Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 468
HaydenHunter is on a distinguished road
Re: JGC RWD vs 4WD?

Back in November we bought a V6 Limited with Luxury II, Tow, Nav and 20" wheels / tires. Negotiated the dealer down to $41,150, which was about 4.5% below invoice. If you looked for the same car except for leaving off the 20" tires and wheels, you'd be under $40K if you drove the same bargain. Don't care about Nav? Save another chunk of change.

We really love this car...lots of great luxury features including leather, panoramic sunroof, heated / ventilated seats, UConnect 8.4, power liftgate.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,649
Thanks: 41
Thanked 97 Times in 90 Posts
Rep Power: 44186
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JGC RWD vs 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGCOverland View Post
4WD with V8.

The 4WD is a no-brainer. Do you NEED it? Maybe, maybe not, but it will be nice to have, and you are buying a Jeep, after all.

The fuel economy for the V8 is worse than the V6, but not by that much, especially in the real world. It was either Car and Driver or Motortrend that tested both and found the V8 to only get 1 MPG worse than the V6 in their testing. I've driven both the V6 and the V8, and there is a huge difference between the two engines, in my opinion.
I'd definitely take both on extended test drives, as in mountains there is no comparison between the V6 and V8. Flat driving, either powerplant is good up to speeds only legal way out west unless heavily loaded or towing or trying to stop a heavy load--since the V8 and diesel have better brakes.

The V8 in sport mode is just flat fun to drive--and don't be surprised if your missus becomes enamored of it.

1% use of 4WD I'd guess is above the average for 4WD vehicles. However it does help on pretty much any reduced traction surface such as loose gravel, rain, sand, in addition to ice/snow [with non-factory tires]
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Beech Mountain, NC
Posts: 203
Thanks: 13
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 747
2014RedHemiGC is on a distinguished road
Re: JGC RWD vs 4WD?

Yes, the tall gearing in the V8 (1450 rpm @60 mph in 8th) allows for relaxed cruising and ECO mode with the MDS gives surprisingly good mileage on trips. 2800 miles on ours so far and an average of 19 overall.
__________________
2014 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 V8 QD2
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Chevy Corvette Z06/07
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 73213
mswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JGC RWD vs 4WD?

I'd be curious if you test drove a V6 with latest Transmission updates (REV C or greater).

Two completely different Vehicles.

In the OP situation a 2WD V6 might make perfect sense.
I believe you would get an "ABS Soft Locking Diff" in the Rear.

It really depends on the type of boat ramps you'll see and weight of boat.

If it's steep and slimmy or sandy, 4WD is must.

If you will be going to many unknown boat ramps I'd get the 4WD.

If it's nice cement gentle slope and light load, the 2WD drive will be fine.

And tires matter no matter what you get.

Don't Skip the 8.4AN (Factory Nav) it includes the backup camera !!!

Fantastic for backing up to that boat trailer.
__________________
08-10-2014 Limited 3.6L Red W/Black Int, Tow Group IV, 8.4AN Radio, ProClip, OBDLink/Torque, Zeigler Lifetime MaxCare
OEM: Mud Flaps, Matts, Cargo Liner, Cross Rails
UConnect: 13.48.3 TSB: 21-007-13C (Yippy) Tires: OEM/Nokian
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 445
ADGrant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setoutguy View Post
Just FYI I used to run a E30325i with a LSD that was track prepped with 4 winter tires and the only thing that stopped me was the depth of snow. About 10 inches depending on the type of snow was all we could get through. Remember AWD and 4wd dont help you brake or turn. And you can exceed the capabilities of even the best electronic nannies. I dont think the ORAI or ORAII package has that big effect on mpgs. Get waht you want. Its the driver not the vehicle.
Much smaller and lighter car. On a 3 series BMW an argument can be made for RWD with snows. On a 2.5 ton Jeep, it makes absolutely no sense to get a RWD model. If you find yourself driving though snow regularly, get snow tires as well.

That said, I agree that the most important part of the car is the driver. Not driving like an idiot goes a long way in the snow.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 135
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 785
whartung is a glorious beacon of light
Re: JGC RWD vs 4WD?

The V8 in mountains is amazing, I can't speak to the V6 as I have not driven it over terrain. But the 8 is just incredible, it's really nice in the mountains. It just goes with no drama. We have a nice little 40-50 MPH hill by the house, the truck climbs it in 7th. More torque please.

Personally, I will never own another non-AWD/4WD vehicle. I'm not committed enough to trade in my wife's 2WD Fusion, but her next car will be something with AWD. And I live in Sunny So Cal.

In heavy rains, with water in the street, and minor flooding, it matters. It makes a difference.

