Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 35
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 291
The Outrage is on a distinguished road
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Here is a listing of the pricing differences between the Grand Cherokee Overland and Summit trim levels when equipped in the most similar manner.

An Overland V6 with the Advanced Technology Group is $49,185. A Summit V6 is $52,190. This represents a price difference of $3,005.

An Overland V8 with the Advanced Technology Group and Quadra-Drive II 4WD System is $53,175. A Summit V8 is $55,885. This represents a price difference of $2,710.

An Overland EcoDiesel with the Advanced Technology Group and Quadra-Drive II 4WD System is $54,480. A Summit EcoDiesel is $57,190. This represents a price difference of $2,710.

Summit interior differences (Overland interior differences shown in parentheses):
  • Natura leather seating surfaces (Nappa leather seating surfaces)
  • Alcantara roof liner (Standard roof lining)
  • Open pore wood trim (Gloss wood trim)
  • 19 speaker sound system (9 speaker sound system)
Summit exterior differences (Overland exterior differences shown in parentheses):
  • Adaptive HID lighting (Standard HID lighting)
  • Headlight washers (Not available)
  • Front parking sensors (Not available)
  • Chrome mesh grille inserts (Black mesh grille inserts)
  • Unique front and rear bumper covers (Body colored front and rear bumper covers)
  • Unique rocker skirts (Body colored rocker skirts)
  • Unique fender trim (Body colored fender trim)
  • Unique trapezoidal exhaust tips (Standard round exhaust tips)
  • Split five-spoke polished 20" wheels (Five-spoke polished and painted 20" wheels)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 1,863
Thanks: 283
Thanked 87 Times in 70 Posts
Rep Power: 4869
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
Hmm that's weird I have only seen the bronze in Summits. I sure hope the Overland I'm about to order comes with the silver (frost beige interior)
The "standard" silverish trim in the JGC has a gold/bronze hue to it, just like it has in previous model years. Don't confuse that with the exclusive copper trim in the Summit with the Jeep Brown interior. That's a totally different color. It seems to be unclear if the "silver-silver" trim that was available with certain black interiors is still offered; some say yea, and some say nay. I haven't been at my dealer's place for over a year, so I haven't even looked at the MY14 interiors on the lot. (I use an independent service provider for maintenance other than warranty)
__________________

__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Nitto NT421Q "shoes"



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Jeff_H2O's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 273
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 325086
Jeff_H2O has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_H2O has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_H2O has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_H2O has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_H2O has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_H2O has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_H2O has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_H2O has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_H2O has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_H2O has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_H2O has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
Summit interior differences (Overland interior differences shown in parentheses):
  • Natura leather seating surfaces (Nappa leather seating surfaces)
  • Alcantara roof liner (Standard roof lining)
  • Open pore wood trim (Gloss wood trim)
  • 19 speaker sound system (9 speaker sound system)
Summit exterior differences (Overland exterior differences shown in parentheses):
  • Adaptive HID lighting (Standard HID lighting)
  • Headlight washers (Not available)
  • Front parking sensors (Not available)
  • Chrome mesh grille inserts (Black mesh grille inserts)
  • Unique front and rear bumper covers (Body colored front and rear bumper covers)
  • Unique rocker skirts (Body colored rocker skirts)
  • Unique fender trim (Body colored fender trim)
  • Unique trapezoidal exhaust tips (Standard round exhaust tips)
  • Split five-spoke polished 20" wheels (Five-spoke polished and painted 20" wheels)
From owning an Overland and thoroughly test driving a Summit. Here's my thoughts on this when comparing the Overland with the Summit... My thoughts in BLUE BOLD.

Exclaimer: These are just my personal opinions, don't bash me if not the same as yours
  • Natura leather seating surfaces (Nappa leather seating surfaces)
    Little to no noticeable difference (maybe better wear over time?)
  • Alcantara roof liner (Standard roof lining)
    Didn't even notice until I read it was there, who looks up that much??
  • Open pore wood trim (Gloss wood trim)
    My wife actually thought the gloss trim looked better and more up class, the open poor can be dull looking, no shine. I tend to agree with her.
  • 19 speaker sound system (9 speaker sound system)
    As I noted in previous post, not a distinguishable amount of difference in sound quality. I actually felt the bass was better in the Alpine system. HK maybe offered more of a crisper/clearer sound, but not enough to reign it superior over the Alpine system.

