Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today - Page 3 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 09-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,930
Thanks: 45
Thanked 237 Times in 186 Posts
Rep Power: 77250
mswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCO_77 View Post
Glad I didn't wait around for that. The more I see and hear about it then I know I would have hyped it up so much that it would have been a disappointment.

Also - not feeling the new 4th gen uconnect graphics - they look so vanilla


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Thanks for the Video link posted.

True it does look more vanilla. But who knows if that was production and what theming choices it may have.

I'll take a bump up in processor, memory, storage and screen over Themes any day. Software can be updated. Hardware not so easy or cheaply. And running Google Maps Native would be worth it alone. I use my Google Maps on my phone because it will always be a step ahead of anything with static maps. There is one catch though. I used to be an Android user and recently switched to iOS to develop an App for it (see my signature ). But I always still use Google Maps over Apple Maps (way better traffic and alternate route handling). I doubt Google Maps will work in "Car Play" mode. Probably only Apple Maps and I'm not about to switch back to Android.

Also it appears Android can do it's thing wireless but iPhone cannot. I'll bet it's not performance and something to do with Security/DRM which Apple is always paranoid about.

Still scratching my head why on earth Jeep Grand was not included yet. It must be just sheer amount of software work that needs to be coded and tested and not enough bodies to do all vehicles at once. And prioritizing volume and risk.

I absolutely love the 2017 Summit though.

__________________
07-24-2017 Summit 3.6L Velvet Red W/Black & Brown Int
Tires: OEM 20"/Nokian 18"
Situational awareness: Valentine One with V1Driver on IOS
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #26  
Old 09-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 614
Thanks: 176
Thanked 156 Times in 109 Posts
Rep Power: 2495
BubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond reputeBubbaATL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Yep, Google Maps on the big screen – that's what I want!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 28
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 431
Sammydavis is on a distinguished road
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Thanks for the Video link posted.

True it does look more vanilla. But who knows if that was production and what theming choices it may have.

I'll take a bump up in processor, memory, storage and screen over Themes any day. Software can be updated. Hardware not so easy or cheaply. And running Google Maps Native would be worth it alone. I use my Google Maps on my phone because it will always be a step ahead of anything with static maps. There is one catch though. I used to be an Android user and recently switched to iOS to develop an App for it (see my signature ). But I always still use Google Maps over Apple Maps (way better traffic and alternate route handling). I doubt Google Maps will work in "Car Play" mode. Probably only Apple Maps and I'm not about to switch back to Android.

Also it appears Android can do it's thing wireless but iPhone cannot. I'll bet it's not performance and something to do with Security/DRM which Apple is always paranoid about.

Still scratching my head why on earth Jeep Grand was not included yet. It must be just sheer amount of software work that needs to be coded and tested and not enough bodies to do all vehicles at once. And prioritizing volume and risk.

I absolutely love the 2017 Summit though.
Yeah crazy old Apple and security worrying.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #28  
Old 09-01-2016, 06:20 PM
dobiegillis's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 363
Thanks: 20
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 2679
dobiegillis is on a distinguished road
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Agree on the HK...its nice. I have it on my 2016 HA and it's now worth the $800 option (used to be over $2k so we passed on our 2013 300).

I haven't seen the Apple or Google car offerings but expect them to be underwhelming. Other than Google maps and it's amazing traffic capabilities, I think uconnect is great. It's still the best infotainment system on the market.
__________________
2016 High Altitude 4x2, V6, Granite
2011 Summit 4x4, Hemi, Brilliant Black/Saddle (sent to live with mom)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-02-2016, 09:19 AM
antjones21's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 78
Thanks: 25
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1198
antjones21 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiegillis View Post
Agree on the HK...its nice. I have it on my 2016 HA and it's now worth the $800 option (used to be over $2k so we passed on our 2013 300).

I haven't seen the Apple or Google car offerings but expect them to be underwhelming. Other than Google maps and it's amazing traffic capabilities, I think uconnect is great. It's still the best infotainment system on the market.
I agree but I'd add that the Google Music app would be nice also. I hate when I play music through my bluetooth and it has that stupid music symbol rather than display the Album cover/art. I wish Uconnect could fix that, my 2012 Regal GS showed the album art when I streamed over bluetooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160902_091122.jpg (136.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20160902_091146.jpg (104.4 KB, 28 views)
__________________


