How big is a WK2 gas tank? - Page 4 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 10-05-2016, 03:29 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 316
Thanked 242 Times in 175 Posts
Rep Power: 2019
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

I wonder how much fuel remains, and where on the gauge, when the fuel pump starts to become exposed to air?

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billt For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #38  
Old 10-10-2016, 12:46 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 140
Kiltro is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

I've always waited until my light comes on for one simple reason: i like to calculate my fuel consumption. And the larger the sample, the more accurate the numbers are.

I've done this with every car I've owned and never had a problem with my gas pump or engine.

Even when the gauge is on E you still have like 3 gallons in the tank so you're not running the pump dry. You all need to chill :-)


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-10-2016, 09:30 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 316
Thanked 242 Times in 175 Posts
Rep Power: 2019
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltro View Post
I've always waited until my light comes on for one simple reason: i like to calculate my fuel consumption.
The car does that for you without running the tank down to fumes. Yes, you're at the mercy of the computer. With your way you are at the mercy of the gas pump. You have no way of knowing the accuracy of either.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 355
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 17524
Hammerhead has a reputation beyond reputeHammerhead has a reputation beyond reputeHammerhead has a reputation beyond reputeHammerhead has a reputation beyond reputeHammerhead has a reputation beyond reputeHammerhead has a reputation beyond reputeHammerhead has a reputation beyond reputeHammerhead has a reputation beyond reputeHammerhead has a reputation beyond reputeHammerhead has a reputation beyond reputeHammerhead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Calculating mileage isn't like a random survey where sample size is important. Frequent fill-ups just get you closer to an instantaneous mileage. As for me, I calculate mileage at every fill up and my spreadsheet also calculates a running average based on the last 3 fills for more of a long-term view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltro View Post
I've always waited until my light comes on for one simple reason: i like to calculate my fuel consumption. And the larger the sample, the more accurate the numbers are.

I've done this with every car I've owned and never had a problem with my gas pump or engine.

Even when the gauge is on E you still have like 3 gallons in the tank so you're not running the pump dry. You all need to chill :-)


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 140
Kiltro is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
The car does that for you without running the tank down to fumes. Yes, you're at the mercy of the computer. With your way you are at the mercy of the gas pump. You have no way of knowing the accuracy of either.

It's not running on fumes!. There is still plenty of gas left in the tank.

Modern cars don't have fuel pumps go bad for waiting until the light comes on. It doesn't happen.
It might happen if you actually run out of gas, but not for the typical driver.



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-10-2016, 11:17 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 316
Thanked 242 Times in 175 Posts
Rep Power: 2019
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltro View Post
It's not running on fumes!. There is still plenty of gas left in the tank.

Modern cars don't have fuel pumps go bad for waiting until the light comes on. It doesn't happen.
It might happen if you actually run out of gas, but not for the typical driver.
2 or 3 gallons is hardly "plenty" for a 2-1/2 ton, V-8 powered SUV. Especially if you live in a rural environment. And all to prove what? As I said, you already have instant, as well as average MPG in constant display. What is running the tank down going to accomplish?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 140
Kiltro is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
2 or 3 gallons is hardly "plenty" for a 2-1/2 ton, V-8 powered SUV. Especially if you live in a rural environment. And all to prove what? As I said, you already have instant, as well as average MPG in constant display. What is running the tank down going to accomplish?

To prove the point that it's my car and I do whatever I want with it. It's not going to break.
You're not going to change anybody's fueling habits by being snobby in a car forum. Move on, bro. Deal with it and get over it.



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiltro For This Useful Post:
  #44  
Old 10-10-2016, 12:29 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 316
Thanked 242 Times in 175 Posts
Rep Power: 2019
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltro View Post
To prove the point that it's my car and I do whatever I want with it.
I'm just trying to understand your logic of going out of your way to do something, that's automatically being done right in front of you every time you drive? If you find that to be so upsetting, perhaps you're the one who needs to... "Chill and get over it".
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 140
Kiltro is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I'm just trying to understand your logic of going out of your way to do something, that's automatically being done right in front of you every time you drive? If you find that to be so upsetting, perhaps you're the one who needs to... "Chill and get over it".


When you eat at a restaurant, do you at least take a look at your check to see if it's correct, or do you automatically assume it is and just hand over your credit card no questions asked?.

... the mpg display is off by at least 2 mpgs.




Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-10-2016, 01:10 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,340
Thanks: 316
Thanked 242 Times in 175 Posts
Rep Power: 2019
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltro View Post
When you eat at a restaurant, do you at least take a look at your check to see if it's correct, or do you automatically assume it is and just hand over your credit card no questions asked?.... the mpg display is off by at least 2 mpgs.
First off when I do go out, I don't pay for food on credit. And how do you know how much, if any, your display is off? Because you compared it to a gas pump.

As you said, you can do as you wish, it's your car. No one is saying otherwise. But at least stop being so foolish, as to make ridiculous comparisons in order to try to defend it. You're betting on the gas pump instead of your cars computer. You're comparing one to the other, and have no idea of the accuracy of either. You're trying to argue a point that you cannot possibly prove either way.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 12
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 140
Kiltro is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
First off when I do go out, I don't pay for food on credit. And how do you know how much, if any, your display is off? Because you compared it to a gas pump.

As you said, you can do as you wish, it's your car. No one is saying otherwise. But at least stop being so foolish, as to make ridiculous comparisons in order to try to defend it. You're betting on the gas pump instead of your cars computer. You're comparing one to the other, and have no idea of the accuracy of either. You're trying to argue a point that you cannot possibly prove either way.


Oh for Pete's sakes. Another snob comment. You're probably one of those that keep their cash under the mattress because they don't believe in banks or credit cards.
It all makes sense now.


Let me explain: I have reward credit cards and I pay them in full every month. I carry no balance, pay no interest and collect cashback rewards on each transaction. Basically, the credit card company gives me free money for using their card. It would be stupid NOT to pay for everyday expenses with my credit card and miss out on rewards for money I'm going to spend regardless.

Like I said, you're a snob.
And it's not worth it to continue discussing this with you. Have a great day.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-10-2016, 02:07 PM
NetworkTV's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 833
Thanks: 3
Thanked 191 Times in 144 Posts
Rep Power: 6972
NetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltro View Post
When you eat at a restaurant, do you at least take a look at your check to see if it's correct, or do you automatically assume it is and just hand over your credit card no questions asked?.

... the mpg display is off by at least 2 mpgs.
Irrelevant.

You can calculate mileage at any point as long as you fill the tank. As long as you know how much you put in and how many miles you drove, you can calculate mpg.

There are plenty of calculators that can do the math for you.

BTW: my mileage indicator is always within <1 mpg of any mileage calculator I've used. Yours may not be, but it's not a hard rule that those things are as inaccurate as you say.
__________________
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wk2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
big wheel big problem blakeyAus Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 1 03-15-2015 03:46 AM
Big Rock Also Took Out Gas Tank! ColoradoJeep Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 10-28-2013 11:36 AM
CA91 Gas VS Race Gas Mix ON A WK2 Stock Tune jim383 Tuners/CMR/Dyno/Datalogging/Gauges 8 10-06-2013 08:32 AM
Big Red, not so big anymore... bill38jeep Members Rides 46 10-21-2009 10:02 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.