both add on packages, cross path detection and Nav.

I love my new Jeep but I wanted to share my experience with others that are thinking about the Trailhawk with some details and make a few comparisons to my wife's 2015 Summit.

I am VERY detailed when researching things but I over looked a few SMALL details, nothing really major but just wanted to help inform others that may be shopping for a new JGC.

I created a PDF chart of features to compare to other models of the finer details that separate them. I took each model and added additional packages and pricing for Koons dealership.

First a few things I love about the Trailhawk:

1. The little jeep symbol in red on the rims.

2. The Trailhawk red stitching and badging.

3. The red tow hooks, but I wish they upgraded the brakes to the red Brembo brakes. I'm going to order the red MPG caliper covers this week.

4. All weather mats instead of regular carpet mats.

5. Love the tighter grip the seats have on you than the other models. They have the SRT suede seats that wrap tighter to your body.


Now for a few things that are different than other models or details I didn't realize where different:

1. The dash on the Summit has nice stitch lines across it where the Trailhawk does not.

2. The rear seats have a release button on the top of them on the Summit and on the Trailhawk, they do not, they only have the release lever on the sides of the seats. This one actually sucks a bit, as that button is nice to quickly drop the seats.

3. The Trailhawk has the adjustable suspension, and with so, sometimes when you come to a full stop, you will notice a bounce like effect on the front end as the suspension adjusts itself. Sometimes it's very noticeable where other times it is not.

4. The Trailhawk does not have the little down facing flood light from the mirror that the summit has when the door opens to illuminate the ground. This one is not that big of a deal, as there are many aftermarket solutions for this, even wireless ones.

5. The Trailhawk doesn't have a cargo mat or cargo net at all, it does come with the all weather floor mats but no cargo mat, I ordered the Jeep cargo mat online.

6. The Trailhawk doesn't have the nice wooden section of the steering wheel like the Overland and Summit have. I am looking into options on swapping a steering wheel or getting mine customized if possible. Any suggestions are welcome. I really enjoy the wooden section, as I am a single hand driver for the most part, and I use my hand on top of the wheel to begin a turn and will pivot my hand on the wooden section while performing a turn. So for me, that section of the wheel gets a lot of work and I would hate to wear that part of the leather wrap out on the current one I have.


Things that I need to find a solution for:


1. The alpine stereo that comes with the Trailhawk really does suck as bad as most of the audio posts here say it does. It is very muddy / muffled sounding compared to the HK system available in the Overland, Summit & SRT models. I will be upgrading mine in the coming weeks, as I hate how muffled it sounds.

2. As with any black interior it is impossible to keep pristine looking, if anyone has any suggestions of a good interior cleaner for the plastic areas to keep down the smudges every time a shoe touches them I would greatly appreciate it.


A few things that just annoy me:

1. How long it takes for the apps to initial load and then additionally how long the Pandora app to open up

2. How long it takes after starting the vehicle to load up the voice control and how damn slow it is to respond


All in all, I would highly suggest the Trailhawk to anyone thinking about it. It is an awesome trim level, it basically has all of the features of the Overland or Summit besides some VERY minor things listed above at a slightly lower cost. My wife has the 2015 Summit and it looks nice, but I definitely prefer my Trailhawk.

Attachment 72552


Attachment 72546

Attachment 72547

Attachment 72548

Attachment 72549

Attachment 72550

Attachment 72551

Thank you for the detailed review. My husband and I are trying to decide between the Trailhawk and Overland. The main reason for looking the Trailhawk was to get most of what we want without having to have a pano roof and gaining the option of something other than leather seats.

Besides the bump of the adjustable suspension, does the vehicle drive/handle differently?

Thanks for your timely review!! The input is exactly what I am looking for right now. The Jeep lines are so close and it gets frustrating not being able to get exactly what you want ... each line seems to leave something to be desired from the line above or below it! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-2016, 09:04 AM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 4,295
Thanks: 779
Thanked 569 Times in 454 Posts
Rep Power: 96057
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by made_in_murica View Post
Sorry posted this in the Interior subsection by mistake. @ Mods, can you please move this thread to the main WK2 section?
Moved it before I even saw this request!

Jim
Forum Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 73
Thanks: 38
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 178
made_in_murica is on a distinguished road
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
Moved it before I even saw this request!

Jim
Forum Moderator
Thanks Jim, I hope it gets a little more exposure in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 4,295
Thanks: 779
Thanked 569 Times in 454 Posts
Rep Power: 96057
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2017 Trailhawk 1 week owner evaluation

My pleasure. And thanks for your comments on your new Trailhawk. It's not easy sometimes to "know" all the great features and the "gotchas" during the purchase process and the "emotion" of the event can cloud things further sometimes. The good news is that it's a great vehicle no matter what trim level!
__________________
2012 GC Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus "shoes" - LED fogs and DRLs



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food, Photography
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim_in_PA For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
2017

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today mswlogo Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 48 09-07-2016 04:25 PM
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel Trailhawk vs 2016/17 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition Pinoiako916 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 9 07-17-2016 10:39 PM
2017 Trailhawk Pricing C5marine Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 1 05-15-2016 03:47 PM
EcoDiesel available in 2017 WK2 TrailHawk.... AirBull 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 10 03-27-2016 03:21 PM
Lease Evaluation (Limited) ShaunML09 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 18 04-30-2013 06:20 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.