Summit exterior differences (Overland exterior differences shown in parentheses):
  • Adaptive HID lighting (Standard HID lighting)
    Didn't test drive at night, so not sure how much impact this has. But don't think it would of been that big of a deal.
  • Headlight washers (Not available)
    Just what I want, is water to spray and splatter all over my grill to only dry and leave water spots everywhere. Do headlights really need these?? I've never seen a headlight so dirty that the headlight wouldn't luminate properly. my 2 cents on that.
  • Front parking sensors (Not available)
    This would be nice to have! Especially in parking garages. +1 for Summit.
  • Chrome mesh grille inserts (Black mesh grille inserts)
    These look nice as well, especially on darker model vehicles like Black and Granite. +1 for Summit.
  • Unique front and rear bumper covers (Body colored front and rear bumper covers)
    I like the Overlands better, think the front chrome facia with tow hooks looks much more upscale (and rugged at the sametime) then the plane curved chrome facia the Summit has.
  • Unique rocker skirts (Body colored rocker skirts)
    Just thicker on the Summit, not much difference.
  • Unique fender trim (Body colored fender trim)
    Just thicker on the Summit, not much difference
  • Unique trapezoidal exhaust tips (Standard round exhaust tips)
    I do like the trapezoidal tips compared to the basic round tips. +1 for Summit.
  • Split five-spoke polished 20" wheels (Five-spoke polished and painted 20" wheels)
    As a majority have already stated, the Overland 20"s look better.
In conclusion, to me, there are only 3 small details that I liked better in the Summit over the Overland. So wasn't enough for me to make the price jump.
__________________
2014 JGC Overland, Maximum Steel V6 4x4, Black Interior
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 PM
PhillyAnt's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 158
Thanks: 35
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1544
PhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Im an audio guy and one of my deciding factors in going for the Summit was the HK system. Bring an iPod or iPhone with you and hook it up and you will experience sound that is incredible. The Alpine system came no where close. It all depends on how important that is to you. I love everything about the Summit.
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit w/hemi in Granite Crystal (3/14 build date)

Want to drop some LBs? I can help you. Seriously! Watch my video in the link and then message me if you want to learn more

http://youtu.be/2f13kCFux0s

Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay Village, OH
Posts: 990
Thanks: 10
Thanked 70 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 1795
14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute14SummitHemi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyAnt View Post
Im an audio guy and one of my deciding factors in going for the Summit was the HK system. Bring an iPod or iPhone with you and hook it up and you will experience sound that is incredible. The Alpine system came no where close. It all depends on how important that is to you. I love everything about the Summit.
I agree, no comparison. The difference is not how loud they crank and how much bass you feel. It's in how efficient and clean the amp is in pushing crisp clear sound down low. The HK system can be played at a low enough volume that you can still converse in the car but still hear and feel the music especially bass driving down low and crisp treble. The Alpine not so much. You kind of have to pick one or the other, IMHO. Is it talk time or stereo time. From the comments I am pi$$ing in the wind but we all have our hot buttons. The HK system just has an extra dimension of dynamic range over the Alpine. Actually, it is so good, to PhillyAnt's point, that I had a problem with normal mp3 files. CD's are about 1/10 the audio quality of mint condition vinyl with a great stylus. MP3 files, the ones you download or normally rip from CD, are 1/10 the quality of a CD. When you play an MP3 file on a iPod or your home stereo (depending on it's quality) it sounds pretty good. Play that same file on the HK and it will sound flat because normal MP3 rippers just chop off the highs and lows with little sampling to get file size down and it really neuters the original dynamic range. Ask any musician, they hate what MP3 has done to their music from a puristic standpoint. Now use a high quality ripper that produces a 10-30MB file per song vs the usual 1-4MB and play it on the HK. You will hear the other dimension I am speaking of.

Eh, to each his own so long as it fits your needs and tastes.

Off topic but PhillyAnt u have latest build. What's your Navteq map date? Go under .Controls/Settings and scroll all the way down to System Info and under Map Database it will say ...2012Q4.... or maybe even a 2013 date but I doubt it...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM
canistel's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 68
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 333
canistel is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyAnt View Post
Im an audio guy and one of my deciding factors in going for the Summit was the HK system. Bring an iPod or iPhone with you and hook it up and you will experience sound that is incredible. The Alpine system came no where close. It all depends on how important that is to you. I love everything about the Summit.
I don't get this If your playing audio through an ipod or iphone then who really cares what radio you use? No offense, but it's all going to sound like junk. Car audio systems are not worth agonizing over, just put your music on and drive. There is no way you're going to get anything close to nice sound out of any car audio system. HK, Bose, Alpine, it's all junk (mp3's and compression with artifacts, class d amps, cheap speakers, interior reflections, no bass traps etc etc). Why even worry about it, lol. High end audio will never be present in a car.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-02-2014, 05:41 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,238
Thanks: 40
Thanked 93 Times in 74 Posts
Rep Power: 2381
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14SummitHemi View Post
I agree, no comparison. The difference is not how loud they crank and how much bass you feel. It's in how efficient and clean the amp is in pushing crisp clear sound down low. The HK system can be played at a low enough volume that you can still converse in the car but still hear and feel the music especially bass driving down low and crisp treble. The Alpine not so much. You kind of have to pick one or the other, IMHO. Is it talk time or stereo time. From the comments I am pi$$ing in the wind but we all have our hot buttons. The HK system just has an extra dimension of dynamic range over the Alpine. Actually, it is so good, to PhillyAnt's point, that I had a problem with normal mp3 files. CD's are about 1/10 the audio quality of mint condition vinyl with a great stylus. MP3 files, the ones you download or normally rip from CD, are 1/10 the quality of a CD. When you play an MP3 file on a iPod or your home stereo (depending on it's quality) it sounds pretty good. Play that same file on the HK and it will sound flat because normal MP3 rippers just chop off the highs and lows with little sampling to get file size down and it really neuters the original dynamic range. Ask any musician, they hate what MP3 has done to their music from a puristic standpoint. Now use a high quality ripper that produces a 10-30MB file per song vs the usual 1-4MB and play it on the HK. You will hear the other dimension I am speaking of.

