Originally Posted by Pauls888
I am in the market for a new Grand Cherokee. I would like some opinions about my upcoming purchase. I looked at the Limited and the Altitude.
I live in NYC and wanted to know if it was good enough for the snow that we have for the winter. The Altitude looks great cosmetically. I don't like all the chrome on the limited. However the limited does have the select trac.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Picked up an Altitude in April. I live in Michigan and the snow was already gone. However, multiple people I know have the standard Laredo and has had no issues during heavy snowfall. Here is information found at:
Info Found Here
(Standard on Laredo 4x4 models and Altitude)
The ITC (Integrated Transfer Case, MP2010) is a single-speed transfer case and it is used in Grand Cherokee's new Quadra-Trac I Full-Time 4-Wheel Drive System. It provides convenient full-time 4-wheel drive. The transfer case operates with an open center differential dividing engine torque 50 percent torque to the front axle and 50 of torque to the rear axle. The Brake Traction Control System, which combines standard ABS and Traction Control, provides resistance to any wheel that is slipping to allow additional torque transfer to wheels with traction. The MP2010 single-speed transfer case provides the following benefits:
- No shift lever or driver interaction required.
- Full-time 4-wheel drive provides smooth operation and vehicle stability under all conditions because torque is constantly being transferred.
- Torque distribution provides traction to maintain forward motion under most conditions.
- The Brake Traction Control System (BTCS) works in tandem with full-time 4 wheel drive. BTCS provides resistance to any wheel that is slipping to allow additional torque transfer to wheels with traction.
- Robust design and improved sealing enhance reliability.
- No maintenance required.
(Standard on Limited and Overland 4x4 models)
The Quadra-Trac® II is the MP3023 two-speed, on-demand, active four-wheel drive transfer case that provides optimum traction for a wide range of conditions, while maximizing driver convenience. When operating in 4WD Auto mode, this sophisticated system anticipates and prevents slip by redirecting torque as necessary.
For added traction capability when traversing steep grades, rough terrain or extremely poor traction surfaces, the transfer case includes a 4WD Low mode. This second speed gear multiplies engine torque 2.72 times and locks the clutch pack for maximum traction.
Electric shifting between 4WD AUTO and 4WD Low is effected with a console-mounted switch. A pushpin button is used to shift to Neutral mode.
The MP3023 transfer case provides the following benefits:
- Active, on-demand four-wheel drive requires no driver input.
- Instantly anticipates slip and preemptively redirects torque as needed.
- Vehicle stability under all conditions because torque is constantly being transferred.
- 4WD Low operation mode provides an advantage over vehicles equipped with a single-speed all-wheel drive transfer case.
- Electric shifting between 4WD Auto and 4WD Low provides smooth operation and improved NVH control compared to systems with mechanical linkage.
- Enhanced traction and stability provided by the Traction Control and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) working in tandem with four-wheel-drive.
- A robust design and sealing for reliability.
- A neutral mode permits flat towing.
Transfer case operating ranges are:
- Operating positions: 4WD Auto - N - 4WD Low.
- 4WD Auto = Electronically controlled wet clutch for torque biasing.
- N = Transfer case neutral for 4-wheel flat recreational towing.
- 4WD Low = Low range (2.72:1) part time mode.
- The 4WD Low range is for off road use only. It is not for use on hard surface roads unless the road surface is wet, slippery, or covered by ice and snow.
The low range reduction gear system is operative in 4WD Low range only. This range is for extra pulling power in off road situations. Low range reduction ratio is 2.72:1. Transfer of torque from one wheel to the other on an axle is accomplished by using Brake Traction Control. Under the right conditions the vehicle can be driven by just one wheel.
Selec-Terrain system (Not available on Altitude package)
Allows the driver to choose the on- or off-road driving condition – Sand/Mud, Snow, Rocks, Auto and Sport – to achieve the best possible driving experience on all terrains.