Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 944
gopking119 is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
The minivan is the ultimate family hauler because of the ease of getting the kids in the 3rd row. Yeah, no one likes to be "seen" driving one but for value and practicality they are hard to beat. I had three of the damn things.

Expensive, but probably second in convenience was my Ford Expedition. The center row was in three sections, and the middle folded down and made a flat table, separating the seats nicely and enabling the kids to scramble over into the back row. As an alternate the center slid forward, directly behind the first row console, so a baby in the center could be reached easily from the front. On the downside, the width of the vehicle and the hinged doors made access to the rear difficult while in a narrow parking space.
Thanks...live in Alaska and so there's snow and ice on our roads for 7 months out of the year, plus we live out of town, so I'm looking for a 4WD vehicle. The only company that makes an AWD minivan is Toyota (I refuse to buy a foreign car...especially a Toyota or Subaru), and the Expedition is just way too darn thirsty on gas with that 5.4L. I had a 2009 F150 with that 5.4L it was horrible on MPGs, especially when temps turned cold, like down below -20 or -30.

We love the new GC and before we had kids, we owned three XJs between us. Loved em. We now have an 08 Mountaineer and it is paid off, but its value is depreciating fairly quickly and it is horrible on mileage, like 13 city, 18 hwy.

Just trying to decide if the new WK2 is right for us, or if we should go with the Durango. I like both, but like the GC WAY MORE!!! Plus, I agree with the third row thing - it's useless with car seats in the middle row. How the heck do you access the 3rd row?? I thought maybe about ordering a Durango with the 2nd row captain's chairs, but then with 3 kids, you always have to have at least one of the seats in the 3rd row in the up position and you lose out on all the trunk space.

Decisions Decisions. But damn the JGC is nice!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Yadkin's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yadkin Valley, NC
Posts: 1,249
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 202308
Yadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopking119 View Post
Thanks...live in Alaska and so there's snow and ice on our roads for 7 months out of the year, plus we live out of town, so I'm looking for a 4WD vehicle. The only company that makes an AWD minivan is Toyota (I refuse to buy a foreign car...especially a Toyota or Subaru), and the Expedition is just way too darn thirsty on gas with that 5.4L. I had a 2009 F150 with that 5.4L it was horrible on MPGs, especially when temps turned cold, like down below -20 or -30.

We love the new GC and before we had kids, we owned three XJs between us. Loved em. We now have an 08 Mountaineer and it is paid off, but its value is depreciating fairly quickly and it is horrible on mileage, like 13 city, 18 hwy.

Just trying to decide if the new WK2 is right for us, or if we should go with the Durango. I like both, but like the GC WAY MORE!!! Plus, I agree with the third row thing - it's useless with car seats in the middle row. How the heck do you access the 3rd row?? I thought maybe about ordering a Durango with the 2nd row captain's chairs, but then with 3 kids, you always have to have at least one of the seats in the 3rd row in the up position and you lose out on all the trunk space.

Decisions Decisions. But damn the JGC is nice!
The reason I traded the Expedition was because of its thirst. But beware, because the V8 Jeep GC has the same thirst, according to the EPA.

I'm not that familiar with the Durango, but if you have three kids, why do you need a third row? I'm guessing its for guests- I've been there.

Now that my two kids are in college we don't need the third row. When we are all together if guests are involved they have their own car. Even when we go up to the mountains they want to have a second car.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 944
gopking119 is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
The reason I traded the Expedition was because of its thirst. But beware, because the V8 Jeep GC has the same thirst, according to the EPA.

I'm not that familiar with the Durango, but if you have three kids, why do you need a third row? I'm guessing its for guests- I've been there.
We're gonna get the Limited with the V6. Plenty of power for what we need it for. I'm not gonna tow anything major and I'm not drag racing the thing. Plus, it's actually way peppier than the 4.6L V8 in our mountaineer, so for us it's a vast improvement in performance.

i think we're just concerned about having the third row so that as the kids grow we have the option of separating them during long trips. The closest city to where we are is Anchorage and it's a 400 mile trip through the remote wilderness. it can get kinda boring for the kids. But I guess thats what the ipad is for. We have a Ram Mount suction cup cradle for the ipad that mounts it to the sunroof so they can watch movies and the audio streams over the bluetooth.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Yadkin's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yadkin Valley, NC
Posts: 1,249
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 202308
Yadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopking119 View Post
We're gonna get the Limited with the V6. Plenty of power for what we need it for. I'm not gonna tow anything major and I'm not drag racing the thing. Plus, it's actually way peppier than the 4.6L V8 in our mountaineer, so for us it's a vast improvement in performance.

i think we're just concerned about having the third row so that as the kids grow we have the option of separating them during long trips. The closest city to where we are is Anchorage and it's a 400 mile trip through the remote wilderness. it can get kinda boring for the kids. But I guess thats what the ipad is for. We have a Ram Mount suction cup cradle for the ipad that mounts it to the sunroof so they can watch movies and the audio streams over the bluetooth.
My GC with the V6 is peppier than my Expedition was. It's got slightly less power but a huge weight reduction. You'll love the gas savings as much as I do.

Movies keep them occupied, no doubt. If they need to be separated use pieces of cardboard.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Johnstown, PA
Posts: 606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1871
Jdsmitty10 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 3 kids

Toyota is not the only awd minivan not that I think u should get one..

I have a limited v6 and it's working great as a 3 kid hauler. Our double stroller even goes diagonal across the cargo area..

And I figured if I need more cargo room I would take my Tacoma doublecab.. Not as comfy with kids in it but works...
__________________
2012 Limited V6 4x4 w/20" wheels, lux package, 730N stone white on black. 18% tint on front windows
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 Loaded
2007 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 944
gopking119 is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
My GC with the V6 is peppier than my Expedition was. It's got slightly less power but a huge weight reduction. You'll love the gas savings as much as I do.

