How big is a WK2 gas tank? - Page 5 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #49  
Old 10-10-2016, 01:32 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,433
Thanks: 361
Thanked 315 Times in 211 Posts
Rep Power: 18174
billt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltro View Post
Oh for Pete's sakes. Another snob comment.
Followed by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltro View Post
You're probably one of those that keep their cash under the mattress because they don't believe in banks or credit cards.
God the irony, ya' gotta love it. Between your touchy temperament, along with your silly, insane reasoning of running around with your gas tank on empty. Followed by your rabid defense of credit cards, I think you're a good candidate for Paxil or Valium, with your 2 ounce trigger. Don't have a blowout.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #50  
Old 10-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,088
Thanks: 74
Thanked 292 Times in 256 Posts
Rep Power: 46478
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltro View Post
I've always waited until my light comes on for one simple reason: i like to calculate my fuel consumption. And the larger the sample, the more accurate the numbers are.

I've done this with every car I've owned and never had a problem with my gas pump or engine.

Even when the gauge is on E you still have like 3 gallons in the tank so you're not running the pump dry. You all need to chill :-)


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
1. Bad math. A large number of refills works just as well if not better.

2. Some people play Russian Roulette and have yet to meet Darwin.

3. Hopefully you don't live where emergency trips or heavy traffic jams ever happen without warning.

4. It got down to freezing already, chill enough?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lstowell For This Useful Post:
  #51  
Old 10-10-2016, 02:45 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,088
Thanks: 74
Thanked 292 Times in 256 Posts
Rep Power: 46478
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltro View Post
To prove the point that it's my car and I do whatever I want with it. It's not going to break.
You're not going to change anybody's fueling habits by being snobby in a car forum. Move on, bro. Deal with it and get over it.



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
You are a walking shoe salesman, aren't you.
.... or maybe a portable gas can salesman.

... and you don't even have a headphone jack.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lstowell For This Useful Post:
  #52  
Old 10-10-2016, 04:46 PM
overlanding's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,738
Thanks: 1,046
Thanked 324 Times in 271 Posts
Rep Power: 8952
overlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

This. Has. Been. So. Fun.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 856
Thanks: 23
Thanked 97 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 3141
Snipe315 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

I often don't gas up until the low fuel warning comes on.

Why? 2 Reasons...

Reason 1. Because I usually go threw the entire week before needing fuel. So when I get the Jeep washed (usually on a Friday), I also fill up the gas tank.

Reason 2. Because I want to.



I spend my time, energy, and money when, where, and how I darn well please.
__________________
2015 WK2 Overland 4x4 V8, Granite Exterior/Black Interior, ORA II, Advance Tech Package, Rear Seat DVD/Blu-ray
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-10-2016, 08:04 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,433
Thanks: 361
Thanked 315 Times in 211 Posts
Rep Power: 18174
billt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlanding View Post
This. Has. Been. So. Fun.
I agree. Very enjoyable.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billt For This Useful Post:
  #55  
Old 10-10-2016, 10:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 132
Thanks: 14
Thanked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 2271
Paul 92688 is on a distinguished road
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I agree. Very enjoyable.
I hope that is sarcastic because I find the sniping between posters here nauseating. Why anyone would get excited over how often SOMEONE ELSE fills up their tank is unfathomable to me.

Does anyone here know for a fact that the contents of the tank are needed to cool the pump? How much fuel is needed to perform the cooling? At what humidity and temperature condensation becomes a factor in fuel quality? How much fuel in the tank is sensible to maintain for SOMEONE ELSE for safety and convenience?

If time weren't so precious I would probably fill up earlier but as it is I go through a lot of fuel, I only fill up when the needle is low.

My Jeep is 372 days old. I have bought 1362.399 gallons of gas. That averages out to 3.66 gallons each day or 25.64 gallons per week. I have bought fuel 76 times or an average of once every 4.9 days. If I filled up at the half way point, I would be buying gas every 2.5 days. I will take my chances with the condensation and since I average 17.9 gallons per tank, I am going to work on the assumption that the average minimum amount of fuel in the tank will act as an adequate heat sink for the last day of driving with a low tank level. As far as condensation, I live in a warm fairly dry climate.
Not that it is anyone else's concern, but the above is why I run my tank low before filling up.