Eh, to each his own so long as it fits your needs and tastes.

Off topic but PhillyAnt u have latest build. What's your Navteq map date? Go under .Controls/Settings and scroll all the way down to System Info and under Map Database it will say ...2012Q4.... or maybe even a 2013 date but I doubt it...
Agree having a quality sound file makes a huge difference when making comparisons. many people just compare listening to XM and XM is the absolute worst sound you can get with all the compression it sounds just plain terrible on any stereo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:03 PM
PhillyAnt's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 158
Thanks: 35
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1544
PhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
I don't get this If your playing audio through an ipod or iphone then who really cares what radio you use? No offense, but it's all going to sound like junk. Car audio systems are not worth agonizing over, just put your music on and drive. There is no way you're going to get anything close to nice sound out of any car audio system. HK, Bose, Alpine, it's all junk (mp3's and compression with artifacts, class d amps, cheap speakers, interior reflections, no bass traps etc etc). Why even worry about it, lol. High end audio will never be present in a car.
I know the difference between audio file types as I have worked in the industry for about 20 years. I just used iPod/iPhone as a quick example. I have to completely disagree with your opinion on this. Just because the audio quality of a sound system in a car might not ever match the quality you would get at home or in a studio, it doesn't mean that all the audio systems in a car will be junk. There is a huge difference between the Alpine and the HK in the Jeep. Car audio systems might not be worth agonizing over for you, but for me, and plenty of other people out there, it is. We might just have to agree to disagree, but I think you are completely wrong with your view on the audio quality of all vehicles. We can still be friends though
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit w/hemi in Granite Crystal (3/14 build date)

Want to drop some LBs? I can help you. Seriously! Watch my video in the link and then message me if you want to learn more

http://youtu.be/2f13kCFux0s

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 PM
PhillyAnt's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 158
Thanks: 35
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1544
PhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond reputePhillyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14SummitHemi View Post

Off topic but PhillyAnt u have latest build. What's your Navteq map date? Go under .Controls/Settings and scroll all the way down to System Info and under Map Database it will say ...2012Q4.... or maybe even a 2013 date but I doubt it...
It's still the older version 2012Q4
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit w/hemi in Granite Crystal (3/14 build date)

Want to drop some LBs? I can help you. Seriously! Watch my video in the link and then message me if you want to learn more

http://youtu.be/2f13kCFux0s

Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 40
Thanks: 10
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 284
TullyMN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H2O View Post
[*]Headlight washers (Not available) Just what I want, is water to spray and splatter all over my grill to only dry and leave water spots everywhere. Do headlights really need these?? I've never seen a headlight so dirty that the headlight wouldn't luminate properly. my 2 cents on that.
They make a difference in a MN winter. Though not as much now with the new headlamps.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:19 PM
BobsWK2's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,562
Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 49669
BobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBobsWK2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc4ever View Post
2011-2013 Overland Summit wheels aren't chrome, they're polished.
Thanks for the correction. My neighbor had a 2012 Summit and he definitely had chrome Summit wheels. But he probably got those after he got the vehicle.
__________________
2014 Summit 4X4, V8
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Rumline's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 260
Thanks: 67
Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 1437
Rumline has a reputation beyond reputeRumline has a reputation beyond reputeRumline has a reputation beyond reputeRumline has a reputation beyond reputeRumline has a reputation beyond reputeRumline has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overland looks better than Summit for 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
Don't confuse that with the exclusive copper trim in the Summit with the Jeep Brown interior. That's a totally different color.
Yep that's what I was thinking of. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
poll: 20" Wheels on 2014 Overland vs. 2014 Summit jgc4ever Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 14 08-18-2013 12:17 AM
2014 SUMMIT ORDERED 2/20/2013,,NOW FOR THE WAIT! :: 2014 Jeep Cherokee Summit RUIDOSO JAMES Member Garage Discussions 4 03-20-2013 02:32 PM
2014 CRD Overland or Summit h2obuff Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 1 03-06-2013 08:05 AM
2014 Overland vs. Summit Spec list rovinrail Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 12 02-18-2013 02:24 PM
Summit now or wait for 2014 Overland? mjodotcom Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 58 09-17-2012 11:53 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.