Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 12-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 176
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1753
STIX is just really nice
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

I was going to by a Jaguar XF Supercharged.... then I looked at the service record and cost to maintain. Same goes for the LR4.

That's why there's a WK2 overland in my driveway.
__________________

__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4
Dark Charcoal Pearl, Black/Black Interior
Add-ons: Lighted Sill Guards, Chrome Bezels, Shark Fin, LED Licence Plate Lights
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Cperez's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2232
Cperez is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Cperez
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

Not sure if this review has been posted here yet but it is relevant to this thread:

2010 LR4 vs 2011 JGC Overland

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/..._v8/index.html
__________________

__________________
2011 JGC Overland 4x4
Mineral Gray/Black 5.7L Hemi 20" wheels
430n (RHB) Advanced Warning & ACC Group
Sharkfin antenna OEM roof rack/slush & cargo mats
Purchase date: 12.28.10

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvowner View Post
i am a 5th generation jeep owner.......and have generally been happy......in my 2nd overland......but all the delays in features is frustrating......esp all the nav and i phone 4 issues......

since i have the cash, why shouldn't i just get a landrover LR4 ??
That's a good question. The only reason I can think of is the reliability factor. Historically, Land Rovers are on the low end of the reliability ladder. Jeeps aren't exactly stellar, but they are a bit higher on the ladder.

There's a nice comparison article in the October 2010 issue of Motor Trend that puts a WK2 Overland up against an LR4 HSE. The Land Rover costs about $10K more than the Jeep, but Motor Trend declares the Land Rover worth the extra money because it brings "more capability, more luxury, and more comfort" They also say it "performs better on- and off-road, tows more, and has a nicer cabin." I'm not sure about the nicer cabin part, but it sure seems that the LR4 stacks up very well against the Jeep.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 AM
xmonger's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2003 4.7 HO WJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Holmdel, NJ
Posts: 193
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1954
xmonger will become famous soon enough
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
That's a good question. The only reason I can think of is the reliability factor. Historically, Land Rovers are on the low end of the reliability ladder. Jeeps aren't exactly stellar, but they are a bit higher on the ladder.

There's a nice comparison article in the October 2010 issue of Motor Trend that puts a WK2 Overland up against an LR4 HSE. The Land Rover costs about $10K more than the Jeep, but Motor Trend declares the Land Rover worth the extra money because it brings "more capability, more luxury, and more comfort" They also say it "performs better on- and off-road, tows more, and has a nicer cabin." I'm not sure about the nicer cabin part, but it sure seems that the LR4 stacks up very well against the Jeep.

IMHO, the LR4 has a rear end only a mother could love. I wouldn't take it over the WK2 if it was 10k less. Now the Range Rover Sports on the other hand, they are good looking vehicles. My brother has owned one for a little over a year with no issues. They are spendy for what you get. If they were priced closer to WK2 territory I might be conflicted. The supercharged version definitely has some bollocks.
__________________
2003 WJ Overland 4.7 HO
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
IMHO, the LR4 has a rear end only a mother could love. I wouldn't take it over the WK2 if it was 10k less. Now the Range Rover Sports on the other hand, they are good looking vehicles. My brother has owned one for a little over a year with no issues. They are spendy for what you get. If they were priced closer to WK2 territory I might be conflicted. The supercharged version definitely has some bollocks.
I love the looks of the Range Rover Sport. But I also like the looks of the LR3/4 as well. The LR4 has some funky looking clear lens taillights (the LR3's looked better, IMO), but it still looks really good on black paint. I always liked the blocky/square look SUVs, so maybe that's why I like the LR3/4 styling so much. It reminds me of the Jeep Commander from the rear, which is another vehicle that I really like the styling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Cperez's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2232
Cperez is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Cperez
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
IMHO, the LR4 has a rear end only a mother could love. I wouldn't take it over the WK2 if it was 10k less. Now the Range Rover Sports on the other hand, they are good looking vehicles. My brother has owned one for a little over a year with no issues. They are spendy for what you get. If they were priced closer to WK2 territory I might be conflicted. The supercharged version definitely has some bollocks.
Personally I would have a big-time dilemma if these two vehicles (LR4 and WK2) were comparable in price as currently equipped. I say this as a person who has owned 3 Jeeps and recently had a full size and trouble-free Range Rover HSE.

