Its the dipstick! On the hemi - Page 8 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #85  
Old 11-13-2015, 08:10 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,348
Thanks: 321
Thanked 263 Times in 183 Posts
Rep Power: 2031
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

Just to keep this kind of oil consumtion in perspective. A modern 2-Stroke outboard motor with variable ratio oiling, (which most all have), runs approximately a 100 to 1 mix at idle..... A Jeep Grand Cherokee has a 26 gallon tank, or 104 quarts. At 20 MPG highway you're looking at around 520 miles. If you are consuming 1 quart per 500 mile tankful in your HEMI Jeep, you are using oil at right around the same ratio a 2-Cycle outboard does pulling away from the dock. Keep in mind, many lakes in the nation are banning 2-Cycle boats and personal watercraft because of how much they pollute.

Now, you must remember as far as hydrocarbon pollution is concerned, 2-Stroke outboard oil is designed to be consumed in the combustion chamber. Automotive grade full synthetic motor oil is not. It will "burn", but with hydrocarbon readings that will peg the meter on any hydrocarbon emissions gage used today.

In short, if your HEMI is burning a quart of oil every 500 miles, (which Chrysler in their infinite wisdom has determined to be "normal"), it will be good for Mosquito abatement and not much else. Because you sure as hell won't be driving it. At least not legally after it's been tested.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #86  
Old 11-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,001
Thanks: 73
Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
Rep Power: 46301
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Just to keep this kind of oil consumtion in perspective. A modern 2-Stroke outboard motor with variable ratio oiling, (which most all have), runs approximately a 100 to 1 mix at idle..... A Jeep Grand Cherokee has a 26 gallon tank, or 104 quarts. At 20 MPG highway you're looking at around 520 miles. If you are consuming 1 quart per 500 mile tankful in your HEMI Jeep, you are using oil at right around the same ratio a 2-Cycle outboard does pulling away from the dock. Keep in mind, many lakes in the nation are banning 2-Cycle boats and personal watercraft because of how much they pollute.

Now, you must remember as far as hydrocarbon pollution is concerned, 2-Stroke outboard oil is designed to be consumed in the combustion chamber. Automotive grade full synthetic motor oil is not. It will "burn", but with hydrocarbon readings that will peg the meter on any hydrocarbon emissions gage used today.

In short, if your HEMI is burning a quart of oil every 500 miles, (which Chrysler in their infinite wisdom has determined to be "normal"), it will be good for Mosquito abatement and not much else. Because you sure as hell won't be driving it. At least not legally after it's been tested.
I hear you, and I personally think that number is just laywerese for "tough luck" but if you were to fail emissions in some highly aggressive states purely due to burning oil, and Mopar were to try to dismiss the warranty issue in this manner, I suspect some headlines might be generated.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 11-13-2015, 03:39 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,348
Thanks: 321
Thanked 263 Times in 183 Posts
Rep Power: 2031
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
I hear you, and I personally think that number is just laywerese for "tough luck" but if you were to fail emissions in some highly aggressive states purely due to burning oil, and Mopar were to try to dismiss the warranty issue in this manner, I suspect some headlines might be generated.
I would sure hope so. On a lighter note, my "AD" suffix dipstick came in this morning, and I picked it up at the dealer. It came wrapped in Mopar paper, taped to a piece of hard, card stock. No bending. I got it home and immediately compared it to the one in the engine, and sure enough, the "AD" dipstick was about a half inch longer than the "AC" suffix dipstick in the engine. When I inserted it and pulled it back out, it showed about 1/2 quart over the "FULL" mark, (the top hole in the stick).

So now I know I've got the proper length dipstick. When I change the oil next time and add 7 quarts, it should bring it right to the "FULL" mark. $17.85 out of pocket, in order to have the proper length dipstick the vehicle should have rolled off the assembly line with. Live and learn.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 11-22-2015, 10:46 AM
CraigZ's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1049
CraigZ is on a distinguished road
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

I had the oil changed in my Jeep and asked about dipstick at dealership. Of course their answer was after a certain amount of miles the truck starts to burn off oil. Checked oil after 1000 miles and it reads a quart low. Guess I'm going to have to purchase dipstick to see if it's oil burn off or short dipstick.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 11-22-2015, 11:01 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,394
Thanks: 259
Thanked 569 Times in 440 Posts
Rep Power: 30373
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigZ View Post
I had the oil changed in my Jeep and asked about dipstick at dealership. Of course their answer was after a certain amount of miles the truck starts to burn off oil. Checked oil after 1000 miles and it reads a quart low. Guess I'm going to have to purchase dipstick to see if it's oil burn off or short dipstick.
The defective dipstick will read 1 quart low when its actually full after adding the specified 7 quarts. What I found is that if you add 1 quart(8 total) to bring it just to the full line the engine will burn off a half quart fairly quickly and then not use anymore. certainly not good and prior to getting the correct dipstick I just had been filling 7.5 quarts which brought it half way into the hashed area. with the new dipstick 7 quarts is right where it should be at the top of the hashed area, mine doesn't use a drop between oil changes. if they wont give you the correct one they are only like $17 to buy them (though you should not have to)
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 11-22-2015, 11:07 AM
CraigZ's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1049
CraigZ is on a distinguished road
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
The defective dipstick will read 1 quart low when its actually full after adding the specified 7 quarts. What I found is that if you add 1 quart(8 total) to bring it just to the full line the engine will burn off a half quart fairly quickly and then not use anymore. certainly not good and prior to getting the correct dipstick I just had been filling 7.5 quarts which brought it half way into the hashed area. with the new dipstick 7 quarts is right where it should be at the top of the hashed area, mine doesn't use a drop between oil changes. if they wont give you the correct one they are only like $17 to buy them (though you should not have to)
Thanks for reply. Just going to purchase dipstick and forget about it.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 11-22-2015, 11:39 AM
New Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: East Coast
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
mroadsters is on a distinguished road
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

