Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-28-2014, 04:53 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sydney N.S.W. Australia
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 158
Blackadder785 is on a distinguished road
Electric Brake Controller

When I bought my car new, I had the dealership fit a brake controller with a remote head so that only the controls are visible and they are mounted adjacent to the fuel flap release button.
However, the controller isn't a proportional unit and I'm unhappy with it's performance.
The dealer advises that proportional units don't have the remote head and the whole unit has to be fitted where it is visible, but it can't be where the existing controls are because it will interfere with the knee airbag.
Where are people mounting their controllers?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-28-2014, 05:20 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canberra Australia
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 263
Aus summit is on a distinguished road
Re: Electric Brake Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder785 View Post
When I bought my car new, I had the dealership fit a brake controller with a remote head so that only the controls are visible and they are mounted adjacent to the fuel flap release button.
However, the controller isn't a proportional unit and I'm unhappy with it's performance.
The dealer advises that proportional units don't have the remote head and the whole unit has to be fitted where it is visible, but it can't be where the existing controls are because it will interfere with the knee airbag.
Where are people mounting their controllers?
I had my p3 mounted in the lower centre dash " where the USB plugs are" works great out of the way set and forget.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sydney N.S.W. Australia
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 158
Blackadder785 is on a distinguished road
Re: Electric Brake Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus summit View Post
I had my p3 mounted in the lower centre dash " where the USB plugs are" works great out of the way set and forget.
I assume you have had to remove the door? Can you still access the USB and other outlets that are in there?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-28-2014, 05:38 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canberra Australia
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 263
Aus summit is on a distinguished road
Re: Electric Brake Controller

Door still works fine and I can still access the usb's etc. do some searching on here you will find photos from other members.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sydney N.S.W. Australia
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 158
Blackadder785 is on a distinguished road
Re: Electric Brake Controller

That sounds great - thanks
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 AM
SNUKE's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 2,778
Thanks: 66
Thanked 249 Times in 204 Posts
Rep Power: 5441
SNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Electric Brake Controller

There is plenty of room in there, it can still be visible while driving too. Although once it set (depending on the unit) you don't bother looking at unless there is trouble.





__________________
I'm just want it for the "shorter headlamps".

MY14 GC Limited, 3.0 CRD, Lux II, Granite Crystal, 18" Wheels, Tubular Side Steps.
Could I get my avatar much larger?
Ordered: July 7 2013 Delivered Nov 25th
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sydney N.S.W. Australia
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 158
Blackadder785 is on a distinguished road
Re: Electric Brake Controller

Is it anchored in anyway, or wedged in with foam?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM
SNUKE's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 2,778
Thanks: 66
Thanked 249 Times in 204 Posts
Rep Power: 5441
SNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Electric Brake Controller

I had lost the bracket that sits above it. The plan was to have that installed, but could not find it. I then thought I would cut out a pocket of EVA foam for it to fit in and stay put. I found that piece of eva foam in with the spare wheel, I think it had something to do with the hitch receiver. So I placed that in and it did the job and hasn't stopped anything else from being done so I left it.
__________________
I'm just want it for the "shorter headlamps".

MY14 GC Limited, 3.0 CRD, Lux II, Granite Crystal, 18" Wheels, Tubular Side Steps.
Could I get my avatar much larger?
Ordered: July 7 2013 Delivered Nov 25th
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Peter.T's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia
Posts: 49
Thanks: 9
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 405
Peter.T will become famous soon enough
Re: Electric Brake Controller

IMHO mounting the Tekonsha or any controller for that matter in behind that door is a mistake. I am in the caravan industry and have seen too many van accidents where the driver has not been able to reach the emergency slide to straighten the van out. It involves thought processes that are nulled by the emergency.

I have mounted mine above the hood release knob. OK I have hit my knee on it a couple of times but now its become second nature to keep my stupid knee out of the way when entering the Jeep.

Please think carefully about the positioning of you brake controllers and figure that one day you will need to dive for that emergency slide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2 Brake controller on RH side.jpg (293.5 KB, 59 views)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sydney N.S.W. Australia
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 158
Blackadder785 is on a distinguished road
Re: Electric Brake Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.T View Post
IMHO mounting the Tekonsha or any controller for that matter in behind that door is a mistake. I am in the caravan industry and have seen too many van accidents where the driver has not been able to reach the emergency slide to straighten the van out. It involves thought processes that are nulled by the emergency.

I have mounted mine above the hood release knob. OK I have hit my knee on it a couple of times but now its become second nature to keep my stupid knee out of the way when entering the Jeep.

Please think carefully about the positioning of you brake controllers and figure that one day you will need to dive for that emergency slide.
That's a valid point Peter.
However, I have been told by Jeep that mounting it there will cause the knee airbag to malfunction, or if it does work it may bury parts of the controller into the drivers leg.
I have also seen them mounted on the top of the dash just to the right of the instrument cluster adjacent to the "A" pillar. Not sure I could bring myself to drill holes into the dash top though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 190
Burtim is on a distinguished road
Re: Electric Brake Controller

I will need to mount one of these in my new Limited when it shows up. I am interested in your ideas.

For the life of me, I don't know why this can't just be a part of the other electronics in the vehicle instead of having to add the device and clutter up the dash. They've got every other feature I probably don't need! These controllers are literally $5 worth of parts and $200+ worth of hassle.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Peter.T's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia
Posts: 49
Thanks: 9
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 405
Peter.T will become famous soon enough
Re: Electric Brake Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder785 View Post
That's a valid point Peter.
However, I have been told by Jeep that mounting it there will cause the knee airbag to malfunction, or if it does work it may bury parts of the controller into the drivers leg.
I have also seen them mounted on the top of the dash just to the right of the instrument cluster adjacent to the "A" pillar. Not sure I could bring myself to drill holes into the dash top though.
Hi Blackadder785.

The controller is well away from the knee airbag in this position and if what you say was correct, the light switch, hood opener and diesel filler cap release would also be buried into the drivers leg.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tekonsha primus iq electric brake controller georgep Wheels/Tires/Brakes 6 08-06-2013 07:45 PM
Electric brake controller tyresmoker Tech Tips/DIY/How To 31 10-10-2012 07:39 PM
question about electric brake controller mrfixxit7 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 06-05-2012 01:37 AM
What electric brake controller for a trailer do you recomend? mrfixxit7 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 3 06-02-2012 10:20 PM
Electric Tow Brake Controller April Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 64 06-22-2011 07:11 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community