4Runner Comparison - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 03-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 21
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1237
Toyo is on a distinguished road
4Runner Comparison

I just rented a Toyota 4 Runner SR5 today and wow, I have to say it feels like two generations behind the JGC. BTW, I can give very unbiased feedback as I had 4Runners for over a decade before I bought the Jeep this fall and I still own a 2005 4 Runner Sport I stil love too much to let go. Oddly, this latest generation 4Runner feels like a step back to my former 2002.

Lets start with the sheet metal. The ugly face on the new 4Runners is what sent me to Jeep in the first place. There is no competition here. The Jeep is downright handsome. The 4Runner is "hide your women and children" ugly. This is fact. There is no debate here.

The interior in the 4Runner is a dog's breakfast. I mean how does this happen? I don't know where to begin. I suppose it's functional, but there is no cohesive design language here at all. It's a failed random assortment of hard cheap plastics. The instrument cluster is nice, but unfortunately is matches nothing else. I do have to give Kudos to the 4Runner for visibility. It's very airy at the controls.

The Toyota's suspension is the biggest step back. My 4th generation with 130K miles is much more agile and controlled. Somehow Toyota engineers defied physics and managed to design a suspension with all of the bounce of a retro Cadillac and the stiffness of a lumberwagon. The Jeep we all know is decidedly German. It just feels good.

Brakes oh my lord the brakes. Let's just say I could never find a balance between stopping and stopping so hard my passengers must have been thinking I was trying to eject them out of thier seats. Way overdone. Are there drums on here? The brakes on my Jeep feel exact. Call it perfectly controlled.

I suppose the 4Runner will easily go 300K miles past the shop, but who would want to volunteer for that purgatory?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-12-2015, 11:59 PM
schmieg's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 590
Thanks: 6
Thanked 84 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 2085
schmieg has a reputation beyond reputeschmieg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 4Runner Comparison

I had both an 86 and a 95 4Runner, both SR5's. The interior of the 86 was nicer than the one in the 95. The 86 had the 4 cylinder with a manual 5 speed and the 95 a six with the automatic. The six wasn't that much more powerful than the four, but the gas mileage with the six was atrocious. My top mileage on that on the highway was less than my in town mileage on the four. Both were top notch off-road, but both were underpowered. Both started using a significant amount of oil at around 75k miles and that was the reason I got rid of each of them.


The toughest off-roader I've had was a 78 Bronco (U-150) with a 351 engine and New Standard 4 speed manual tranny. I only got it stuck once and the frame was sitting on the ground and all four wheels were spinning in mud holes. A little bit of forward motion using a comealong let it pull itself out. It wasn't that comfortable on the road and the interior sucked, but I ordered it that way, deleting carpet for the rubber floor covering as I figured deer blood would clean up better. I would just open the doors and drop the tailgate, then clean it out with a hose.
__________________
--- Mike
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.6 Liter, OAII, Adv. Tech Group, MoPar Rock Rails

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmieg For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 03-13-2015, 08:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 858
Thanks: 23
Thanked 97 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 3205
Snipe315 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 4Runner Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyo View Post
I just rented a Toyota 4 Runner SR5 today and wow, I have to say it feels like two generations behind the JGC. BTW, I can give very unbiased feedback as I had 4Runners for over a decade before I bought the Jeep this fall and I still own a 2005 4 Runner Sport I stil love too much to let go. Oddly, this latest generation 4Runner feels like a step back to my former 2002.

Lets start with the sheet metal. The ugly face on the new 4Runners is what sent me to Jeep in the first place. There is no competition here. The Jeep is downright handsome. The 4Runner is "hide your women and children" ugly. This is fact. There is no debate here.

The interior in the 4Runner is a dog's breakfast. I mean how does this happen? I don't know where to begin. I suppose it's functional, but there is no cohesive design language here at all. It's a failed random assortment of hard cheap plastics. The instrument cluster is nice, but unfortunately is matches nothing else. I do have to give Kudos to the 4Runner for visibility. It's very airy at the controls.

