Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1349
pbm317 is on a distinguished road
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

From Automotive News:

Mercedes-Benz wants to distance its upcoming 2012 M class from the redesigned 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, even though the two vehicles were conceived on the same drawing board before Daimler separated from Chrysler in 2007.
The 2011 Grand Cherokee is built in Detroit and went on sale a year ago. It has played a big part in Chrysler's revival; 2011 sales are up 114 percent through June.
The M class, built in Alabama, goes on sale this summer. The vehicles were conceived at the same time and are similar in dimensions and in wheelbase. But they don't share hardware, said Steve Cannon, vice president of marketing for Mercedes-Benz USA.
"It's not even a question of "separated at birth,'" he said last week at a press introduction in Montana for the 2012 M class. "They were separated before birth."


Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1SVQt6xlm
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 PM
RageOfFury's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,363
Thanks: 97
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 11078
RageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm317 View Post
From Automotive News:

Mercedes-Benz wants to distance its upcoming 2012 M class from the redesigned 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, even though the two vehicles were conceived on the same drawing board before Daimler separated from Chrysler in 2007.
The 2011 Grand Cherokee is built in Detroit and went on sale a year ago. It has played a big part in Chrysler's revival; 2011 sales are up 114 percent through June.
The M class, built in Alabama, goes on sale this summer. The vehicles were conceived at the same time and are similar in dimensions and in wheelbase. But they don't share hardware, said Steve Cannon, vice president of marketing for Mercedes-Benz USA.
"It's not even a question of "separated at birth,'" he said last week at a press introduction in Montana for the 2012 M class. "They were separated before birth."


Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1SVQt6xlm
Lol that is such a blatant lie. Mercedes is trying to distant itself from the WK2 in order to not lose sales to the lower priced WK2. We all know the WK2 and ML are brothers.
__________________

__________________
2011 WK2 Laredo E V6 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1024
javisan23 is on a distinguished road
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfFury View Post
Lol that is such a blatant lie. Mercedes is trying to distant itself from the WK2 in order to not lose sales to the lower priced WK2. We all know the WK2 and ML are brothers.
Agree! This is what marketing people do. Once the new M class is released, they will go on a media tour fooling people with misinformation to justify their high price tag.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Lingohocken's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,185
Thanks: 15
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 3153
Lingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

The ML has a Mercedes badge. We don't need no steenking badges!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 545
Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1881
netcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingohocken View Post
The ML has a Mercedes badge. We don't need no steenking badges!
Wasn't there a big thread about needing steenking "Hemi" badges?
__________________
2011 Overland Summit
Rugged Brown
Off Road Group II
Michelin LTX A/T2
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Smooth1's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1375
Smooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by .moneen. View Post
I'm calling BS on all of this ^^

I'd like to see a Merc dealer give an SL, CL, CLS, SLS, E class, S class as a loaner. Or a 550 in anything for that matter. Youre more likey going to get a C 300. My step dad drives a new S550 4Matic AMG and had an S500 4Matic AMG before that. They are garbage... And you're lucky to get a B class or C class as a loaner, that's after they gouge you for $4000+ on a set of brakes that take a week to get there from Germany and a 2 week wait to get it serviced. MB is overpriced, over engineered and riddled with problems.
So how much do you think the brakes are going to cost on the new SRT?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Baxterdown's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1144
Baxterdown is on a distinguished road
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

We had a 2008 ML350 before the GC. The similarities are unreal! We talk about how similar both SUVs drive and feel all the time.
__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X2, 3.6L V6 (Partner's). Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl, New Saddle / Black Piping, Media Center 730N-RHR.
2011 Ford Explorer Limited FWD. White Platinum Tri-Coat, Light Stone, Rapid Spec 302A, 2nd-Row Bucket Seats, 2nd-Row Console, Dual Panel Moonroof, 20" Polished Wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Bmwister's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 543
Thanks: 11
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1897
Bmwister has a reputation beyond reputeBmwister has a reputation beyond reputeBmwister has a reputation beyond reputeBmwister has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

As a Mercedes customer, I have to say that the new M class looks too much like a Chevrolet Traverse and that issue was bantered about in another thread a while back. I think Chrysler got the better set of genes when they separated from Mercedes and the new M class just leaves me limp.
__________________
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.
---
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Ltd
Silver, Hemi, 20" wheels, minimal doodads.
1st Jeep!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 138
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1424
walterhudson is on a distinguished road
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by javisan23 View Post
Agree! This is what marketing people do. Once the new M class is released, they will go on a media tour fooling people with misinformation to justify their high price tag.
Don't forget that the MB has completely different engines and transmission.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Lingohocken's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,185
Thanks: 15
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 3153
Lingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

MT's initial test of the ML 350 totally omits mention of the GC word, but reader comments jump right on that. Interestingly, a number of commenters insist the WK2 is based on the current, pre-2012 platform which is of course incorrect. Maybe they're just fanboys or misinformed, but perhaps Daimler hasn't exactly been discouraging this buzz in order to make its new baby look more modern.

Interesting that Benz decided to forgo the beefy stuff needed for real offroad use so as, they claim, to lighten the vehicle. (Honest, officer, we didn't do that to cut costs!) Yet, it comes in at the same Chris Christie heft (5,100 pounds) as the Overland which didn't compromise and hauls butt offroad.

It will be interesting to see a real, live bakeoff by credible reviewers. High fives to the '350 for the diesel option and worthy transmission, but those merits will go poof! once the 2013 WK2 hits dealer lots with diesel and the ZF-8 box.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...tic/index.html
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 138
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1424
walterhudson is on a distinguished road
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingohocken View Post
MT's initial test of the ML 350 totally omits mention of the GC word, but reader comments jump right on that. Interestingly, a number of commenters insist the WK2 is based on the current, pre-2012 platform which is of course incorrect. Maybe they're just fanboys or misinformed, but perhaps Daimler hasn't exactly been discouraging this buzz in order to make its new baby look more modern.

Interesting that Benz decided to forgo the beefy stuff needed for real offroad use so as, they claim, to lighten the vehicle. (Honest, officer, we didn't do that to cut costs!) Yet, it comes in at the same Chris Christie heft (5,100 pounds) as the Overland which didn't compromise and hauls butt offroad.

It will be interesting to see a real, live bakeoff by credible reviewers. High fives to the '350 for the diesel option and worthy transmission, but those merits will go poof! once the 2013 WK2 hits dealer lots with diesel and the ZF-8 box.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...tic/index.html


Note the 7.3 sec. 0-60 time, this smokes the GC with the V6 and is even quicker than the hemi!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-21-2011, 02:45 AM
Lingohocken's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,185
Thanks: 15
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 3153
Lingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond reputeLingohocken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Might as well call it a Mercedes Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterhudson View Post
Note the 7.3 sec. 0-60 time, this smokes the GC with the V6 and is even quicker than the hemi!
Three little letters, SRT. How does dust taste with the sauerkraut?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Take a look at our Mercedes cousin! mjw930 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 35 06-15-2011 11:29 PM
Mercedes Shit Knob Idea iJeep Visual Modifications 7 06-03-2009 12:37 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community