If you are worried about my habits... Too bad... You should report me to the SPCJ and let them handle your concerns...

Paul

EDIT
(Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Jeeps )
__________________


2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4 x 4 V6
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-11-2016, 04:16 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,433
Thanks: 361
Thanked 315 Times in 211 Posts
Rep Power: 18174
billt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 92688 View Post
Does anyone here know for a fact that the contents of the tank are needed to cool the pump? How much fuel is needed to perform the cooling? At what humidity and temperature condensation becomes a factor in fuel quality? How much fuel in the tank is sensible to maintain for SOMEONE ELSE for safety and convenience?..............

Not that it is anyone else's concern, but the above is why I run my tank low before filling up. If you are worried about my habits... Too bad... Paul
"The gasoline acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail. The repair could end up costing a couple hundred dollars to fix.... Also if there is dirt in the fuel tank it could lead to blocking the fuel filter, another expensive repair."

Running on empty: Low gas in the tank can be costly

First off, let me make it clear that I couldn't care less what your driving habits are. I'm not trying to convince you to do anything. You can run your new Jeep into a brick wall for all I care. (I mean that literally, not sarcastically). It makes absolutely no difference to me. As you said, it's not my concern. I gave an example in this thread, of a co worker who constantly ran around on an empty tank, and had experienced several costly fuel pump failures as a result.

The mechanic who did several of the fuel pump replacements for him inquired about his fueling habits, and told him to change them. He did and had no further issues. I have come to know others over the years who experienced much the same. (Burning out fuel pumps by constantly running around on empty). Enough to convince me not to do it.

Now, if you don't want to believe that, again I couldn't care less. Perhaps you'll believe this article from Consumer Reports that say's much the same thing. Note the article is from 2011. That's because this is old news most people already know and accept. If you don't, again I couldn't care less. Do whatever the hell you want. All of your tap dancing on a calculator trying to justify it, is not going to change what already is well established fact.

I didn't post what I did to bruise your fragile ego, or spread what you might happen to think is bull$h!t, because it goes against what you do. I did it to help inform others of a potential costly situation that can develop from doing it over time. It's simply common sense that this article, and many others like it support. That is a fact, regardless if you want to believe it or not. I'm not going to do otherwise because it's foolish. It becomes all risk with no reward. You do what you think is best if your time is so very precious.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-11-2016, 03:44 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,088
Thanks: 74
Thanked 292 Times in 256 Posts
Rep Power: 46478
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 92688 View Post
I hope that is sarcastic because I find the sniping between posters here nauseating. Why anyone would get excited over how often SOMEONE ELSE fills up their tank is unfathomable to me.

Does anyone here know for a fact that the contents of the tank are needed to cool the pump? How much fuel is needed to perform the cooling? At what humidity and temperature condensation becomes a factor in fuel quality? How much fuel in the tank is sensible to maintain for SOMEONE ELSE for safety and convenience?

If time weren't so precious I would probably fill up earlier but as it is I go through a lot of fuel, I only fill up when the needle is low.

My Jeep is 372 days old. I have bought 1362.399 gallons of gas. That averages out to 3.66 gallons each day or 25.64 gallons per week. I have bought fuel 76 times or an average of once every 4.9 days. If I filled up at the half way point, I would be buying gas every 2.5 days. I will take my chances with the condensation and since I average 17.9 gallons per tank, I am going to work on the assumption that the average minimum amount of fuel in the tank will act as an adequate heat sink for the last day of driving with a low tank level. As far as condensation, I live in a warm fairly dry climate.
Not that it is anyone else's concern, but the above is why I run my tank low before filling up.

If you are worried about my habits... Too bad... You should report me to the SPCJ and let them handle your concerns...

Paul

EDIT
(Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Jeeps )
Agreed.
It is almost as nauseating as long drawn out complaints about it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lstowell For This Useful Post:
  #58  
Old 10-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 297
Thanks: 65
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 1208
wardo is on a distinguished road
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

I've noticed when the fuel gauge gets close to Europe, that SOB drops fast as hell. Seems like mine is always right at E or slightly below after driving 10-20 miles from the light coming on. Typically eats 22-23 gallons
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-14-2016, 10:28 AM
NetworkTV's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 847
Thanks: 3
Thanked 195 Times in 147 Posts
Rep Power: 12549
NetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
"The gasoline acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail. The repair could end up costing a couple hundred dollars to fix.... Also if there is dirt in the fuel tank it could lead to blocking the fuel filter, another expensive repair."

