Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 AM
BobsWK2's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,518
Thanks: 3
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 49502
BobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

Just a correction on the X5 with the 6 cylinder engine. It's an inline 6, not a V6. It's also about 300 hp, so it's closer to the GC's V6 in power than the Hemi.
__________________

__________________
2014 Summit 4X4, V8
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-29-2012, 03:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 22317
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFUSION View Post
LOL. Sounds like you're on the BMW team quite frankly.



Not at all. I'm just not a fanboy. The X5 is a terrific SUV with a engine that defies it's numbers to some degree, BUT it's still just a car compared to the Jeep. The Jeep gives up a few points as a road car, but still has great luxury. After that the Jeep walks all over the X5 when the road gets tough. For someone like me, who actually requires what the Jeep can do, the X5 is little better than my Subaru.


Robert B
NY
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-29-2012, 02:36 PM
SW03ES's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,739
Thanks: 14
Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 1303314
SW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

Then fine, compare the Jeep V8 to the comparable X5 3.5 and it's STILL $20k more expensive. Im not making this up, go to bmwusa.com and see for yourself.

If all you want is leather, nav and heated seats then why are you looking at an Overland? Compare to a $38,000 Laredo X. The X5 is $10k more BASE. No leather, no nav, no keyless entry and start. You say trying to make them comaparable in features is silly. Why? I actually look for certain features in a vehicle. So, if I decided I wanted an Overland Summit then it would be because I wanted features and options that model has. If I decided I wanted an X5 then I would still want those features.

Fanboys bug me too, but I'm not being a fanboy. You are saying that the X5 and Overland Summit are close enough in price that it's a non issue, and that is NOT TRUE. it's only true if you don't care about any of the features on the Overland. Just no way around it, the X5 is just a significantly more expensive vehicle.
__________________
~Steve~
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4X4. Maximum Steel w/ Vesuvio Jeep Brown/Indigo Blue. Advanced Tech Pkg.
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum w/ Flaxen. Luxury & Cold Weather Pkg
Previous Jeep: 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X w/Nav, QT1 & Trailer Tow
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 22317
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW03ES View Post
Then fine, compare the Jeep V8 to the comparable X5 3.5 and it's STILL $20k more expensive. Im not making this up, go to bmwusa.com and see for yourself.

If all you want is leather, nav and heated seats then why are you looking at an Overland? Compare to a $38,000 Laredo X. The X5 is $10k more BASE. No leather, no nav, no keyless entry and start. You say trying to make them comaparable in features is silly. Why? I actually look for certain features in a vehicle. So, if I decided I wanted an Overland Summit then it would be because I wanted features and options that model has. If I decided I wanted an X5 then I would still want those features.

Fanboys bug me too, but I'm not being a fanboy. You are saying that the X5 and Overland Summit are close enough in price that it's a non issue, and that is NOT TRUE. it's only true if you don't care about any of the features on the Overland. Just no way around it, the X5 is just a significantly more expensive vehicle.


The X5 does not even offer some of the features the Overland has. Load it up to the gills and it still can't compete as a dual purpose SUV. Bottom line: My friend X5 is nicely equipped and cost under 50K. He looked at the Overland/Summit and found the prices close enough to be a non issue.

You cannot option these SUV's to match as they are VERY different overall. I just had a debate with someone who said that people cross shop between the new 4Runner and the Overland. Again, I drove both of these as well and there is no way the crude 4Runner plays the luxury game with an Overland....or an X5.

Anyway....I'm buying the Jeep!


Robert B
NY
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1026
CFUSION is on a distinguished road
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRB View Post

Anyway....I'm buying the Jeep!


