I wanted to drop a note to say hello and introduce myself, er, my new to me 2011 Overland.
The Jeep GCs have been on my short list of potential replacements for my 00' Montero Sport. The sport had been with me since new and was the SUV I really wanted back in 2000. At 329k miles (yes, 329k!) it burned no oil, didn't leak, started every day but was worn. Don't get me wrong, it had some issues but it was also maintained. Yes, things went wrong but c'mon, replaced the alternator at 180k, transfer case chain broke and chewed up the TC at about 200k and most recently it needed a CV boot replaced. It had a habit of cracking the passenger side header twice since I owned it and my driver seat pan had cracked (I swapped it with the passenger side).
So the fiancÚ and I go out looking for a car for her and there it was sitting on the used car lot. 2011 Charcoal Gray Overland, black leather, V6, 33k miles. Obligatory drive and no deal on her car so we walked. I got a call the next day from the salesman and we worked a deal on it.
I was honestly looking heavily at 08-09 4 Runners but after driving this Jeep I was impressed.
The V6 is what I wanted. Id love the V8 but would not love the MPG so I knew I would end up in a 6 no matter what I got. It seems stronger than the rental GC I had a couple years ago.
The transmission is smooth. So much so that I rarely ever notice a shift and most times have to watch the tack to see it shift.
The interior is nice. Never thought Id have a loaded anything so this is all plush to me. Im really liking the cooled seats.
One thing Im not liking... having to buy rubber for 20" rims. Holy jeez! (I was looking at the Michelins).
I had the dealer add the chip protection film. I do see value in this as the Montero went through a set of headlights. That in itself is worth it. Note... I drive a lot and rack up mileage that'll make your head spin. Luckily things have mellowed out the last couple years so I don't think it'll be so bad as it was with the Montero.
I do have some questions for you GC veterans...
- I read a lot about different audio systems. Mine has what I think is the 430N but how do I know?
- What are the differences between the different systems?
- I saw a pic of a head unit that has a splash screen that looks like my Garmin Nav... are these head units interchangeable?
- I have two blank spots on my climate control panel. One is for towing. What is the other one for (far right side)?
- I have a tow bar and electrical connections on it. I assume thats not a tow package?
- Whats the diff between the Overland and Overland Summit?
Anyway... Ive had it for a couple weeks now and I feel good about my decision.