Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 07-27-2014, 09:51 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1263
HaydenHunter is on a distinguished road
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1233 View Post
In auto mode it didn't feel as sure footed in snow and ice; however, once I used the selecterrain dial and switched to snow it did just as well...
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

The snow setting makes all the difference in the world when driving in the white stuff with my wife's 2014 JGC Limited. Very sure footed and the kind of traction she is used to with our old '97 JGC.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HaydenHunter For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 07-27-2014, 10:17 AM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,649
Thanks: 663
Thanked 632 Times in 519 Posts
Rep Power: 10702
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHunter View Post
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

The snow setting makes all the difference in the world when driving in the white stuff with my wife's 2014 JGC Limited. Very sure footed and the kind of traction she is used to with our old '97 JGC.

I don't disagree with you.

I worry though that people will start relying too much on the electronic driving features to the point that they become more of a crutch than an aid. They're still no substitute for knowing how a vehicle handles and the proper driving techniques for the road conditions a person's driving on.

That's not directed towards you, your wife or anyone else on the forum, it's just a general feeling that electronic features give to me. They have their pluses and minuses... I guess I'm just more old school when it comes to driving.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4858.png
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDBones For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM
GCLimited's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,191
Thanks: 14
Thanked 81 Times in 60 Posts
Rep Power: 52077
GCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

My old 2014 V6 Limited 4x4 with the QT II performed flawlessly last Winter, and my current 2014 V6 Overland 4x4 with QT II regularly reads about 21.4 mpg or better on the console display (mostly city & rural roads, with little highway), and I haven't even made the switch to synthetic oil yet.

For me, to get the V8 just so I can have the QD II system would have been a waste of money. I don't plan on taking my GC off road, and it might see a light trailer only a couple times in it's life...so the V6 was the logical choice for me, and running the cheaper regular gas opposed to the V8's 89 octane is a bonus savings!

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GCLimited For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 AM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,649
Thanks: 663
Thanked 632 Times in 519 Posts
Rep Power: 10702
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLimited View Post
My old 2014 V6 Limited 4x4 with the QT II performed flawlessly last Winter, and my current 2014 V6 Overland 4x4 with QT II regularly reads about 21.4 mpg or better on the console display (mostly city & rural roads, with little highway), and I haven't even made the switch to synthetic oil yet.

For me, to get the V8 just so I can have the QD II system would have been a waste of money. I don't plan on taking my GC off road, and it might see a light trailer only a couple times in it's life...so the V6 was the logical choice for me, and running the cheaper regular gas opposed to the V8's 89 octane is a bonus savings!

Pretty much the same for me.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4858.png
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 74
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1532
kirk1233 is on a distinguished road
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

Honestly though most people aren't good at driving in slippery conditions. In most places these conditions are rare enough that you don't get enough practice. If technology can keep people safer we should embrace it...

I find myself putting it in snow mode even in heavy rain. It seems to prevent feelings of hydroplaning as well. (I also slow down, I don't use the capabilities as an excuse to drive too fast for conditions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBones View Post
I don't disagree with you.

I worry though that people will start relying too much on the electronic driving features to the point that they become more of a crutch than an aid. They're still no substitute for knowing how a vehicle handles and the proper driving techniques for the road conditions a person's driving on.

That's not directed towards you, your wife or anyone else on the forum, it's just a general feeling that electronic features give to me. They have their pluses and minuses... I guess I'm just more old school when it comes to driving.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 AM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,649
Thanks: 663
Thanked 632 Times in 519 Posts
Rep Power: 10702
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1233 View Post
Honestly though most people aren't good at driving in slippery conditions. In most places these conditions are rare enough that you don't get enough practice. If technology can keep people safer we should embrace it...
I agree with that and that would be one of the pluses. I never said it shouldn't be embraced, just that it shouldn't become a crutch.



Came back to add something...

As you can see from my location, snow and ice are no strangers to me. LOL... and that's true for everyone else in this region. Yet, when the weather is bad you'll always find vehicles in the ditch. 9 out of 10 are AWD/4WD SUV's and trucks.

It's as if people think that because they have AWD/4WD they can drive like the roads are dry. AWD/4WD in this case is being used as a crutch, not as an aid. What makes it worse is that these people have grown up in this area and have driven in these conditions since they got their DL's. There's nothing for them to "get used to." It's like riding a bike, yanno?

