Originally Posted by TurboRush
Great trip and pics...
I am heading out to Yellowstone from NH next week (although not in the JGC). Not to take your thread off topic, but, we have all the books but am interested in your opinion as any must see things while we are there. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep it out of this thread.
This is very subjective - maybe you travel with kids or elderly or your mobility is not so great.
In no particular order:
1. Old Faithful
2. Upper Geyser Basin
3. Grand Loop Road
4. Waterfalls - if you drive along Grand Loop road you will see a few
5. Wild Life (we did not stop for every elk or bison)
6. If you are up for a drive (a whole day), head into Yellowstone, take the Western exit to Coy and head to the Buffalo Bill Cody dam, Cody WY. The scenery and the rock formations are spectacular.
1. Take the roads closest to the mountains (Wilson Rd.; Teton Park Rd. etc)
2. Hike - we hiked the Death Canyon Trailhead to Phelps Lake - about one hour from where you leave the car, but my mother, at 68 years of age and a bad knee had no major issues. She took a few rests, but we also did it on a rainy day. Carry plenty of water and a bear pepper spray if you hike.
3. In Teton Village take the Aerial Tramway
If you are coming via I-90 (South Dakota) you should stop at Mount Rushmore and also at the Buffalo Bill Cody - Cody WY dam - by entering Yellowstone from the West. The rocky scenery is spectacular.
There's more stuff around Cody but I did not get to it. Yellowstone is a chore driving through - the speeds are slow, the caravans are annoying, it takes easily 3 hours to go from Jackson to Yellowstone via the South entrance and exit Yellowstone by any other route.