Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Nvincent4708's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earleville, MD
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 364
Nvincent4708 is on a distinguished road
Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4

After yesterday, I'm quite impressed by my Base '14 GC Laredo 4x4 and it's capabilities. Took it to the C&D Canal levies to drive around and get some pictures with the girlfriend and found some really deep mud / puddles along the way. At one point I thought it might get stuck but the 4 wheel drive popped the thing right out with no issues.

I'm pretty impressed with the all time 4 wheel drive and how it diverts the power.

My question to you is, is it normal that it sounds like the ABS is kicking in or making some other grunting type noise when a few tires are slipping and it is diverting power? Or should I have the dealer check this?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1195
CobraKyle is on a distinguished road
Re: Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4

Thats normal. With the Laredo 4x4 (unless you order ORI or AWG) you get QuadraTracI which is open transfer case and open differentials. The car uses an advanced traction control to limit wheel slip. I believe its called Brake Lock Differential.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Nvincent4708's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earleville, MD
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 364
Nvincent4708 is on a distinguished road
Re: Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraKyle View Post
Thats normal. With the Laredo 4x4 (unless you order ORI or AWG) you get QuadraTracI which is open transfer case and open differentials. The car uses an advanced traction control to limit wheel slip. I believe its called Brake Lock Differential.
Thanks! Well, it seems to work really well. Great gas mileage and usability, I think this won't be my last Jeep.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 3350
kkreit01 has a reputation beyond reputekkreit01 has a reputation beyond reputekkreit01 has a reputation beyond reputekkreit01 has a reputation beyond reputekkreit01 has a reputation beyond reputekkreit01 has a reputation beyond reputekkreit01 has a reputation beyond reputekkreit01 has a reputation beyond reputekkreit01 has a reputation beyond reputekkreit01 has a reputation beyond reputekkreit01 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4

Where are these pics? I agree, that with decent tires (which mine doesn't have), QT1 is capable. Actually, it's the perfect setup for my wife. She can get in and drive, and it's safe in inclement conditions (no buttons to push, etc.).
__________________
2011 Laredo X in White Gold: QT1, V6, Tow Package, Sunroof, Mopar Step Bars/Slush Mats, 20% Tint, Airaid Intake.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Nvincent4708's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earleville, MD
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 364
Nvincent4708 is on a distinguished road
Re: Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
Where are these pics? I agree, that with decent tires (which mine doesn't have), QT1 is capable. Actually, it's the perfect setup for my wife. She can get in and drive, and it's safe in inclement conditions (no buttons to push, etc.).

The girlfriend hasn't sent me the rest to photoshop and such..but here is one I took when I was stopped.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM
bumpinjeep's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 152
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 439
bumpinjeep is on a distinguished road
Re: Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvincent4708 View Post
After yesterday, I'm quite impressed by my Base '14 GC Laredo 4x4 and it's capabilities. Took it to the C&D Canal levies to drive around and get some pictures with the girlfriend and found some really deep mud / puddles along the way. At one point I thought it might get stuck but the 4 wheel drive popped the thing right out with no issues.

I'm pretty impressed with the all time 4 wheel drive and how it diverts the power.

My question to you is, is it normal that it sounds like the ABS is kicking in or making some other grunting type noise when a few tires are slipping and it is diverting power? Or should I have the dealer check this?
Yes, its totally normal. The ABS is limiting wheel spin. If you notice any weird sounds when driving normally then take it in, other than that it sounds like you should be good to go.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee LTD
1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo - Lifted, ARB'd, Mud Terrains, ETC
2007 Nissan 350Z - Volks TAs, coilovers, carbon fiber kitted, yada yada yada
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 759
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 72658
mswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4

Yes that system is great. But I think you need to be careful of over working it.

It great for on demand short bursts of needed traction.

But for a serious continuous demand it's pretty hard on the ABS.

Like going on a sandy beach. Not saying it won't handle it, but it's hard on it.

Sometimes you need to PADDLE your way through and the ABS system isn't good for those situations.

It also has to SLIP BEFORE you get the traction.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Nvincent4708's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earleville, MD
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 364
Nvincent4708 is on a distinguished road
Re: Impressed With The '14 GC 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Yes that system is great. But I think you need to be careful of over working it.

It great for on demand short bursts of needed traction.

But for a serious continuous demand it's pretty hard on the ABS.

Like going on a sandy beach. Not saying it won't handle it, but it's hard on it.

Sometimes you need to PADDLE your way through and the ABS system isn't good for those situations.

It also has to SLIP BEFORE you get the traction.
luckily i didn't push it too much, but it's good to know that it'll get me out of a spot if needed
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Impressed with V6 MPG ajs800 Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts 25 05-10-2012 11:01 AM
Impressed windycityjeep Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 01-26-2012 03:32 PM
Totally Impressed - ncollado Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 8 11-02-2010 07:04 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community