I have been internally debating between a wk2 and a LR4 for a few months now.
My main car for the last 14 years has been a 1997 Land Rover Discovery...she's a pig, but i still love her, despite two head gasket jobs, a lower block being replaced at 100k and incurable transfer case leaks (but surprisingly no lucas prince of darkness electrical problems) I am definitely partial to the rover brand, but i am very very VERY impressed with the new wk2. Here was my take on the two (personal opinion, your mileage may vary…)
1. Price. Not sure how people are quoting a 5k difference...i see wk2's selling at 1k under invoice....@42k for a overland v8 with oraII pkg. In San Diego, i am not seeing much of a deal for a rover...a HSE with rear locker (which is a major pain to find) is @52k...about 1k under msrp! 10grand difference! Say 9g if i get a better deal on a rover that i am currently seeing...If i put 10k down, that means i have a 25% bigger car payment for the LR4...adv jeep....simply a much better value.
2. MPG: ok, i realize talking about mpg while discussing v8 suv's is kind of absurd, but this is just a pet peave of mine. On the highway, the rover barely gets better mpg than my 14 year old pig...17mpg...vs say 20 or so for the 6spd 2012 wk2....and i don't have to use premium gas....add the extra @2 gallons in the fuel tank and you see a considerable range gap between the two...while i realize wheeling in the desert will reduce the gap, its still annoying...especially with their wonderful diesel available in the ROW..adv jeep...although to be fair, they both suck.
3. Cargo space: If i was single, i wouldn't care, put the back seats down, and either car would have more than enough space...but with two kids, the rear cargo area is important. The Rover has 22% more space, and its not inconviencend by the sloping rear door....funny enough, this has been the single biggest factor on not pulling the trigger on the wk2...if anyone who has a wk2 can share their experiences, i would appreciate it. Adv Rover...
4. Performance: a wash. I thought they were both great on the road, and from what i can read, will both be more than i need off piste...it is annoying that i have to look very hard to get the rear lockers options for the lr4, and the trail rated option is a good gimmick by Jeep.
5. Interior cabin: both very nice...and while my wife doesn't necessarily agree with me, i preferred the rovers...a bit more elegant, the hd nav system looked crisper, i hate the foot parking brake on the wk2, prefer the seating angle of the rover...but its all probably personal preference....call it a slight nod to the rover...but 10k should buy you something, no?
6. Target market: While both are luxurious, it seems to me that the jeep is marketed as an accomplished 4x4 that is luxurious while the LR4 is a luxury car that is incredible off road. Case in point: if i want a HD rear locker in the US, but i don't want the 9k luxury package option, i need to special order based on their current supply. When was the last time you saw a lr4 without a soccer mom and 5 kids? And lets talk about tires….the rover can be ordered with 19 or 20 inch wheels. There is not a 18inch option…in fact, i have been told the old lr3 18in wheels do not fit over the lr4's brakes….there is jack in availability for AT tires in 19inch…..you take one of the most capable stock off road vehicles on the planet and you can't put a decent AT tire on it? Also look under the rover, one of the lowest points is the exhaust…that just doesn't make any sense….I love the LR4, but if they had a stripped down version with a diesel…or a 4 door Defender, i would pull the trigger tonight. Look, the lr4 is a fantastic car, but its not what i really want. I want a LAND rover, not a RANGE rover light....and they just don't seem to sell those in the US anymore. To quote Land Rover's brand director "We don't talk about off road capability any more"…and thats the problem
So, were do i stand…right in the middle….prefer the rover over all, but the jeep is a much better value, if only i could get over the cargo area….or the extra 10k!
I don't think you can loose on either purchase. If anyone has pictures of their back cargo area filled up with gear, please post. As i stated earlier, for some quirky reason, thats an issue for me.