But even then I am pretty sure I would tip toward the WK2 for a variety of reasons, not all of them quantitative. And the fact is that these two vehicles are NOT comparable in sticker price and probably not in long term cost of ownership, either.
__________________
2011 JGC Overland 4x4
Mineral Gray/Black 5.7L Hemi 20" wheels
430n (RHB) Advanced Warning & ACC Group
Sharkfin antenna OEM roof rack/slush & cargo mats
Purchase date: 12.28.10

Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Repo503's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2234
Repo503 is on a distinguished road
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCA View Post
I love the looks of the Range Rover Sport. But I also like the looks of the LR3/4 as well. The LR4 has some funky looking clear lens taillights (the LR3's looked better, IMO), but it still looks really good on black paint. I always liked the blocky/square look SUVs, so maybe that's why I like the LR3/4 styling so much. It reminds me of the Jeep Commander from the rear, which is another vehicle that I really like the styling.
Agreed about that styling...I wish they would build a new Commander on the wk2 platform. My favorite SUV of all time is the Merc Gelandewagen but I just can't justify dropping 100k on a part time driving...at least not at this point in my life.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 876
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
MSCA is on a distinguished road
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo503 View Post
Agreed about that styling...I wish they would build a new Commander on the wk2 platform. My favorite SUV of all time is the Merc Gelandewagen but I just can't justify dropping 100k on a part time driving...at least not at this point in my life.
Yeah, I was disappointed that Jeep killed off the Commander. I love the blocky styling and it would have been great to make a new generation on the WK2 platform. Then again, the Commander built on the WK2 platform would probably steal sales from the Grand Cherokee, although I think that happened during the entire production run for the Commander anyway.

The G-wagon is awesome and is probably the ultimate in boxy-styling SUVs. Extremely capable too..... it's just too bad it's so damn expensive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-20-2010, 11:51 AM
defiant's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1622
defiant is on a distinguished road
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

Run. Away. Fast. From the LR's. Unless you love the local dealer's waiting room.

I used to work the service dpt for a LR dealer for many years. I loved the vehicles for the off-road readiness. I loved most of the clients for their understanding of everything British. (not the posuer rich folks though - they were a real pain) I even owned a '97 Defender 90 set up for off-road fun. That being said - if a LR isn't leaking oil of some sort - it's out of it. For me, since I worked at the dealer, this wasn't an issue. For our clients - the routine & multiple visits to us were usually not appreciated.

Now, as a plus, LR dealers do have fresh baked cookies & off-road themed events for the owners.

Regards,
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Scottina06's Avatar
JeepGarage Founder
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 49,498
Thanks: 885
Thanked 1,096 Times in 751 Posts
Rep Power: 7718445
Scottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

my wifes boss' LR4 is in Louisville right now for the last week with problems. Its under warranty...but she got rid of the lr3 for an lr4 becasue the lr3 was in the garage so much. The bad thing for her is....the louisville dealer is 2.5 hours away......LOL
__________________
SCOTT
The HARDER you work...the LUCKIER you are!
2014 REDLINE red Jeep SRT "BLOODIED\BlackOps CFR Edition" 1 of 1
2013 JKU Wrangler 10A-stormtrooper'ed, JW Speaker and more!
Previous JEEP rides-
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-deep cherry
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-inferno red



Twitter-The_Jeep_Guy
Instagram-thejeep_guy

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Repo503's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2234
Repo503 is on a distinguished road
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottina06 View Post
my wifes boss' LR4 is in Louisville right now for the last week with problems. Its under warranty...but she got rid of the lr3 for an lr4 becasue the lr3 was in the garage so much. The bad thing for her is....the louisville dealer is 2.5 hours away......LOL
Yeah I would have the same problem now, nearest LR dealer is 3 1/2 hours away in ideal conditions with no traffic.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Scottina06's Avatar
JeepGarage Founder
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 49,498
Thanks: 885
Thanked 1,096 Times in 751 Posts
Rep Power: 7718445
Scottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: overland delays makes LR4 appealing?

they did send a flatbed this time....LOL
__________________

__________________
SCOTT
The HARDER you work...the LUCKIER you are!
2014 REDLINE red Jeep SRT "BLOODIED\BlackOps CFR Edition" 1 of 1
2013 JKU Wrangler 10A-stormtrooper'ed, JW Speaker and more!
Previous JEEP rides-
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-deep cherry
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-inferno red



Twitter-The_Jeep_Guy
Instagram-thejeep_guy

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WK2 VS LR4 and 4 Runner in Motor Trend jeepster23 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 72 08-12-2010 09:48 AM
Who makes the gauge panel? Mike_Levy Grand Cherokee - WK 3 03-12-2010 04:33 PM
this makes no sense!1 99limited Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 28 12-25-2009 12:00 PM
Temporary Delays...... FlyinRyan Flyin' Ryan Performance 7 11-06-2009 03:29 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.