Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,337
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Rep Power: 4127
jp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond repute
Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

We keep reading on here how poorly Chrysler and jeep did in the consumer reports auto issue, but the Grand Cherokee did quite well with owners. The Grand Cherokee V-8 and diesel ranked only behind the Toyota Highlander V-6 and Toyota Fj cruiser out of about 30 suv's. 78 and 79 percent said they would definitely buy again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 AM
macfan's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fenton, Michigan USA
Posts: 608
Thanks: 130
Thanked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 5956
macfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

I found this interesting as well. This just came out yesterday from Consumers Digest. This is their recommendation of 2015 model Best Buys.

Top 3 "Midsize SUVs": Honda Pilot, Hyundai Santa Fe, Jeep Grand Cherokee
  #3  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:43 AM
GCLimited's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,191
Thanks: 14
Thanked 81 Times in 60 Posts
Rep Power: 52049
GCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp467 View Post

We keep reading on here how poorly Chrysler and jeep did in the consumer reports auto issue, but the Grand Cherokee did quite well with owners. The Grand Cherokee V-8 and diesel ranked only behind the Toyota Highlander V-6 and Toyota Fj cruiser out of about 30 suv's. 78 and 79 percent said they would definitely buy again.
I wonder what the numbers are for the 3.6L V6...
  #4  
Old 11-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,006
Thanks: 73
Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
Rep Power: 46307
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLimited View Post
I wonder what the numbers are for the 3.6L V6...
Quite obviously, all Jeep owners are masochists...
  #5  
Old 11-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Victor1960's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Uruguay
Posts: 474
Thanks: 15
Thanked 263 Times in 119 Posts
Rep Power: 399456
Victor1960 has a reputation beyond reputeVictor1960 has a reputation beyond reputeVictor1960 has a reputation beyond reputeVictor1960 has a reputation beyond reputeVictor1960 has a reputation beyond reputeVictor1960 has a reputation beyond reputeVictor1960 has a reputation beyond reputeVictor1960 has a reputation beyond reputeVictor1960 has a reputation beyond reputeVictor1960 has a reputation beyond reputeVictor1960 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

Hi,
It all depends on who writes the reviews, etc., you can have bad luck buying a Ferrari, nobody can guarantee you 100% satisfaction.
I buy my cars (or trucks) depending on what I like, the looks, the engines, etc., the reviews are good as a basic ideas, but they shouldnt be your guide on what to buy or not to buy.
Here is another site where the Jeep is number 6, and for me its wrong as my JGC is way ahead of all of them.
Best Affordable Midsize SUVs Rankings | U.S. News Best Cars
Anyways...have a great day...and enjoy your jeep !!...hopefully as much as I do !.
__________________
Grand Cherokee 2014 Limited - Mods so far : K&N Air intake system - Weathertec mats - Train Horn - Black Summit Grille - Sill Door Guards - Fog (Bulb) Lights
  #6  
Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 PM
macfan's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fenton, Michigan USA
Posts: 608
Thanks: 130
Thanked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 5956
macfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

This is from Allpar today:

Jeep continued to blaze new trails: it was the bestselling SUV brand in October. Jeep is just 8,564 sales behind Ford for the first ten months of 2014, and there’s a good possibility it could be the top SUV brand for the year.

Jeep added more volume than any other brand in October, with 18,819 more deliveries than in 2013. Jeep has also added an industry-leading 179,821 extra sales in the year-to-date column.



So, are these customers just crazy or do they have different priorities in rating a vehicle than Consumer Report editors do? I mean Consumer Report editors have been bashing Jeep all year and yet it really hasn't made a dent in sales. It seems like there is some kind of disconnect between Consumer Report editors and real world customers. Another problem seems to be the Consumer Report survey sampling pool. I would say the typical Consumer Report subscriber is not the typical real world Chrysler/Jeep customer. Also, if you tell people something is bad long enough they tend to believe it regardless if the real world facts tend to say differently. (I am wondering if the people filling out the Consumer Report survey have to offer any kind of proof they actually own the vehicle they are rating?)

Yes, I know there are several negative Nancy stories here but that is to be expected. Most people don't search out a blog/forum to post about how great their vehicle is and how pleased they are with it.
  #7  
Old 11-04-2014, 02:19 PM
schmieg's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 494
Thanks: 5
Thanked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 1838
schmieg has a reputation beyond reputeschmieg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

Don't know if anything further is coming, but I just received a followup survey from Consumer Reports about my Jeep.
__________________
--- Mike
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.6 Liter, OAII, Adv. Tech Group, MoPar Rock Rails

  #8  
Old 11-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post
So, are these customers just crazy or do they have different priorities in rating a vehicle than Consumer Report editors do?
Consumer Reports editors don't have subjective ratings when it comes to ranking reliability. They use hard numbers as supplied by their subscribers. So priorities have absolutely nothing to do with anything. Fact of the matter is that Jeep sells a decent number of vehicles despite being consistently on the bottom of the reliability ratings. Hell, Land Rover is awful too and they still sell a decent amount of SUVs. Of course that's a higher price point, so they'll never sell the volume of the lower end brands.

Quote:

I mean Consumer Report editors have been bashing Jeep all year and yet it really hasn't made a dent in sales.
Really? How do you know that? Are you saying that the sales would be the same even if Jeep, as a brand, were rated tops in reliability? Your statement is completely unfounded.

Quote:
It seems like there is some kind of disconnect between Consumer Report editors and real world customers. Another problem seems to be the Consumer Report survey sampling pool. I would say the typical Consumer Report subscriber is not the typical real world Chrysler/Jeep customer.
Again, crazy assumptions backed up by nothing but an opinion. You stated in another thread that the typical Consumer Reports subscriber is a high-income housewife who knows nothing about cars. Really? Where are you getting that info? And furthermore, does it really matter? All the cars are rated by the pool of subscribers, so that puts them on equal ground. It's not biased data that they're using. In fact, lots of people recognize that Consumer Reports doesn't accept advertising because they want to remain as unbiased as humanly possible.

