New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…) - Page 4 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 08-03-2015, 12:52 PM
overlanding's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,872
Thanks: 1,142
Thanked 359 Times in 301 Posts
Rep Power: 9147
overlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 View Post
That's funny because we just got rid of our '14 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum for that exact opposite reason lol. Even though the captains chairs are great, we have two children in car seats and possibly a third on the way eventually. With both captains chairs taken up with car seats, that pretty much made anyone else going impossible since the third row isn't the best for adults. Then with the third row up we couldn't even load a single stroller in the back. I can seat this setup being good for families that are a bit older and out of car seats, but we ended up buying a new '15 Odyssey touring and my wife absolutely loves it!!!

I cannot agree with you more. 3 row crossovers are basically useless. You either need a suburban or a large van such as the odyssey. I have tried and tried 3 row crossovers. I have two babies and usually haul my inlaws as well. We had an Acura MDX, Explorer Sport, Acadia Denali. The Acadia was probably the best, size wise. But we started with a suburban before all of those crossovers so we were spoiled. Eventually gave up on 3 row vehicles all together. That was in part thanks to some family drama and not wanting anyone to ride with us anymore too lol

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #38  
Old 08-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Jsboening's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 1,164
Thanks: 195
Thanked 288 Times in 221 Posts
Rep Power: 2735
Jsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Toyota Sequoia. We just bought one to haul the family around. I know it's an old design, but it rides nice, has good power, can actually tow something and has a third row that actual adults can fit into. So far we're loving it. Not great gas mileage thou, only averaging 15.5 mpg around town and about 18mpg on the highway.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-03-2015, 02:42 PM
SaintGermain's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Nothingville
Posts: 141
Thanks: 3
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2575
SaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 View Post
Like I said before I still have a hard time believing those numbers. No matter what it would be a close run, but if you haven't already go drive a '14+ with the Hemi and 8spd. It really is fun, sounds awesome, and pulls pretty hard. Try putting it in sport mode and you will be like holy crap!
And the Quadra Drive with the LSD also helps
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #40  
Old 08-03-2015, 02:57 PM
gvass's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 100
Thanks: 61
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 798
gvass is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlanding View Post
I cannot agree with you more. 3 row crossovers are basically useless. You either need a suburban or a large van such as the odyssey. I have tried and tried 3 row crossovers. I have two babies and usually haul my inlaws as well. We had an Acura MDX, Explorer Sport, Acadia Denali. The Acadia was probably the best, size wise. But we started with a suburban before all of those crossovers so we were spoiled. Eventually gave up on 3 row vehicles all together. That was in part thanks to some family drama and not wanting anyone to ride with us anymore too lol
The 3rd row seat in the new Pilot is actually not bad...much better than other "crossovers" that we looked at including the Acadia, and not far from the Odyssey. It would only be used by kids anyway, and the occasional visiting grandparent. My wife just does not want to drive a van anymore and I don't blame her. The new Pilot seems to be aimed at this group.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 110
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 1078
dh650 is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvass View Post
The 3rd row seat in the new Pilot is actually not bad...much better than other "crossovers" that we looked at including the Acadia, and not far from the Odyssey. It would only be used by kids anyway, and the occasional visiting grandparent. My wife just does not want to drive a van anymore and I don't blame her. The new Pilot seems to be aimed at this group.
Exactly. Pretty much every crossover and most full size SUVs have been softened to appeal to "soccer Mom" who has finally said to heck with the minivan!

Over the past year I've looked at nearly every SUV for sale in the U.S including full size, mid size and crossovers. A few have nice looking designs, but the vast majority have been softened so much any guy driving them would have absolutely zero man card left. I wanted to like so many of the vehicles I looked at and tested, but in the end the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit I just took delivery of flat out blew everything else out of the water, or the snow, or the mud!

After seeing the new Pilot online and on TV commercials, I thought about going to look at the Elite in person. But I thought better of it because in the end I know it's just another "soccer Mom mobile" and won't do half of what my new Jeep will do. I have driven 2 Japanese vehicles for the past 22 years (1993 Maxima SE for 12 years, then a 2005 Acura TL for 10 I just traded on the Jeep). I really like the Japanese fit and finish and the service experience, but the new designs they are pumping out are beyond boring. While I do like the 2016 Pilot design better than the box on wheels it replaces, I love my new Summit WAY more!!

