Question about Tread Lightly - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 04-17-2014, 11:01 PM
GCOverland's Avatar
Jeep Addict
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 102
Thanked 99 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 4163
GCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsi jeep View Post
It is not very important who pays for it as soon as it is not me. At the end of the day Chrysler and dealer are still making money. I am sure for sponsoring TL they are getting tax break or else. Most important is to make your best deal with the dealer and then apply the TL discount. My Jeep was special order so dealer has had more room to negotiate probably due to the fact that truck left his lot very next day after arriving there. They are getting hold back, advertising $ and much more. Friend of mine works for Chrysler and he has 10% employe discount off invoice, so you can imagine what the profit margin is for Chrysler......
Yeah - I also don't really care who's paying for it in the end. I just thought that knowing how it works might come in handy once you are crunching the numbers in the office of the finance-manager - after all, knowledge is power and the worst thing that can happen to you when buying/leasing a car is being in a position where you have to depend on what the dealer is telling you.

The first thing the SA told me when it came to pricing was that since the GC is in high demand, they would "sell almost every vehicle at MSRP" - I guess you get what I'm trying to say..

So I was able to do some research on TL and it seems that the dealer actually gets 2% off invoice through the program which supports the opinion that 1% off invoice through TL should be the starting point for negotiations with plenty of room for a better deal.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 04-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 4,922
Thanks: 918
Thanked 744 Times in 586 Posts
Rep Power: 112877
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

Dealers who participate in the Chrysler affiliate program do benefit when folks buy using their affiliate benefits. The buyer gets a guaranteed 1% off invoice price (sometimes can be negotiated lower) plus any available factory incentives. The dealer gets an additional 2% off invoice to compensate them for the 1% discount to the consumer. (Note there is a $75 program fee that the buyer pays when they use the affiliate discount)

This is win-win, IMHO. I used this discount when I bought my Summit in July 2012. I didn't know about any "group buys" back then and my local dealer isn't prone to "Great deals" without prodding. There was no discussion when I asked for the affiliate discount and provided the credentials.

And yes, once you are in the affiliate program, you can use the benefit twice per year.
__________________
2012 GC Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus "shoes" - LED fogs and DRLs



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food, Photography
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 229
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 5370
dsi jeep has a reputation beyond reputedsi jeep has a reputation beyond reputedsi jeep has a reputation beyond reputedsi jeep has a reputation beyond reputedsi jeep has a reputation beyond reputedsi jeep has a reputation beyond reputedsi jeep has a reputation beyond reputedsi jeep has a reputation beyond reputedsi jeep has a reputation beyond reputedsi jeep has a reputation beyond reputedsi jeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

Quote:
The first thing the SA told me when it came to pricing was that since the GC is in high demand, they would "sell almost every vehicle at MSRP" - I guess you get what I'm trying to say..
Walk away from this dealer. E-mail to all dealers around your area and ask them how much under invoice they will sell and wait. After you make a deal then mention the TL discount to get extra -1% from the deal you have already made. DO NOT go in person to the dealers. Most likely you will not get good deal. Wait to be close to the end of the month or better end of the quarter when talking to the dealers. Dealer I've purchased was about hour away and very first time I saw him in person was at the time of pick-up.
You should be able to get at least 3% under invoice before TL discount.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #16  
Old 04-18-2014, 11:08 PM
GCOverland's Avatar
Jeep Addict
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 102
Thanked 99 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 4163
GCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsi jeep View Post
Walk away from this dealer. E-mail to all dealers around your area and ask them how much under invoice they will sell and wait. After you make a deal then mention the TL discount to get extra -1% from the deal you have already made. DO NOT go in person to the dealers. Most likely you will not get good deal. Wait to be close to the end of the month or better end of the quarter when talking to the dealers. Dealer I've purchased was about hour away and very first time I saw him in person was at the time of pick-up.
You should be able to get at least 3% under invoice before TL discount.
Thanks for the advice.

Frankly, I don't blame the SA for this remark. It's their job to sell a car for as much as possible and it's my job to educate myself to pay as little as necessary. That's just how this business works. Would I try the same if I would be a SA? Heck, yeah...

The other dealership in my area didn't want to provide me with a brochure because "it was too expensive to hand out to customers". At the dealership I went to two days ago, the manager gave me his only copy he had in his desk. Call me crazy - but this made a difference to me.

I've yet to meet a SA asking me how much below invoice I'd like to pay so I don't care that much about it. It was more important to me that we had a nice and rather long conversation about the vehicle and that he offered me a test-drive which I gladly accepted.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 PM
GCOverland's Avatar
Jeep Addict
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 102
Thanked 99 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 4163
GCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
Dealers who participate in the Chrysler affiliate program do benefit when folks buy using their affiliate benefits. The buyer gets a guaranteed 1% off invoice price (sometimes can be negotiated lower) plus any available factory incentives. The dealer gets an additional 2% off invoice to compensate them for the 1% discount to the consumer. (Note there is a $75 program fee that the buyer pays when they use the affiliate discount)
Thanks, Jim! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

So as of today, the invoice on the Summit I'd be looking at is $55,846. If I'm getting this right, the dealer would be getting $1,097 (2%) as a result of TL.

Considering that, I'd say I'm not asking too much if I'm aiming for 4% below invoice. After all, I'm also looking at some additional accessories (skid-plates etc.) worth about $1,000 which I would be willing to buy at full MSRP if the dealer installs them for free.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-18-2014, 11:33 PM
Dan JGC's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,724
Thanks: 50
Thanked 242 Times in 180 Posts
Rep Power: 6568
Dan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCOverland View Post
Thanks, Jim! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

So as of today, the invoice on the Summit I'd be looking at is $55,846. If I'm getting this right, the dealer would be getting $1,097 (2%) as a result of TL.

