Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #73  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM
MSCA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 713
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2254
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
Dubious. Another hundo says you get banned again, proceeds go to JG.



.
Banned for what exactly? So far you've made a bunch of false claims to attack me personally instead of focusing on what I actually said and keeping on that topic. If you refute my words, then by all means tell me why instead of making personal attacks.
__________________

__________________
  #74  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 22378
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

But whatever....it's quite easy to look up average snowfall for any area. Numbers are numbers and they don't lie. Last winter was a heavy snowfall year for everyone around here. This year, not so much. And are you really trying to tell me that you got about two feet of snow from the late October storm? Seriously? You might want to rethink that statement because the records don't at all support what you're claiming.>>>


You should be careful here. You're talking to someone who's been sailing a long time and I know a LOT about weather. Clearly you have a minimal understanding of weather and temperature. I will attempt to explain politely.
1) The base of our road is 2.4 miles away. The average temperature diviation is two degrees less by the time you drive up to my property. This due to several factors: Elevation, exposure and ground temperature. When we moved here we did not fully comprehend that relatively small differences in those factors could add up to anything substantial. We have certainly learned otherwise.
2) There is no weather station for our area. I and a few neighbors use snow gauges. They are no less effective than what most stations use.
3) We had over 20" of snow in our small area. This was due to our lower temps, colder ground and exposure overall. The depth was consistant within about a mile of our home, but in Carmel it was much less.

So, yeah, seriously. It might also interest you to know that wind/temp and precip can vary by 30% or more within less than a mile. As I pointed out we are isolated here, on state watershed land. 2.5 years ago when two seperate tree-removal companies dug out our crushed cars from the snow and rubble they told us that our area was by far the worst they'd seen at over 30". Some houses were partially crushed. A lot of this was due to the specific snow density.

So when you say your 40 miles away....means nothing. Our friends in Mahopac are 20 minutes away. They don't need a 4x4 at all. They don't need a 15K Genset on standby.

In short: You seriously don't know what you're talking about.


Robert B
NY
__________________

__________________
  #75  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 AM
MSCA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 713
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2254
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRB View Post
But whatever....it's quite easy to look up average snowfall for any area. Numbers are numbers and they don't lie. Last winter was a heavy snowfall year for everyone around here. This year, not so much. And are you really trying to tell me that you got about two feet of snow from the late October storm? Seriously? You might want to rethink that statement because the records don't at all support what you're claiming.>>>


You should be careful here. You're talking to someone who's been sailing a long time and I know a LOT about weather. Clearly you have a minimal understanding of weather and temperature. I will attempt to explain politely.
1) The base of our road is 2.4 miles away. The average temperature diviation is two degrees less by the time you drive up to my property. This due to several factors: Elevation, exposure and ground temperature. When we moved here we did not fully comprehend that relatively small differences in those factors could add up to anything substantial. We have certainly learned otherwise.
2) There is no weather station for our area. I and a few neighbors use snow gauges. They are no less effective than what most stations use.
3) We had over 20" of snow in our small area. This was due to our lower temps, colder ground and exposure overall. The depth was consistant within about a mile of our home, but in Carmel it was much less.

So, yeah, seriously. It might also interest you to know that wind/temp and precip can vary by 30% or more within less than a mile. As I pointed out we are isolated here, on state watershed land. 2.5 years ago when two seperate tree-removal companies dug out our crushed cars from the snow and rubble they told us that our area was by far the worst they'd seen at over 30". Some houses were partially crushed. A lot of this was due to the specific snow density.

So when you say your 40 miles away....means nothing. Our friends in Mahopac are 20 minutes away. They don't need a 4x4 at all. They don't need a 15K Genset on standby.

In short: You seriously don't know what you're talking about.


Robert B
NY

I live on the ridge of a mountain. I know all about elevation and how it can affect the weather.