Different strokes and the Pilot will have a huge market and will do well. Just look at what happened to the new MDX. I liked the look at first but every single one driving around my area has a Mom in the driver's seat and they all blend in together.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dh650 For This Useful Post:
  #42  
Old 08-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 858
Thanks: 23
Thanked 97 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 3205
Snipe315 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh650 View Post
Exactly. Pretty much every crossover and most full size SUVs have been softened to appeal to "soccer Mom" who has finally said to heck with the minivan!

Over the past year I've looked at nearly every SUV for sale in the U.S including full size, mid size and crossovers. A few have nice looking designs, but the vast majority have been softened so much any guy driving them would have absolutely zero man card left.
I totally agree with you there!

I wanted a mid sized SUV that had good Off Road along with good On Road performance. And I refused to get a "Soccer mom", crossover, or soft roader SUV. That left very few SUVs to choose from.

- Porsche Cayenne
- Range Rover Sport
- Jeep Grand Cherokee

I wasn't going to spend the $80,000+ to get either the Porsche or RR Sport configured the way I wanted. So I purchased my 2015 Overland and so far, so good.

Man Card intact!
__________________
2015 WK2 Overland 4x4 V8, Granite Exterior/Black Interior, ORA II, Advance Tech Package, Rear Seat DVD/Blu-ray
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-04-2015, 06:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 373
Thanks: 11
Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 2681
rszwestko is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

I have the 2014 x5 with the 3rd row and can confirm that it's useless and very uncomfortable both to sit in and get into.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-04-2015, 06:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 373
Thanks: 11
Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 2681
rszwestko is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 View Post
That's funny because we just got rid of our '14 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum for that exact opposite reason lol. Even though the captains chairs are great, we have two children in car seats and possibly a third on the way eventually. With both captains chairs taken up with car seats, that pretty much made anyone else going impossible since the third row isn't the best for adults. Then with the third row up we couldn't even load a single stroller in the back. I can seat this setup being good for families that are a bit older and out of car seats, but we ended up buying a new '15 Odyssey touring and my wife absolutely loves it!!!

My question is how did you agree to the third kid????? I am still trying to win that battle in my household.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-04-2015, 07:38 AM
JTS97Z28's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 3,877
Thanks: 90
Thanked 629 Times in 459 Posts
Rep Power: 28889
JTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszwestko View Post
My question is how did you agree to the third kid????? I am still trying to win that battle in my household.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Lol lets just say I did not agree to the third kid yet. Everytime we have some sort of meltdown from either of our two girls I ask her if she really wants another one. I probably won't win this one though haha. Usually if I give in I can get something out of the deal. Maybe she'll let me get an SRT or something
__________________
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, Bright White, V6, HK audio
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 373
Thanks: 11
Thanked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 2681
rszwestko is on a distinguished road
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 View Post
Lol lets just say I did not agree to the third kid yet. Everytime we have some sort of meltdown from either of our two girls I ask her if she really wants another one. I probably won't win this one though haha. Usually if I give in I can get something out of the deal. Maybe she'll let me get an SRT or something
Yeah I might have to give up my X5 for the 3rd kid, something is backwards here I think I need a drink. I have a boy and a girl and not enough time for both of them, why do I need a 3rd kid, maybe I can justify a Durango?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 AM
f1anatic's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,817
Thanks: 89
Thanked 237 Times in 172 Posts
Rep Power: 160267
f1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe315 View Post
I totally agree with you there!

I wanted a mid sized SUV that had good Off Road along with good On Road performance. And I refused to get a "Soccer mom", crossover, or soft roader SUV. That left very few SUVs to choose from.

- Porsche Cayenne
- Range Rover Sport
- Jeep Grand Cherokee

I wasn't going to spend the $80,000+ to get either the Porsche or RR Sport configured the way I wanted. So I purchased my 2015 Overland and so far, so good.

Man Card intact!
Mate, a Toyota Land Cruiser, a 4Runner or a Lexus GX 460 might be quite a lot more capable off road than your 3 manly choices listed there.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 858
Thanks: 23
Thanked 97 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 3205
Snipe315 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Honda Pilot vs Grand Cherokee (warning…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1anatic View Post
Mate, a Toyota Land Cruiser, a 4Runner or a Lexus GX 460 might be quite a lot more capable off road than your 3 manly choices listed there.
True.

But they aren't very good On Road. All of them feel very much like the trucks they originated from and lack decent On Road manners. Having owned a 2005 4Runner, I looked hard at the current 4Runner along with the other 2 vehicles you mentioned. None of them impressed me with their road handling at all.
__________________
2015 WK2 Overland 4x4 V8, Granite Exterior/Black Interior, ORA II, Advance Tech Package, Rear Seat DVD/Blu-ray
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grand cherokee

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.