Running on empty: Low gas in the tank can be costly

First off, let me make it clear that I couldn't care less what your driving habits are. I'm not trying to convince you to do anything. You can run your new Jeep into a brick wall for all I care. (I mean that literally, not sarcastically). It makes absolutely no difference to me. As you said, it's not my concern. I gave an example in this thread, of a co worker who constantly ran around on an empty tank, and had experienced several costly fuel pump failures as a result.

The mechanic who did several of the fuel pump replacements for him inquired about his fueling habits, and told him to change them. He did and had no further issues. I have come to know others over the years who experienced much the same. (Burning out fuel pumps by constantly running around on empty). Enough to convince me not to do it.

Now, if you don't want to believe that, again I couldn't care less. Perhaps you'll believe this article from Consumer Reports that say's much the same thing. Note the article is from 2011. That's because this is old news most people already know and accept. If you don't, again I couldn't care less. Do whatever the hell you want. All of your tap dancing on a calculator trying to justify it, is not going to change what already is well established fact.

I didn't post what I did to bruise your fragile ego, or spread what you might happen to think is bull$h!t, because it goes against what you do. I did it to help inform others of a potential costly situation that can develop from doing it over time. It's simply common sense that this article, and many others like it support. That is a fact, regardless if you want to believe it or not. I'm not going to do otherwise because it's foolish. It becomes all risk with no reward. You do what you think is best if your time is so very precious.
The problem is, you're talking about two different things.

Letting the fuel level go down to when the fuel light comes on is far different than running down to empty. Your clueless co-worker was probably running until the needle actually went below the E mark, which is what high school gets do when they don't have money.

The fuel level light comes on with several gallons left in the tank (just over an 1/8 of a tank), more than enough to protect the fuel pump. You'd have practically to tip the Jeep on its side or put the nose at a rather extreme angle to draw air into the pump. In other words, fill up before you go off-roading, which is probably good advice even without a potential fuel pump issue.

At that point, the only real valid argument is that it isn't enough to get you through a traffic emergency that might stick you in a jam for several hours. However, on a bright sunny day making an interstate run down South, the likelihood is that you'll be fine and there will be a place to fuel up well before you get low enough to run out.

We can all agree on two things:

1) Running out of fuel is bad for any vehicle, especially a fuel injected one.

2) Running to E, or even past E puts you at risk of running out of gas and will uncover the fuel pump. Doing so often can shorten the pump life.

Having said that, running to E or below couple times over the life of the vehicle will likely not hurt the fuel pump in any permanent way unless the pump itself is defective. If it did, millions of college students, high school students and people living check to check would be replacing fuel pumps en-mass. I was one of those kids in high school who was always running with a half a tank or less and often barely making it to the gas pump when I had money to feed it. I have never had a fuel pump fail, but I have only run out of gas once in a car, too. I've run out in my motorcycle a couple times, but it's a gravity feed carbureted system. Once, I actually ran out because I forgot to switch from reserve to main after fueling up (which meant I had no reserve - and fuel gauge to tell me I was low). The other time, I went out after doing some work on it and forgot to turn the fuel switch on. It sputtered and died on me before I could switch it on.

I would suspect your co-worker ran out more than he would care to admit.

The key is to get gas either when the fuel light comes on or (to be safe) before. Don't wait to hit the E mark - and certainly don't allow yourself to run out.
__________________
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat

Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-14-2016, 10:41 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,433
Thanks: 361
Thanked 315 Times in 211 Posts
Rep Power: 18174
billt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How big is a WK2 gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Having said that, running to E or below couple times over the life of the vehicle will likely not hurt the fuel pump in any permanent way unless the pump itself is defective.
I agree.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wk2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
big wheel big problem blakeyAus Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 1 03-15-2015 02:46 AM
Big Rock Also Took Out Gas Tank! ColoradoJeep Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 10-28-2013 10:36 AM
CA91 Gas VS Race Gas Mix ON A WK2 Stock Tune jim383 Tuners/CMR/Dyno/Datalogging/Gauges 8 10-06-2013 07:32 AM
Big Red, not so big anymore... bill38jeep Members Rides 46 10-21-2009 09:02 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.