Originally Posted by PigNib
I was 99% on board with ordering an overland today until I asked my dealer about this allocation quota thing. I was told that it is true and that they had already ordered their quota so they would not be able to place my order until "around March 10".
I'm not sure why custom orders are not automatically made exceptions.
It didn't help that they only offered me $1000 for my car as a trade-in that has a KBB trade-in value of $2000-$2500.
Would it be rude to order from a different dealership at this point even though they have helped me up until this point?
I would feel guilty but it's not my fault that this policy exists or they didn't hold a few orders back for potential customers..
I also don't understand why no one can search what vehicles are currently slated to be built to see if a certain combination is already in the build queue so that it could be routed to a perspective buyer, or why I can't do a national search of dealer inventory.... I would actually enjoy flying somewhere to pick up a Jeep and drive it home... that would be fun and a good excuse for a vacation.. and honestly not a bad ad campaign IMO
Anyway.... just venting a little bit because I was excited about being an owner yesterday and now I'm just disappointed and second guessing my Jeep decision.
Maybe they are intentionally making me suffer because I wouldn't agree to buy their third-party 7/100 service contract for $2600.
Check around on the forum and you will see that you can get a substantially better deal on an extended warranty (which IMO is a good idea.) From what I've heard, most dealers will match the price you can get from the internet site (grumbling to themselves that they lost their high margin.)
I'm not sure how useful KBB really is - in general it tends to overstate the wholesale value of your trade. However if you are up to the hassle, you'll generally do better selling your vehicle on your own.
I would not feel the slightest bit of guilt walking away from that dealer if they can't place your order until 3/10. OTOH, if you are getting a good deal there (think 1% below invoice like affiliate pricing), maybe it's worth waiting a few days.