Glad I came across this thread. Now I know what my problem is!
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 11-22-2015, 12:00 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,348
Thanks: 321
Thanked 263 Times in 183 Posts
Rep Power: 2031
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

I changed my oil and filter the other day. It didn't really need it, but I didn't like the idea of driving around with it overfilled. With 7 quarts and a new filter, it comes right up to the "FULL" mark on the new "AD" suffix dipstick. (The top hole in the center of the dipstick).

I noticed the oil really took a long time to drain before it started dripping. The oil was 203F when I drained it..... And believe me it felt it when it hit my hand. I wanted to install my new Fumoto Drain Valve, but the valve assembly hits the bottom of the pan. So now I have to buy the extension. I'm wondering if I should install it? It already takes forever for it to drain. If I install the Fumoto Valve, it will take even longer.

Anyway, now the whole thing fills and reads like it should have when I bought it.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 11-22-2015, 01:54 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,394
Thanks: 259
Thanked 569 Times in 440 Posts
Rep Power: 30373
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I changed my oil and filter the other day. It didn't really need it, but I didn't like the idea of driving around with it overfilled. With 7 quarts and a new filter, it comes right up to the "FULL" mark on the new "AD" suffix dipstick. (The top hole in the center of the dipstick).

I noticed the oil really took a long time to drain before it started dripping. The oil was 203F when I drained it..... And believe me it felt it when it hit my hand. I wanted to install my new Fumoto Drain Valve, but the valve assembly hits the bottom of the pan. So now I have to buy the extension. I'm wondering if I should install it? It already takes forever for it to drain. If I install the Fumoto Valve, it will take even longer.

Anyway, now the whole thing fills and reads like it should have when I bought it.
Ive been using the fumoto F106S with the L-001 elbow installed on the 5.7 and a drain line permanently attached. warm the engine and flip the valve and the drain line drops the oil right into your jug ( I use two empty windshield washer jugs.). while that's draining I pull the filter and put the new one on. if the oil is warm it drains fairly quick, by the time I'm done with the filter its mostly finished.
A trick to avoid the mess with the oil filter is use your filter wrench just to break the tightness of the oil filter then take one of those jumbo plastic cups from 7 eleven and put it over the oil filter squeeze it and turn the filter all of the oil mess goes n the cup and filter drops in there when you finish turning. pour off excess into you jug and toss filter and cup in trash. Between the fumoto drain line and the plastic cup its a pretty quick and messless change. I always pull the oil fill cap off before I start not sure if that makes any difference in how fast it drains.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast
Posts: 312
Thanks: 79
Thanked 48 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 16928
Turbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

I set up an appointment for mine to have the dealer do the Uconnect upgrade and showed them the TSB for the dipstick, they ordered a new one and when I dropped off the Jeep for the Uconnecct R4 upgrade for the hacking and also the flash for transmission, key not detected and installed the dipstick.


Got a 05 Magnum for a loaner LOL
__________________
2002 WJ Laredo 4.7 NV242 Inferno Red
2015 WK2 Overland 5.7 Hemi QD2 Deep Cherry Red
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SW FL
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 692
Kduniverse is on a distinguished road
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

Had the AC dipstick in my '11, went to the dealer and told them about the TSB and they changed it. I have the lifetime and I'm second owner.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1797
roastedmalts is on a distinguished road
Re: Its the dipstick! On the hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kduniverse View Post
Had the AC dipstick in my '11, went to the dealer and told them about the TSB and they changed it. I have the lifetime and I'm second owner.
I went in this morning for the auto shut off recall and told them about the tsb, they told me I'm out of standard warranty and I could go ahead and pay the $100 deductible on my lifetime maxcare warranty if I wanted the $22 dipstick.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hemi

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tranny Fluid - Level on Dipstick Martyp Troubleshooting/Problems 2 07-07-2010 01:24 PM
Oil Dipstick Not Going In Shadohc Grand Cherokee - WK 10 06-29-2010 06:55 PM
Dipstick Needs HID Help ALombardi Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 20 03-31-2010 01:00 PM
Auto G/box dipstick tool Dockgreen Troubleshooting/Problems 6 03-30-2010 01:23 PM
Power Steering Pump dipstick sanitarium16 Grand Cherokee - WK 2 02-28-2010 06:16 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.