Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1420
Garbism is on a distinguished road
New to the snow

I moved to the the East Coast, NYC/NJ area, a few months back from Northern Cal and have never seen so much snow in my life!

First thing i did was trade in my 09 Accord for a 2011 JGC Limited w/ 4x4 and HEMI! Love the ride and style of it and it has helped me get through some tough, snow filled streets already.

Last night I drove home from work in a crazy snow storm. I really had no business driving, nor did anyone else on the road, but I wanted to get home and hey...I HAVE A JEEP!

I was driving carefully but still making my way around the others on the highway. I was very happy with the performance BUT......and it is a big BUT, my front defroster was not working....basically stopped working about halfway home. WTF??? Between the dark, snow and max 10 feet visibility, not having a working defroster made for an interesting ride.

Has anyone else had an issue or can offer a suggestion?

Also curious on drive between Auto and Snow as i could not tell a real difference. During the drive my tire pressure monitor came on showing between 33 and 32 PSI for the tires...maybe due to the cold?

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (503.6 KB, 100 views)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 PM
violant00's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2000 4.0L WJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New york, NY
Posts: 438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2146
violant00 is on a distinguished road
Re: New to the snow

Nice choice in a ride nyc is really getting hit with this snow :/
__________________

__________________
<img src=http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/violant00/IMG_0644-1.jpg border=0 alt= />\


00wj Red genIII projector head lights, K&N CAI. (more coming soon!)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: brOOklyn
Posts: 1,244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2783
JoeSchmoe007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeSchmoe007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to the snow

Can you elaborate how front defroster stopped working? The air stopped blowing from the vents under the windshield? Are you sure your defroster was on (it is not in "Auto" mode)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1420
Garbism is on a distinguished road
Re: New to the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
Can you elaborate how front defroster stopped working? The air stopped blowing from the vents under the windshield? Are you sure your defroster was on (it is not in "Auto" mode)
Was blowing but not working. Was on for sure. Tried different temps and the a/c.
Went from great to only working on the passenger side to nothing!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 318
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1700
Breitling65 is on a distinguished road
Re: New to the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbism View Post
I moved to the the East Coast, NYC/NJ area, a few months back from Northern Cal and have never seen so much snow in my life!

First thing i did was trade in my 09 Accord for a 2011 JGC Limited w/ 4x4 and HEMI! Love the ride and style of it and it has helped me get through some tough, snow filled streets already.

Last night I drove home from work in a crazy snow storm. I really had no business driving, nor did anyone else on the road, but I wanted to get home and hey...I HAVE A JEEP!

I was driving carefully but still making my way around the others on the highway. I was very happy with the performance BUT......and it is a big BUT, my front defroster was not working....basically stopped working about halfway home. WTF??? Between the dark, snow and max 10 feet visibility, not having a working defroster made for an interesting ride.

Has anyone else had an issue or can offer a suggestion?

Also curious on drive between Auto and Snow as i could not tell a real difference. During the drive my tire pressure monitor came on showing between 33 and 32 PSI for the tires...maybe due to the cold?

Any thoughts?

Yes it was horrible yesterday considering resent blizzard and 3-4 light snowfalls after. I would suggest getting good winter tires, just JGC is not enough to deal with this weather.
__________________
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, White
2012 Mercedes Benz C350 coupe, White
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:55 PM
xmonger's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2003 4.7 HO WJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Holmdel, NJ
Posts: 193
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1925
xmonger will become famous soon enough
Re: New to the snow

One possible cause is the air inlets were covered with snow/ice and not allowing fresh air to be drawn into the HVAC system.
__________________
2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1420
Garbism is on a distinguished road
Re: New to the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
One possible cause is the air inlets were covered with snow/ice and not allowing fresh air to be drawn into the HVAC system.
Appreciate the reply as that sounds very valid. Any idea where those are so I can explore deeper?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Archer9's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2007 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Laurentian Mts, Qc, Canada
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1919
Archer9 has a reputation beyond reputeArcher9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
One possible cause is the air inlets were covered with snow/ice and not allowing fresh air to be drawn into the HVAC system.
It would take quite a bit to block the inlets, but if they were blocked I wonder if switching it to recycle would help. Since it's now the day after I guess the question now is: Is it working ok today? If yes, then that would seem to confim xmonger's diagnosis. If it's still kaput I would get it checked out asap because the problem will be somewhere in the HVAC control system.