The Toyota's suspension is the biggest step back. My 4th generation with 130K miles is much more agile and controlled. Somehow Toyota engineers defied physics and managed to design a suspension with all of the bounce of a retro Cadillac and the stiffness of a lumberwagon. The Jeep we all know is decidedly German. It just feels good.

Brakes oh my lord the brakes. Let's just say I could never find a balance between stopping and stopping so hard my passengers must have been thinking I was trying to eject them out of thier seats. Way overdone. Are there drums on here? The brakes on my Jeep feel exact. Call it perfectly controlled.

I suppose the 4Runner will easily go 300K miles past the shop, but who would want to volunteer for that purgatory?
I also agree with just about everything wrote.

I had a 2005 Limited 4Runner (4th Generation) V8. When the 2010 (5th Generation) came out, I couldn't believe how much they downgraded it compared to my 4th Gen! They removed several high end features that were in the available on the 2005-2009 models.

The current 4Runner really is a joke compared to the WK2; especially the 2014/2015 ones.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-13-2015, 08:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 386
Thanks: 15
Thanked 86 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 2407
amr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 4Runner Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmieg View Post

The toughest off-roader I've had was a 78 Bronco (U-150) with a 351 engine and New Standard 4 speed manual tranny. I only got it stuck once and the frame was sitting on the ground and all four wheels were spinning in mud holes. A little bit of forward motion using a comealong let it pull itself out. It wasn't that comfortable on the road and the interior sucked, but I ordered it that way, deleting carpet for the rubber floor covering as I figured deer blood would clean up better. I would just open the doors and drop the tailgate, then clean it out with a hose.

ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1426252313.155077.jpg

Off topic....but I still have mine. '78 with 114k miles on it.



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
---
2014 Granite / Frost Beige - Limited - Lux II - Off Road II - Block Heater - CRD - 275/65/18 Michelin LTX A/T2 Tires -Rock Rails
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Washington DC/Alexandria VA
Posts: 177
Thanks: 4
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 1715
Sleestak is on a distinguished road
Re: 4Runner Comparison

I had to LOL at the OP. What a funny but serious write up at the same time! Oddly enough, I just checked out reviews of the 4Runner yesterday. Just looks terrible and hardly comperable to the WK2 to me......and by the way, what the hell happened to the appearance of the Nissan Pathfinder! OMG - they ruined it!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2015, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 386
Thanks: 15
Thanked 86 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 2407
amr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 4Runner Comparison

I hear you on the Pathfinder - the truck that my WK2 replaced was this - but the new Pathfinder wasn't even a consideration.

Loved my Pathfinder!

ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1426256544.557910.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
---
2014 Granite / Frost Beige - Limited - Lux II - Off Road II - Block Heater - CRD - 275/65/18 Michelin LTX A/T2 Tires -Rock Rails
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Washington DC/Alexandria VA
Posts: 177
Thanks: 4
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 1715
Sleestak is on a distinguished road
Re: 4Runner Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by amr40509 View Post
I hear you on the Pathfinder - the truck that my WK2 replaced was this - but the new Pathfinder wasn't even a consideration.

Loved my Pathfinder!

Attachment 53617


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Yeah - that's a sweet looking Pathfinder. I liked them a lot better back in the day. Not really too sure why they turned the "Pathfinder" into a "Grocery-Getter".
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2015, 10:57 AM
schmieg's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 590
Thanks: 6
Thanked 84 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 2085
schmieg has a reputation beyond reputeschmieg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 4Runner Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by amr40509 View Post
Attachment 53602

Off topic....but I still have mine. '78 with 114k miles on it.