A friend of mine hydro planed at high speed impacting the center divider (totaling his BMW 5 Series, with his family in the car, but none were injured, thankfully), and I have no proof, but I do believe if it was an AWD, he probably would have held on to it and prevented the event.

The modern cars can do amazing things when there is power available everywhere.

So, that's just me. AWD is like anti-lock brakes for me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 73213
mswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JGC RWD vs 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
The V8 in mountains is amazing, I can't speak to the V6 as I have not driven it over terrain. But the 8 is just incredible, it's really nice in the mountains. It just goes with no drama. We have a nice little 40-50 MPH hill by the house, the truck climbs it in 7th. More torque please.

Personally, I will never own another non-AWD/4WD vehicle. I'm not committed enough to trade in my wife's 2WD Fusion, but her next car will be something with AWD. And I live in Sunny So Cal.

In heavy rains, with water in the street, and minor flooding, it matters. It makes a difference.

A friend of mine hydro planed at high speed impacting the center divider (totaling his BMW 5 Series, with his family in the car, but none were injured, thankfully), and I have no proof, but I do believe if it was an AWD, he probably would have held on to it and prevented the event.

The modern cars can do amazing things when there is power available everywhere.

So, that's just me. AWD is like anti-lock brakes for me.
Highly doubtful AWD would have made an ounce of difference on a Hydro Planning accident.

I personally wouldn't get a RWD anything living in the Northeast.
But if I lived in NC on the beach. Maybe.

Driver #1
Tires #2
Drive System #3

Once your moving it's 99% Driver and Tires.

Occasionally AWD might prevent an accident once moving.

I feel just as safe in my Wifes FWD with Nokian snows as I do in the Jeep on a Blizzard on the Highway. Probably even a little safer. For deep snow, sure, the Jeep wins. But for ice/rain etc. I wouldn't blink taking my wifes FWD. Because it has proper tires for Winter. It's a beast in the snow and ice. As long as it's not too deep to start riding up on it. If I had to swerve hard to say avoid an accident in the snow or a deer jumping in front, I'd rather be in the VW.

Jeep traction doesn't help you if the cars in front get stuck. So as long as you aren't the one causing everyone else to get stuck your about as good as your gonna get. So good snows on any drive system puts you in the top 5% immediately. And just pray the person in front you of makes it up that slippery hill. Because you can have the great system and you'll just get stuck behind the weakest link.
__________________
08-10-2014 Limited 3.6L Red W/Black Int, Tow Group IV, 8.4AN Radio, ProClip, OBDLink/Torque, Zeigler Lifetime MaxCare
OEM: Mud Flaps, Matts, Cargo Liner, Cross Rails
UConnect: 13.48.3 TSB: 21-007-13C (Yippy) Tires: OEM/Nokian
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 445
ADGrant is on a distinguished road
Re: JGC RWD vs 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Highly doubtful AWD would have made an ounce of difference on a Hydro Planning accident.

I personally wouldn't get a RWD anything living in the Northeast.
But if I lived in NC on the beach. Maybe.

Driver #1
Tires #2
Drive System #3

Once your moving it's 99% Driver and Tires.

Occasionally AWD might prevent an accident once moving.

I feel just as safe in my Wifes FWD with Nokian snows as I do in the Jeep on a Blizzard on the Highway. Probably even a little safer. For deep snow, sure, the Jeep wins. But for ice/rain etc. I wouldn't blink taking my wifes FWD. Because it has proper tires for Winter. It's a beast in the snow and ice. As long as it's not too deep to start riding up on it. If I had to swerve hard to say avoid an accident in the snow or a deer jumping in front, I'd rather be in the VW.

Jeep traction doesn't help you if the cars in front get stuck. So as long as you aren't the one causing everyone else to get stuck your about as good as your gonna get. So good snows on any drive system puts you in the top 5% immediately. And just pray the person in front you of makes it up that slippery hill. Because you can have the great system and you'll just get stuck behind the weakest link.
It does snow in NC occasionally, maybe not on the beach though. Problem is it doesn't really snow enough to justify snow tires. Any small car is going to feel more maneuverable in slippery conditions. Its light and has a lower center of gravity. To me a RWD SUV is the worst of both worlds for snow, all the weight and instability without the traction to make the extra ground clearance useful.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 PM
simplewon's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA Kentucky
Posts: 111
Thanks: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 498
simplewon is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: JGC RWD vs 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Highly doubtful AWD would have made an ounce of difference on a Hydro Planning accident.

I personally wouldn't get a RWD anything living in the Northeast.
But if I lived in NC on the beach. Maybe.

Driver #1
Tires #2
Drive System #3

Once your moving it's 99% Driver and Tires.