Btw...I would have to look, but I think one side of the inlet should be shielded by the hood and not be too susceptible to getting restricted.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2926
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbism View Post
Appreciate the reply as that sounds very valid. Any idea where those are so I can explore deeper?
Usually those are on the cowling between the base of the windshield and the hood. May even be under the base of the hood.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 PM
WK2OverlandII's Avatar
Quadra-Drive
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clinton, Co. PA
Posts: 344
Thanks: 60
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1788
WK2OverlandII is on a distinguished road
Re: New to the snow

[QUOTE=Archer9;342969]It would take quite a bit to block the inlets, but if they were blocked I wonder if switching it to recycle would help. Since it's now the day after I guess the question now is: Is it working ok today? If yes, then that would seem to confim xmonger's diagnosis. If it's still kaput I would get it checked out asap because the problem will be somewhere in the HVAC control system.


The front defroster will not work on the recirculation mode…..the light will flash on the recirculation button and then go back to fresh air only…..I wish it would as it seems to push more air in this mode. I would say more than likely the inlets were blocked…IMHO.
__________________
2014 JGC Limited - Granite/Black - 3.0L ECODiesel - LUX II - NAV - Off Road II- Block Heater.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 183
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1600
pbalias has a reputation beyond reputepbalias has a reputation beyond reputepbalias has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbism View Post
...my front defroster was not working....basically stopped working about halfway home. WTF??? Between the dark, snow and max 10 feet visibility, not having a working defroster made for an interesting ride...
Hey man...welcome to the boards. I'm with you, moved up here from SE Texas. Never seen snow in my life, not to mention this much of it. I traded my 2WD Trailblazer for the '11 JGC Limited and love it.

HOWEVER...I have the same issue as you. In fact, my defrost works fine until I put the truck in gear and start driving. Then, the defrost vents dont blow as hard and the blower speed is all kinds of crazy, fluctuating at its own desire. When it does this, the defrost goes to shit. Some people are complaining blower speed is directly related to engine speed too.

There's been quite some discussion about this phenomenon both here: Blower fan intermittent speeds? and on jeepforum . com, WK2 sub forum.

Last weekend I took the truck to the dealer and they confirmed what I thought, they have no fix for it.

I'm not really sure WHAT's going on but it seems A LOT of people are having the issue.

One thing that did help me though, when the defrost is on, make sure the A/C button is on. The A/C compressor dries the air, and it's DRY air not necessarily WARM air that defrosts windows.

This issue HAS to get addressed. It doesn't make logical sense for the HVAC system to intentionally work this way. I don't think the problem is a hard part failure...I have a feeling it's software based. I think tomorrow I'm going to attempt to get the attention of someone at Chrysler corporate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1420
Garbism is on a distinguished road
Re: New to the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbalias View Post
Hey man...welcome to the boards. I'm with you, moved up here from SE Texas. Never seen snow in my life, not to mention this much of it. I traded my 2WD Trailblazer for the '11 JGC Limited and love it.

HOWEVER...I have the same issue as you. In fact, my defrost works fine until I put the truck in gear and start driving. Then, the defrost vents dont blow as hard and the blower speed is all kinds of crazy, fluctuating at its own desire. When it does this, the defrost goes to shit. Some people are complaining blower speed is directly related to engine speed too.

There's been quite some discussion about this phenomenon both here: Blower fan intermittent speeds? and on jeepforum . com, WK2 sub forum.

Last weekend I took the truck to the dealer and they confirmed what I thought, they have no fix for it.

I'm not really sure WHAT's going on but it seems A LOT of people are having the issue.

One thing that did help me though, when the defrost is on, make sure the A/C button is on. The A/C compressor dries the air, and it's DRY air not necessarily WARM air that defrosts windows.

This issue HAS to get addressed. It doesn't make logical sense for the HVAC system to intentionally work this way. I don't think the problem is a hard part failure...I have a feeling it's software based. I think tomorrow I'm going to attempt to get the attention of someone at Chrysler corporate.
Any luck?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow blackpepper Grand Cherokee - WK 26 01-21-2011 02:02 PM
NY Snow Anand Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 15 12-29-2010 08:12 AM
Snow xmonger Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 4 12-13-2010 08:24 PM
We got some snow!! roddaz Cherokee-SJ and XJ 5 11-29-2010 03:32 PM
Snow RyeGuy Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 10 09-10-2010 08:56 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.