Robert B
NY

You should get the X5. It's almost the same price!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 PM
SW03ES's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,739
Thanks: 14
Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 1303314
SW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRB View Post
My friend X5 is nicely equipped and cost under 50K. He looked at the Overland/Summit and found the prices close enough to be a non issue
NY
Then he shouldnt have been looking at an Overland Summit because, obviously, he doesn't want the features it offers. An X5 under 50k has no more equipment than a Laredo X...Maybe not even.
__________________
~Steve~
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4X4. Maximum Steel w/ Vesuvio Jeep Brown/Indigo Blue. Advanced Tech Pkg.
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum w/ Flaxen. Luxury & Cold Weather Pkg
Previous Jeep: 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X w/Nav, QT1 & Trailer Tow
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-29-2012, 09:55 PM
jgc4ever's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,176
Thanks: 0
Thanked 76 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 1160182
jgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW03ES View Post
Then he shouldnt have been looking at an Overland Summit because, obviously, he doesn't want the features it offers. An X5 under 50k has no more equipment than a Laredo X...Maybe not even.
It's not all about features. I considered the X5 and the Cayenne and got the Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi. Not because of all the features, but for the Nappa Leather, Leather Dash, HIDs, Grill and the overall looks and the 4x4 QTII/Selec-Terrain. Overland $46,000. BMW X5 with leather (no V8, no Nav, no sunroof, no back-up camera, plain rims) $50,000. Cayenne $56,000 with heated steering wheel, V6, heated seats, HIDs but no Nav, no sunroofno back-up camera.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 22317
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW03ES View Post
Then he shouldnt have been looking at an Overland Summit because, obviously, he doesn't want the features it offers. An X5 under 50k has no more equipment than a Laredo X...Maybe not even.


You may want to drive an X5 and see what the feedback at the wheel is like, how it handles and how that engine mated with 8 speeds moves a big SUV so easily. It's not about the equipment. The inherent abilities of the chassis and drivetrain are also key.

My opinion is that the Overland (with it's upscaled appointments and highly sophisticated suspension) is a "class" match for the X5 35i. Certainly my friend thought so. I do not feel that the Laredo X competes.

Allow me to add that when I drove the Overland I fell into the camp of VERY impressed with the air suspension. I found that it "elevated" the platform in real world terms and figurative ones. The ride was on par with the M class Mercedes and in some respects superior to the X5 (though not in handling). So I don't look at a lower end GC as the poor cousin as I would not consider it in most cases. The Overland and Overland Summit are what the GC are all about. So is the SRT8 version. On the other hand BMW has delivered better on their lower end versions of the X5, where it really gives up very little beyond acceleration.

Anyway...I think we're all making the same points, however differently. Mine was simple: If you can afford a well loaded Overland you can probably afford a X5 with a reasonable amount of toys and that nice 3rd row. Also: If you plan to trade in 3-5 years the BMW's resale may make X5 cheaper overall!

Still getting the Jeep because the X5 is just a fat AWD car!


Robert B
NY
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 PM
SW03ES's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,739
Thanks: 14
Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 1303314
SW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc4ever View Post
It's not all about features. I considered the X5 and the Cayenne and got the Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi. Not because of all the features, but for the Nappa Leather, Leather Dash, HIDs, Grill and the overall looks and the 4x4 QTII/Selec-Terrain.
See, that doesn't make sense. Because...you say its not all about features...but then you list the features that made you want to buy the Jeep. HIDs, Selec-Terrain, Nappa leather, leather dash...these things are features

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRB
You may want to drive an X5 and see what the feedback at the wheel is like, how it handles and how that engine mated with 8 speeds moves a big SUV so easily.
I've driven the X5 many times. In fact, I have a colleague with one that I drove just today...its a nice vehicle but I much prefer the Jeep as far as an SUV goes. Even my "poor cousin" Jeep. The X5 doesn't appeal to me at all, on any level. If I wanted a BMW, I'd buy a real BMW 5 series sedan or something.