Quote:
Also, if you tell people something is bad long enough they tend to believe it regardless if the real world facts tend to say differently. (I am wondering if the people filling out the Consumer Report survey have to offer any kind of proof they actually own the vehicle they are rating?)
Are you suggesting that there are people who are intentionally providing false data by giving poor scores for cars they don't own? Hmm....even if that were true, again, it would be true for ALL brands. Unless of course there's some sort of conspiracy against Jeep and no other brands out there. Yeah, that must be it---a band of anonymous trolls has set out to make the Jeep brand look bad by subscribing to Consumer Reports and then providing false data for Jeeps they don't even own. Maybe you need to start your own anti-Toyota campaign to level the playing field.

Quote:

Yes, I know there are several negative Nancy stories here but that is to be expected. Most people don't search out a blog/forum to post about how great their vehicle is and how pleased they are with it.
Numbers don't lie. Facts are facts. But I guess you don't believe that because you already stated that the 9-speed in the Cherokee has no issues. And I see that you posted in a thread about the 9-speed problems, but I guess those guys don't realize that there are no issues with their transmissions, just like you claimed here in this forum for the 8-speed.
  #9  
Old 11-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLimited View Post
I wonder what the numbers are for the 3.6L V6...
Well, the V6 doesn't get the "real" ZF 8-speed like the V8 does, so my guess is that the V6 is much lower than the V8 or the diesel for that matter. By comparison, there are very few transmission complaints for the V8 and the diesel. It's just a shame that Chrysler decided against putting the regular German-built ZF 8-speed in the V6 vehicles.
  #10  
Old 11-04-2014, 09:05 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,463
Thanks: 708
Thanked 1,000 Times in 788 Posts
Rep Power: 1805179
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

I'm not surprised at the disparity between the reliability and the customer satisfaction results. Jeep owners "love" their Jeeps like they love their children ... unconditionally, even when they are bad.

I remember smiling when the early 14s were hitting the streets. When somebody would bash their Jeep the responses went something like this;

My Jeep has been perfect ... except for ...
I have no complaints ... other than ...
We couldn't be happier ... but wish they could fix ...

Most of the responses started on a positive note and downplayed the negatives.

As I've said before, my biggest problem was I couldn't get comfortable in the seat. The other problems were mere inconveniences.


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

  #11  
Old 11-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,337
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Rep Power: 4127
jp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond reputejp467 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
Well, the V6 doesn't get the "real" ZF 8-speed like the V8 does, so my guess is that the V6 is much lower than the V8 or the diesel for that matter. By comparison, there are very few transmission complaints for the V8 and the diesel. It's just a shame that Chrysler decided against putting the regular German-built ZF 8-speed in the V6 vehicles.

Well we have not heard back from you on the other thread so I can only assume that you found the report I was speaking of. ZF didn't have the production capacity to supply both transmissions as you suggest. The Chrysler unit is fine it just had some bugs to work out early on.
  #12  
Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 57
Thanks: 9
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1919
docpaul has a reputation beyond reputedocpaul has a reputation beyond reputedocpaul has a reputation beyond reputedocpaul has a reputation beyond reputedocpaul has a reputation beyond reputedocpaul has a reputation beyond reputedocpaul has a reputation beyond reputedocpaul has a reputation beyond reputedocpaul has a reputation beyond reputedocpaul has a reputation beyond reputedocpaul has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Consumer Reports rates Owner satisfaction high

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post
This is from Allpar today:

Jeep continued to blaze new trails: it was the bestselling SUV brand in October. Jeep is just 8,564 sales behind Ford for the first ten months of 2014, and there’s a good possibility it could be the top SUV brand for the year.

Jeep added more volume than any other brand in October, with 18,819 more deliveries than in 2013. Jeep has also added an industry-leading 179,821 extra sales in the year-to-date column.

So, are these customers just crazy or do they have different priorities in rating a vehicle than Consumer Report editors do? I mean Consumer Report editors have been bashing Jeep all year and yet it really hasn't made a dent in sales. It seems like there is some kind of disconnect between Consumer Report editors and real world customers. Another problem seems to be the Consumer Report survey sampling pool. I would say the typical Consumer Report subscriber is not the typical real world Chrysler/Jeep customer. Also, if you tell people something is bad long enough they tend to believe it regardless if the real world facts tend to say differently. (I am wondering if the people filling out the Consumer Report survey have to offer any kind of proof they actually own the vehicle they are rating?)

Yes, I know there are several negative Nancy stories here but that is to be expected. Most people don't search out a blog/forum to post about how great their vehicle is and how pleased they are with it.
I actually think the reports correlate with one another.

When a company is in the midst of record sales, one potential explanation for lower reliability is that they've not yet scaled production with consistent quality. I suspect this will be a point of focus for the company.

The bottom line is that the JGC is a unique combination of features, appearance, and economy. A winning combination that's clearly in demand. Got me to order a custom one, at least.

Now they just have to effectively respond to their new found consumer interest and demand with predictable quality manufacturing.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consumer Reports Owner Satisfaction - Grand Cheokee Milous Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 19 12-14-2012 10:24 AM
Jeep Consumer Satisfaction Improves Lingohocken Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 4 08-17-2011 08:58 AM
What Happened to Consumer Reports Safety Complaint? Lingohocken Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 33 01-09-2011 05:30 PM
Consumer reports on 2011 LJS8510 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 8 07-28-2010 07:45 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.