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Can't fully tell from the picture - is that the brown? Mine looked like that in brown with the cream top and it had a brush bar with fog lights and off road spots on the front. I also installed a roof rack to carry a canoe - a bit of a trick considering the fiberglass half roof.
__________________
--- Mike
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.6 Liter, OAII, Adv. Tech Group, MoPar Rock Rails

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 386
Thanks: 15
Thanked 86 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 2407
amr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond reputeamr40509 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 4Runner Comparison

Factory it was silver - I had it painted charcoal gray in about '96. Always garage kept.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
---
2014 Granite / Frost Beige - Limited - Lux II - Off Road II - Block Heater - CRD - 275/65/18 Michelin LTX A/T2 Tires -Rock Rails
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,118
Thanks: 74
Thanked 297 Times in 261 Posts
Rep Power: 46570
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 4Runner Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
I had to LOL at the OP. What a funny but serious write up at the same time! Oddly enough, I just checked out reviews of the 4Runner yesterday. Just looks terrible and hardly comperable to the WK2 to me......and by the way, what the hell happened to the appearance of the Nissan Pathfinder! OMG - they ruined it!!!
Looks ain't all they ruined. It is now a "sports activity vehicle" meaning it may go offroad, but you'll need a Jeep to tow it back ONTO the road...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-14-2015, 09:47 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,539
Thanks: 284
Thanked 624 Times in 485 Posts
Rep Power: 30670
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 4Runner Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyo View Post
I just rented a Toyota 4 Runner SR5 today and wow, I have to say it feels like two generations behind the JGC. BTW, I can give very unbiased feedback as I had 4Runners for over a decade before I bought the Jeep this fall and I still own a 2005 4 Runner Sport I stil love too much to let go. Oddly, this latest generation 4Runner feels like a step back to my former 2002.

Lets start with the sheet metal. The ugly face on the new 4Runners is what sent me to Jeep in the first place. There is no competition here. The Jeep is downright handsome. The 4Runner is "hide your women and children" ugly. This is fact. There is no debate here.

The interior in the 4Runner is a dog's breakfast. I mean how does this happen? I don't know where to begin. I suppose it's functional, but there is no cohesive design language here at all. It's a failed random assortment of hard cheap plastics. The instrument cluster is nice, but unfortunately is matches nothing else. I do have to give Kudos to the 4Runner for visibility. It's very airy at the controls.

The Toyota's suspension is the biggest step back. My 4th generation with 130K miles is much more agile and controlled. Somehow Toyota engineers defied physics and managed to design a suspension with all of the bounce of a retro Cadillac and the stiffness of a lumberwagon. The Jeep we all know is decidedly German. It just feels good.

Brakes oh my lord the brakes. Let's just say I could never find a balance between stopping and stopping so hard my passengers must have been thinking I was trying to eject them out of thier seats. Way overdone. Are there drums on here? The brakes on my Jeep feel exact. Call it perfectly controlled.

I suppose the 4Runner will easily go 300K miles past the shop, but who would want to volunteer for that purgatory?
lol I have got to agree with you and well put, that Toyota 4 runner is one ugly duckling. I just dont know what the Japanese car makers are thinking these days and have you seen the current pathfinder they turned it into a boring minivan. Pathfinder years ago was great now its a minivan. Nissan really is churning out junk these days. they can't give those current maximas away, another ruined over priced car. my friend paid 24k for a brand new one black on black that had a 35k sticker I have never seen percentage discounts that deep on anything before.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-14-2015, 03:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Washington DC/Alexandria VA
Posts: 177
Thanks: 4
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 1715
Sleestak is on a distinguished road
Re: 4Runner Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
looks ain't all they ruined. It is now a "sports activity vehicle" meaning it may go offroad, but you'll need a jeep to tow it back onto the road...
lol!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New lift & new look on my dad's 2000 Toyota 4Runner QBNKID Other Rides 15 09-17-2015 12:22 AM
WK2 > 4Runner bluethunderjeep Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 1 11-01-2010 11:26 AM
Round two... 2011 GC vs 4Runner bluethunderjeep Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 28 08-17-2010 01:46 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.