As for you and your area--post some pics. You surely must have them, you know, with all that extreme weather you get. Until then, I'll just keep thinking what I've been thinking all along.
__________________
  #76  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 22378
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

I'll end this silly debate with a few pics:

http://ghostlight.zenfolio.com/p636426129/slideshow

The first fuzzy pic shows us getting that 20" I told you about. In that pic look at the railing. And the storm wasn't half over yet!
The second pic gives a good indication of how rough it gets, even on the main road below us. This was a warm storm, so the roads were clear. Our road was not.
The third pic shows a snapped power pole! My friend at NYSEG said we got it the worst. I'm not even sure how it snapped. We lost power on that Saturday and didn't get it back until Wednesday. Ran on the genset.
The fourth pic shows our house in a "nice storm!" Taken last January there's about 12" and we ended up with 20". 4 miles away and they got half that amount.

I'll see if I can find the depressing shots of our crushed garage.

Robert B
NY
__________________
  #77  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 22378
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

As for you and your area--post some pics. You surely must have them, you know, with all that extreme weather you get. Until then, I'll just keep thinking what I've been thinking all along.>>>


LOL! I just posted some pics.

I don't think you've been thinking at all. All you've been is confrontational, nasty and wrong. I bet you'll keep it up.

Like I said, enjoy your 4runner. I'm bowing out of this schoolyard game.

Cheers,


Robert B
NY
__________________
  #78  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 AM
MSCA's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 713
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2254
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRB View Post
I'll end this silly debate with a few pics:



The first fuzzy pic shows us getting that 20" I told you about. In that pic look at the railing. And the storm wasn't half over yet!

Robert B
NY
Yeah...okay. So you took pictures only halfway through the storm, but have none that actually show the two feet of snow that you claimed. Sure, bud. That's exactly what I expected.
__________________
  #79  
Old 01-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 22378
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

For those who wonder about these things, I use a paid weather site, but historical data by state is easy enough to find online. Try weather2000 for example. Someone didn't because it easily shows 20" happens and it has recently.

These are published by state. These are for the City areas. Naturally upstate was worse.

2011 January 26th-27th Peak-3" per hour. TA = 19.0"
2010 December 26th-27th Peak-3.3" per hour. TA = 20"
2010 February 25th-26th Peak-NA TA = 20.9

How would it be an hour upstate 900 feet above sea level? Any worse? Nahhhhhh!!!

The Halloween storm gave Milford 18" 50 miles from me at a lower elevation. Could it be worse here? Nahhhhhh!

LOL....sorry, folks. I just had to kick the dog one last time. If I could throw in a Simpson's "Doh!" I would. (and all because I found the 4runner a cheap feeling ride compared to a new Overland)

Cheers,


Robert B
From steamy NY!
__________________
  #80  
Old 01-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 965
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 21981
jeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRB View Post
For those who wonder about these things, I use a paid weather site, but historical data by state is easy enough to find online. Try weather2000 for example. Someone didn't because it easily shows 20" happens and it has recently.

These are published by state. These are for the City areas. Naturally upstate was worse.

2011 January 26th-27th Peak-3" per hour. TA = 19.0"
2010 December 26th-27th Peak-3.3" per hour. TA = 20"
2010 February 25th-26th Peak-NA TA = 20.9

How would it be an hour upstate 900 feet above sea level? Any worse? Nahhhhhh!!!

The Halloween storm gave Milford 18" 50 miles from me at a lower elevation. Could it be worse here? Nahhhhhh!

LOL....sorry, folks. I just had to kick the dog one last time. If I could throw in a Simpson's "Doh!" I would. (and all because I found the 4runner a cheap feeling ride compared to a new Overland)

Cheers,


Robert B
From steamy NY!
What Milford are you referring to? Connecticut?
__________________
  #81  
Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 22378
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

West Milford NJ. I believe they got 18.5"

Westchester recorded 12.5"

Anyway, enough of the "my snow is worse than your snow" nonsense. The original point of the thread was my concerns over the 2012 Overland and I'm mostly satisfied at this point. We test drove a lot of stuff, did the research and talked to owners. In the end it came down to the Overland, LR4 and Toyota Landcruiser, all giving serious luxury and off-road ability. At least for now the Overland is the choice pick for us. A 4runner was out of the running 2 minutes into a test drive. It's a great truck I'm sure, but it's a step backward from what we want.