Movies keep them occupied, no doubt. If they need to be separated use pieces of cardboard.
Ha ha. I'll talk to the wife. We'll see what she says about the cardboard!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 944
gopking119 is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 View Post
Toyota is not the only awd minivan not that I think u should get one..

I have a limited v6 and it's working great as a 3 kid hauler. Our double stroller even goes diagonal across the cargo area..

And I figured if I need more cargo room I would take my Tacoma doublecab.. Not as comfy with kids in it but works...
I could have sworn Toyota was the only one making an AWD minivan. Oh well. Not gonna get one anyhow.

Do you take long trips in your limited? With luggage? Your kids in car seats still I take it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Johnstown, PA
Posts: 606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1871
Jdsmitty10 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 3 kids

Haven't been on one past 2hrs. But we have taken many trips to our hometown 2hrs away. Thy all sleep for that one. I'm in about te Mae boat as u. Daughter is gonna be 4 in sept, son will be 2 in a week, and other son is 5 months. Got Myself fixed haha cause 3 in that amount of time is enough.. We plan on taking it on all our trips.. 2 older kids are 5 point harnessed til 60lbs(car seat max and dot want to mess with reaching between seats to buckle boosters for my almost 4 yr old) and my baby is in a graco snugride base/carrier.. other seats are graco nautilous(really wide dot reccommend) and sunshine kids radian 65( very narrow)

__________________
2012 Limited V6 4x4 w/20" wheels, lux package, 730N stone white on black. 18% tint on front windows
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 Loaded
2007 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 944
gopking119 is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 View Post
Haven't been on one past 2hrs. But we have taken many trips to our hometown 2hrs away. Thy all sleep for that one. I'm in about te Mae boat as u. Daughter is gonna be 4 in sept, son will be 2 in a week, and other son is 5 months. Got Myself fixed haha cause 3 in that amount of time is enough.. We plan on taking it on all our trips.. 2 older kids are 5 point harnessed til 60lbs(car seat max and dot want to mess with reaching between seats to buckle boosters for my almost 4 yr old) and my baby is in a graco snugride base/carrier.. other seats are graco nautilous(really wide dot reccommend) and sunshine kids radian 65( very narrow)
Looks good. Looks like it'll work for us. We have the 2 year old and 4 year old both in the Sunshine Kids Radians, so both very narrow. Thanks!

Do you find it easier to get the seats in by reclining the 2nd row just a bit?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Johnstown, PA
Posts: 606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1871
Jdsmitty10 is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb Re: 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopking119 View Post
Looks good. Looks like it'll work for us. We have the 2 year old and 4 year old both in the Sunshine Kids Radians, so both very narrow. Thanks!

Do you find it easier to get the seats in by reclining the 2nd row just a bit?
Yes it is slightly reclined. Not much but it is.. We have takn my Tacoma with 2 kids 8hrs to the beach with a fully loaded bed under a tonno cover so I do worry about fitting everythin in but I also always felt we were taking everything but the kitchen sink so having less cargo space will be a good excuse not to over pack.. How tall is the front passenger? My wife is 5'4" so she fits fine with te RF behind her. Sometimes when she's my DD I sit there and it's tight for me (6') but it won't be long we will have 3 FF seats back there anyway..

Ps do you find te radians to be a PIA to tighten the harness? I have 2(ones in my truck) and the both are tough to pull the harness tight but I definatly wouldn't have a wk2 if it wasn't for the narrowness of a radian. With u running 2 of those you will have PLENTY of room. Only 17" wide at widest point.. Good luck
__________________
2012 Limited V6 4x4 w/20" wheels, lux package, 730N stone white on black. 18% tint on front windows
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 Loaded
2007 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 944
gopking119 is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 View Post
Yes it is slightly reclined. Not much but it is.. We have takn my Tacoma with 2 kids 8hrs to the beach with a fully loaded bed under a tonno cover so I do worry about fitting everythin in but I also always felt we were taking everything but the kitchen sink so having less cargo space will be a good excuse not to over pack.. How tall is the front passenger? My wife is 5'4" so she fits fine with te RF behind her. Sometimes when she's my DD I sit there and it's tight for me (6') but it won't be long we will have 3 FF seats back there anyway..

Ps do you find te radians to be a PIA to tighten the harness? I have 2(ones in my truck) and the both are tough to pull the harness tight but I definatly wouldn't have a wk2 if it wasn't for the narrowness of a radian. With u running 2 of those you will have PLENTY of room. Only 17" wide at widest point.. Good luck
My wife is 5'3" and I'm 5'8" so it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. I found that to tighten to radians you can't just pull the strap. It only lets you pull about 1/2" of strap out at a time so if you need to tighten it 3-4 inches just give the strap 6-8 quick jerks and it tightens right up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Johnstown, PA
Posts: 606
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1871
Jdsmitty10 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 3 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopking119 View Post
My wife is 5'3" and I'm 5'8" so it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. I found that to tighten to radians you can't just pull the strap. It only lets you pull about 1/2" of strap out at a time so if you need to tighten it 3-4 inches just give the strap 6-8 quick jerks and it tightens right up.
Ya its like a pull straight down ratcheting action. Not as easy and smooth as my Gracos (especially in te middle reaching in)but I had to have the narrowness to get 3 across my 2 vehicles..
__________________

__________________
2012 Limited V6 4x4 w/20" wheels, lux package, 730N stone white on black. 18% tint on front windows
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 Loaded
2007 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kids toast parents late model Cherokee Paul Appell Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 1 09-11-2010 10:47 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community