Quote:
I do not feel that the Laredo X competes...Allow me to add that when I drove the Overland I fell into the camp of VERY impressed with the air suspension. I found that it "elevated" the platform in real world terms and figurative ones. The ride was on par with the M class Mercedes and in some respects superior to the X5 (though not in handling). So I don't look at a lower end GC as the poor cousin as I would not consider it in most cases. The Overland and Overland Summit are what the GC are all about.
I drove the Overland and the Laredo X (obviously). I saw very little difference in on road handling between the vehicle with QD and the Laredo X with the standard suspension. Obviously off road there are benefits, but I had zero interest in QD. Since you said you didn't look at the "poor cousin" I don't see how you can make any legitimate comparisons between the two...because you have no frame of reference. I can tell you that my BMW enthusiast colleague who owns the X5 was impressed enough by my lowly Laredo X to say that she should "stop buying german".

I could buy any GC I want, X5, whatever...but I actually chose beneath my means the Laredo X because it fit what I wanted, I wanted a comfortable, well appointed SUV. I didn't want a luxury car, I have a luxury car. I wanted something with a little utility. Drove the X5 and Mercedes ML...neither of which appealed to me at all. So, don't automatically assume everyone who doesn't have an Overland or Overland Summit "can't afford" the other trims.

As for it being a class match, I would say the appointments in the Overland/Overland Summit are BETTER than what is found on the X5. Funny you say the Laredo X doesn't compete, but the appointments of a Laredo X and a lower end X5 are very similar.

However you slice it, a Jeep is just a step down from a BMW or a Mercedes. Its a highly optioned and loaded out model in the Overland and Summit, but its still like saying a Chrysler 300 competes with a Mercedes E class. Some people might cross shop the two, but it really doesn't compete as the E class is a much more expensive vehicle. Just because you can buy a stripper model E350 for what a loaded 300C costs doesn't make them "equal".
__________________
~Steve~
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4X4. Maximum Steel w/ Vesuvio Jeep Brown/Indigo Blue. Advanced Tech Pkg.
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum w/ Flaxen. Luxury & Cold Weather Pkg
Previous Jeep: 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X w/Nav, QT1 & Trailer Tow
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 PM
jgc4ever's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,176
Thanks: 0
Thanked 76 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 1160182
jgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW03ES View Post
See, that doesn't make sense. Because...you say its not all about features...but then you list the features that made you want to buy the Jeep. HIDs, Selec-Terrain, Nappa leather, leather dash...these things are features
I was trying to explain why I chose the Overland over the Laredo X and also over the Cayenee and X5.

I didn't explain that very well.

I was only able to consider the Cayenne and X5 because I didn't need the costs involved with some of their expensive options such as sunroof, navigation, back up camera, cooled seats, V8 engine (because their non-V8 engines are as fast as the Jeep Hemi), but got the Overland for other reasons and it just happened to have those options which are nice but not the reason I chose the vehicle.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
SW03ES's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,739
Thanks: 14
Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 1303314
SW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

But you have to realize that the Cayenne and X5 you were looking at were truly not comparable to your Overland feature for feature. You were giving up content for them because they are in a different vehicle class than the Jeep...a vehicle you did not have to give up content to purchase.

The analogy I gave of the 300C compared to an E350 or 5 series is perfect. You can option out a 5 series to what a base 7 series costs, but that doesn't mean they are in the same vehicle class.
__________________
~Steve~
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4X4. Maximum Steel w/ Vesuvio Jeep Brown/Indigo Blue. Advanced Tech Pkg.
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum w/ Flaxen. Luxury & Cold Weather Pkg
Previous Jeep: 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X w/Nav, QT1 & Trailer Tow
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 PM
jgc4ever's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,176
Thanks: 0
Thanked 76 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 1160182
jgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Is it Easy being Green?

I know.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil changes - SO easy Captain Slow Tech Tips/DIY/How To 16 09-03-2011 06:10 PM
Mean Green Srt8 g2damax Showoff 23 07-11-2011 07:42 AM
Easy Question ChrisL1976 Grand Cherokee - WK 3 06-15-2011 06:04 PM
jeep green Motteler621 Visual Modifications 28 11-16-2009 09:13 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community