Occasionally AWD might prevent an accident once moving.

I feel just as safe in my Wifes FWD with Nokian snows as I do in the Jeep on a Blizzard on the Highway. Probably even a little safer. For deep snow, sure, the Jeep wins. But for ice/rain etc. I wouldn't blink taking my wifes FWD. Because it has proper tires for Winter. It's a beast in the snow and ice. As long as it's not too deep to start riding up on it. If I had to swerve hard to say avoid an accident in the snow or a deer jumping in front, I'd rather be in the VW.

Jeep traction doesn't help you if the cars in front get stuck. So as long as you aren't the one causing everyone else to get stuck your about as good as your gonna get. So good snows on any drive system puts you in the top 5% immediately. And just pray the person in front you of makes it up that slippery hill. Because you can have the great system and you'll just get stuck behind the weakest link.

I've had numerious full size jeeps, amc, 360 v8
I've had a 94 gc 5.2 limited
I've had a 06 commander 5.7 limited
I have a 98 gc 5.9 limited.
I have a 2014 SRT Jeep
All all wheel drive

With that being said. I drive fast and know I should not.
AWD has saved me from not one or two accidents but a lot of them.
If your cruising down the interstate right after a flood at 79mph
and pass an 18 wheeler while hitting 4 inches of standing water.
AWD keep you straight as the water slows you down.

I've done a 360 in a front wheel drive mini van and landed in a ditch
hitting 2 inches of standing water at 50 mph

The older jeeps, towing heavy loads and having the front brakes
attached to the rear tires via the drive train is very nice when
too much weight is loaded on the rear of a trailer with no sway bars.

Not to mention driving when on a slick surfaces of any kind.

Drop two tires off the edge of the road at over 40 mph in two wheel drive
vs all wheel drive.

Lots of difference.

Everything should be awd.

Sad my z is not awd but not sad enough to get a hard top g35. They'll put awd on the convertible soon...maybe
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Hitchhiking
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 433
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Setoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JGC RWD vs 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
Much smaller and lighter car. On a 3 series BMW an argument can be made for RWD with snows. On a 2.5 ton Jeep, it makes absolutely no sense to get a RWD model. If you find yourself driving though snow regularly, get snow tires as well.

That said, I agree that the most important part of the car is the driver. Not driving like an idiot goes a long way in the snow.
I also ran with 100lbs of sand in the trunk. Again AWD and 4wd do nothing when you have to stop or turn. I have friends who have 2wd pick ups who run with beds filled with sand or stone. AWd, 4Wd, FWd, and RWD all have their advantages and disadvantages. FWd is great in the snow until you almost get to the top of the hill and the weight distribution shifts and takes the weight off the front wheels. Folks drove in the snow with just RWD for years w/o any problems.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 445
ADGrant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setoutguy View Post
I also ran with 100lbs of sand in the trunk. Again AWD and 4wd do nothing when you have to stop or turn. I have friends who have 2wd pick ups who run with beds filled with sand or stone. AWd, 4Wd, FWd, and RWD all have their advantages and disadvantages. FWd is great in the snow until you almost get to the top of the hill and the weight distribution shifts and takes the weight off the front wheels. Folks drove in the snow with just RWD for years w/o any problems.
I personally would prefer not to cart around a trunk full of sand. I have to say it seems funny to have an argument about the merits of AWD in a Jeep forum. They happen all the time in BMW forums but you would expect that.

The great thing about an AWD vehicle is you can put snow tires on. You can't add AWD to a RWD vehicle. A former coworker of mine had a RWD JGC. He had recently moved to New England from the south. Everyone at work thought it was hilarious.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Yadkin's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yadkin Valley, NC
Posts: 1,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 202404
Yadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JGC RWD vs 4WD?

"Real world" fuel mileage between the 5.7L Hemi and the 3.6L Pentastar is better modeled using EPA figures, not from a magazine article. With the amount of driving I do I'm saving about $100/ month. Add in the cheaper gas, reduced initial cost and maintenance and the savings really adds up.

My weekly route involves serious long mountain grades and the Pentastar handles them nicely.

On top of all that, the lighter engine creates near perfect weight distribution, so it makes for a better handling vehicle all around.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RWD Jeep. Dougisjeep Grand Cherokee - WK 21 08-26-2014 04:28 AM
R/T AWD vs. RWD TKosmo 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 4 03-28-2013 10:04 AM
Traded New JGC For A Newer JGC Brewster Members Rides-Showoff 15 06-08-2012 06:12 PM
Drive.Com.Au 4WD of the Year: JGC :o) Spentan Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 3 11-24-2011 06:06 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.