So it's not just people living in regions that rarely experience bad weather conditions... it still happens to those who do live in these regions.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4858.png
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Zhe Wiz's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central NY - Ithaca
Posts: 644
Thanks: 164
Thanked 113 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 16760
Zhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBones View Post
Yet, when the weather is bad you'll always find vehicles in the ditch. 9 out of 10 are AWD/4WD SUV's and trucks.
...and 9 out of 10 of those 9 out of 10 have "all season" tires on. AWD IS NO SUBSTITUTE for snow tires. Especially because our Jeeps weigh 2.5 tons, we stop no better than a 2WD vehicle. The number of people even here in upstate ny that do not switch to proper winter tires astounds me.

I just sold my FIL's AWD RAV4 recently. I asked the couple that bought it if they wanted to buy the snow tires I had for it as well. Their response? "Why, does it need them? We never use snow tires on 4WD vehicles."

So typical, unfortunately. I see it here on Jeep Garage too. In most cases I'd rather drive a FWD with snows in slippery conditions than AWD w/o.
__________________
Zhe Wiz

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 PM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,649
Thanks: 663
Thanked 632 Times in 519 Posts
Rep Power: 10702
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

LOL... all season tires in winter goes right along with using AWD/4WD as a crutch. If they can't use it intelligently then one can't expect them to be any smarter with their tires.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4858.png
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-27-2014, 01:41 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,534
Thanks: 724
Thanked 1,038 Times in 811 Posts
Rep Power: 1805277
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhe Wiz View Post
...and 9 out of 10 of those 9 out of 10 have "all season" tires on. AWD IS NO SUBSTITUTE for snow tires. Especially because our Jeeps weigh 2.5 tons, we stop no better than a 2WD vehicle. The number of people even here in upstate ny that do not switch to proper winter tires astounds me.

I just sold my FIL's AWD RAV4 recently. I asked the couple that bought it if they wanted to buy the snow tires I had for it as well. Their response? "Why, does it need them? We never use snow tires on 4WD vehicles."

So typical, unfortunately. I see it here on Jeep Garage too. In most cases I'd rather drive a FWD with snows in slippery conditions than AWD w/o.

Where are these statistics coming from? I've never checked the tires when I see a car in a ditch, even when I stop to help.


___
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-27-2014, 03:11 PM
f1anatic's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,760
Thanks: 82
Thanked 215 Times in 155 Posts
Rep Power: 160086
f1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

and why are we talking snow and ice driving which is only ... One facet of the original discussion / question.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Zhe Wiz's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Central NY - Ithaca
Posts: 644
Thanks: 164
Thanked 113 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 16760
Zhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond reputeZhe Wiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Where are these statistics coming from? I've never checked the tires when I see a car in a ditch, even when I stop to help.
85% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Do you disagree with my points? Statistics wasn't it.
__________________
Zhe Wiz

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-27-2014, 03:46 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,534
Thanks: 724
Thanked 1,038 Times in 811 Posts
Rep Power: 1805277
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quadra-Drive II vs Quadra-Track II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhe Wiz View Post
85% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Do you disagree with my points? Statistics wasn't it.
When I worked as an adjuster, in NY, we were writing lots of estimates on everything after a snow storm. The first day there might have been more reports on SUVs, because they were the first to venture out. But, once everyone got back on the road there was no discernible bias toward SUVs getting into trouble. The biggest problem, as always, wasn't the tires nor the drivetrain, it was the loose nut behind the wheel. None of the adjusters I worked with used winter tires.

I went with the Quadra-Drive for beach driving. I doubt it was necessary as I've driven other vehicles (Ford, Chevy, and Jeep) in the sand for years without issue. But, I figured it couldn't hurt. It handles the soft sand of ocean beaches as easily as it handles the highway.


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bill_de For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quadra Drive II - drive to front wheels lt4vette Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 6 11-10-2013 03:26 PM
Front Drive shaft GC 07 quadra drive Arabex Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 3 04-17-2013 08:49 PM
Grand Cherokee 2012 Quadra Track 2 3.6l Power Line Track teye Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 09-24-2012 08:23 AM
Quadra Drive: =All Wheel Drive? THEPRFCT10 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 26 01-17-2011 05:37 PM
Quadra Trac II or Quadra Drive ll CasAce Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 3 05-18-2010 02:46 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.