'16 High Altitude - Bright White
Old - '14 Altitude - Black
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-03-2016, 02:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 73
Thanks: 42
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 379
made_in_murica is on a distinguished road
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I give up on the radio, I couldn't wait that long (Spring 2017 at the earliest which means delivered by next Summer). I wanted to Trade before my Warranty was up.
I have seen several posts stating that the MY17 will be getting the upgrade but prior years will not because the 2017's have upgraded hardware and screens. Does that mean that the current 2017's at launch have the new hardware and are just awaiting the software update? I am looking at ordering my new 2017 summit this week but definitely want the Android Auto capability when it comes available. Does anyone know if it will just be a Uconnect Software update?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-03-2016, 07:50 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 145
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 2785
azzolij has a reputation beyond reputeazzolij has a reputation beyond reputeazzolij has a reputation beyond reputeazzolij has a reputation beyond reputeazzolij has a reputation beyond reputeazzolij has a reputation beyond reputeazzolij has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by made_in_murica View Post
I have seen several posts stating that the MY17 will be getting the upgrade but prior years will not because the 2017's have upgraded hardware and screens. Does that mean that the current 2017's at launch have the new hardware and are just awaiting the software update? I am looking at ordering my new 2017 summit this week but definitely want the Android Auto capability when it comes available. Does anyone know if it will just be a Uconnect Software update?

Somewhere in this discussion:

2017 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

Milous stated that the option designation for the new radio models will start with a
U instead of the current R. Given that the new radios also have a new screen with what
looks like higher resolution I doubt it is just a software upgrade for the current radios
being installed in 2017 Jeep.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-03-2016, 08:26 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,542
Thanks: 285
Thanked 624 Times in 485 Posts
Rep Power: 30674
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Thanks for the Video link posted.

True it does look more vanilla. But who knows if that was production and what theming choices it may have.

I'll take a bump up in processor, memory, storage and screen over Themes any day. Software can be updated. Hardware not so easy or cheaply. And running Google Maps Native would be worth it alone. I use my Google Maps on my phone because it will always be a step ahead of anything with static maps. There is one catch though. I used to be an Android user and recently switched to iOS to develop an App for it (see my signature ). But I always still use Google Maps over Apple Maps (way better traffic and alternate route handling). I doubt Google Maps will work in "Car Play" mode. Probably only Apple Maps and I'm not about to switch back to Android.

Also it appears Android can do it's thing wireless but iPhone cannot. I'll bet it's not performance and something to do with Security/DRM which Apple is always paranoid about.

Still scratching my head why on earth Jeep Grand was not included yet. It must be just sheer amount of software work that needs to be coded and tested and not enough bodies to do all vehicles at once. And prioritizing volume and risk.

I absolutely love the 2017 Summit though.
So you don't think google maps will work in car play mode? I think that is the main reason I would want it
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 4,922
Thanks: 918
Thanked 744 Times in 586 Posts
Rep Power: 112878
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
So you don't think google maps will work in car play mode? I think that is the main reason I would want it
I believe Apple Car Play is restrictive as to which applications work with it. I just did a Google search on the question, "Does Google Maps work with carplay". Several articles returned are about a "workaround"... so you might want to do the same search to see what the options are. A scan of one article seems to indicate that it was audio only, but I didn't delve into it too deeply.
__________________
2012 GC Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus "shoes" - LED fogs and DRLs



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food, Photography
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,930
Thanks: 45
Thanked 237 Times in 186 Posts
Rep Power: 77250
mswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
I believe Apple Car Play is restrictive as to which applications work with it. I just did a Google search on the question, "Does Google Maps work with carplay". Several articles returned are about a "workaround"... so you might want to do the same search to see what the options are. A scan of one article seems to indicate that it was audio only, but I didn't delve into it too deeply.
You can do Audio now ! That work around is pointless.

I beleive Android will have similar restrictions.
__________________
07-24-2017 Summit 3.6L Velvet Red W/Black & Brown Int
Tires: OEM 20"/Nokian 18"
Situational awareness: Valentine One with V1Driver on IOS
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 73
Thanks: 42
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 379
made_in_murica is on a distinguished road
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzolij View Post
Somewhere in this discussion:

2017 Grand Cherokee - Features & Changes

Milous stated that the option designation for the new radio models will start with a
U instead of the current R. Given that the new radios also have a new screen with what
looks like higher resolution I doubt it is just a software upgrade for the current radios
being installed in 2017 Jeep.
Anyone have inside info on when the new radio will be rolling out? I really want the Android auto, I use Google maps all the time and that would be a huge help.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,930
Thanks: 45
Thanked 237 Times in 186 Posts
Rep Power: 77250
mswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gave up waiting for MY 2017 Car Play and Bought a 2017 Summit Today

Last report from Milous was Spring 2017 (if it happens at all on MY 2017).
Which probably means by summer 2017 in users hands.
__________________
07-24-2017 Summit 3.6L Velvet Red W/Black & Brown Int
Tires: OEM 20"/Nokian 18"
Situational awareness: Valentine One with V1Driver on IOS
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2017, summit

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waiting Waiting motor351 New Members - Welcome! 1 08-18-2013 10:19 AM
my tint gave me a headache today akimball Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting 2 03-17-2013 02:00 PM
Freedom Edition WJ and remebering those who gave all ..... Joe in PA Members Rides 13 09-24-2010 09:07 AM
Gave the KJ two baths. ThunderbirdJunkie Liberty-KJ and KK 8 09-12-2010 01:35 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.