Cheers,


Robert B
NY
__________________
  #82  
Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Scottina06's Avatar
JeepGarage Founder
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 49,241
Thanks: 866
Thanked 975 Times in 689 Posts
Rep Power: 7717877
Scottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

take it to the flammables guys......


that means stop...... This thread has completely turned to garbage
__________________
SCOTT
The HARDER you work...the LUCKIER you are!
2014 REDLINE red Jeep SRT "BLOODIED\BlackOps CFR Edition" 1 of 1
2013 JKU Wrangler 10A-stormtrooper'ed, JW Speaker and more!
Previous JEEP rides-
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-deep cherry
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-inferno red



Twitter-The_Jeep_Guy
Instagram-thejeep_guy

  #83  
Old 01-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 965
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 21981
jeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond reputejeepster23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRB View Post
West Milford NJ. I believe they got 18.5"

Westchester recorded 12.5"

Anyway, enough of the "my snow is worse than your snow" nonsense. The original point of the thread was my concerns over the 2012 Overland and I'm mostly satisfied at this point. We test drove a lot of stuff, did the research and talked to owners. In the end it came down to the Overland, LR4 and Toyota Landcruiser, all giving serious luxury and off-road ability. At least for now the Overland is the choice pick for us. A 4runner was out of the running 2 minutes into a test drive. It's a great truck I'm sure, but it's a step backward from what we want.


Cheers,


Robert B
NY
Oh I hear ya Bud I am from Milford CT that is why I asked I was gonna verify that we got at least 15 inches plus during that Halloween Storm. I am familar with where you live and I have zero problems believing the totals you gave, that area always gets pounded. I also agree that the Overland is Twice the truck of a POS Toyota 4 runner that rides like a M!A1 Abrams for Gods Sake and is as luxurious as a go kart.
__________________
  #84  
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 22378
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Afraid to Buy a 2012 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster23 View Post
Oh I hear ya Bud I am from Milford CT that is why I asked I was gonna verify that we got at least 15 inches plus during that Halloween Storm. I am familar with where you live and I have zero problems believing the totals you gave, that area always gets pounded. I also agree that the Overland is Twice the truck of a POS Toyota 4 runner that rides like a M!A1 Abrams for Gods Sake and is as luxurious as a go kart.


I wouldn't go so far as to call the 4runner limited a POS. It's a serious platform, but a road car it is not. And that's the issue here. The Overland manages to be just as serious off road (more so I think) but it is very much a road car on par with a Mercedes or Land Rover. Compared to the ML350 4matic, the Jeep's steering and feedback was superior. It was also just as quiet, perhaps more so.
A 4runner is not in that zone. This is a forum to discuss the new Grand Cherokee. I did not expect an argument comparing it to a truck. Then again I didn't expect anyone to question how much snow I get!

Anyway....thanks to everyone again for the mostly helpful comments. We're pretty well set on the Overland. We'd get the Summit, but the lack of color choices is crazy! My dealer says he can put in the Summit grill insert and so on...and I'll be happy.

Robert B
NY
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey 2012 owners--I NEED A 2012 JEEP SRT8 pic for CALENDAR! Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 5 12-06-2011 04:21 PM
2012 Jeep SRT8 for sale in Australia in January 2012 Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 1 09-07-2011 10:03 AM
2012 srt8 vs 2012 overland Gene Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 9 06-12-2011 11:01 PM
Buy now or wait for 2012 yocubed Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 22 05-10-2011 07:29 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community