Considering that, I'd say I'm not asking too much if I'm aiming for 4% below invoice. After all, I'm also looking at some additional accessories (skid-plates etc.) worth about $1,000 which I would be willing to buy at full MSRP if the dealer installs them for free.
Seriously, just do the Texas or DC buyers group.....so hassle free. The only issue though is they may have installed the front license plate bracket if that is a concern for you or not (two small holes that can be filed in which were dimples in the bumper before being drilled into). Heck, Nader was nice, I got friends in DC and the autotrain back was fun I'd do it again if you'd pay my way....LOL But then how would I get back from Tampa?
__________________
||||||| 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 V8 in Bright White Clear Coat exterior with Grand Canyon Jeep Brown interior. |||||||
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-19-2014, 12:10 AM
GCOverland's Avatar
Jeep Addict
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 102
Thanked 99 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 4163
GCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan JGC View Post
Seriously, just do the Texas or DC buyers group.....so hassle free. The only issue though is they may have installed the front license plate bracket if that is a concern for you or not (two small holes that can be filed in which were dimples in the bumper before being drilled into). Heck, Nader was nice, I got friends in DC and the autotrain back was fun I'd do it again if you'd pay my way....LOL But then how would I get back from Tampa?
By plane?

I just checked and autotrain would be about $350. I was surprised that a one-way flight from Tampa to DC only runs about $100 - so this might be an option.

I think I'll contact Nader and ask for a lease-quote when it's time to order. I'll take that number to my local dealer and IF he can match it, he gets my business. If not....DC, here I come..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-19-2014, 12:52 AM
Dan JGC's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,724
Thanks: 50
Thanked 242 Times in 180 Posts
Rep Power: 6568
Dan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCOverland View Post
By plane?

I just checked and autotrain would be about $350. I was surprised that a one-way flight from Tampa to DC only runs about $100 - so this might be an option.

I think I'll contact Nader and ask for a lease-quote when it's time to order. I'll take that number to my local dealer and IF he can match it, he gets my business. If not....DC, here I come..
I did the auto train back for $426 (vehicle plus roomette in sleeper car - recommend getting a sleeper.....even better the room with private bathroom and tons of space if price is right). North coming south is cheap since the demand is south running north as snowbirds go back home. I couldn't get anyone to match Koons Jeep (or come close enough) in South Florida. Autotrain is only 20 miles from Koons Jeep...and was a fun experience. You could do it all in one day if you fly up early enough and let Nader know you need to be out the door in 30 minutes so have all the paperwork ready (talk to the finance/paperwork guy so he will be ready). You MUST be at the train station no later than 3:00 pm to load cars .... they make that a huge point. Of course you can get there earlier and as long as the train is there boarding starts at 2:30 pm. Of interest, you can only ride the auto train if you have a vehicle --- no passengers only and no vehicles only --- must be both a passenger and a vehicle.

You do know that 2014 GC's can no longer be ordered as the order banks closed on 4/18 so maybe Koons Jeep will have what you want in stock or on order.
__________________
||||||| 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 V8 in Bright White Clear Coat exterior with Grand Canyon Jeep Brown interior. |||||||
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-19-2014, 01:02 AM
GCOverland's Avatar
Jeep Addict
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 102
Thanked 99 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 4163
GCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan JGC View Post
I did the auto train back for $426 (vehicle plus roomette in sleeper car - recommend getting a sleeper.....even better the room with private bathroom and tons of space if price is right). North coming south is cheap since the demand is south running north as snowbirds go back home. I couldn't get anyone to match Koons Jeep (or come close enough) in South Florida. Autotrain is only 20 miles from Koons Jeep...and was a fun experience. You could do it all in one day if you fly up early enough and let Nader know you need to be out the door in 30 minutes so have all the paperwork ready (talk to the finance/paperwork guy so he will be ready).
In my case, it would be a bit more complicated because I'd probably have to run the autotrain up north as well because I have a trade-in - so travel-expenses would would be at least $1K (or in other words, about 2% off invoice). Considering that fact, I wouldn't save that much at 7% below if my local dealer could offer me 4%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan JGC View Post
You do know that 2014 GC's can no longer be ordered as the order banks closed on 4/18 so maybe Koons Jeep will have what you want in stock or on order.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out though. I'm looking at a late August order for a late October delivery - so certainly MY15. I'll join TL in June.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 4,922
Thanks: 918
Thanked 744 Times in 586 Posts
Rep Power: 112877
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

FYI, it's been reported that while the deal at Koons for a buy is spectacular, their lease rates are "less attractive". Keep that in mind. You may want to consider financing conventionally as a buy...where rates are very low.
__________________
2012 GC Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus "shoes" - LED fogs and DRLs



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food, Photography
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-19-2014, 04:09 PM
GCOverland's Avatar
Jeep Addict
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 1,524
Thanks: 102
Thanked 99 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 4163
GCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
FYI, it's been reported that while the deal at Koons for a buy is spectacular, their lease rates are "less attractive". Keep that in mind. You may want to consider financing conventionally as a buy...where rates are very low.
Thanks for letting me know! I'll obtain a quote from my credit-union prior to signing any lease so if the lease is not attractive enough, I can still go ahead and finance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chrysler Affiliate Reward Code Needed! (e.g. Tread Lightly) jkrtiger Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 7 04-08-2013 01:02 PM
Tread Lightly Discount, available to family members? NHman Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 06-19-2011 07:16 PM
Tread Lightly Questions morecowbell Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 98 02-22-2011 01:28 PM
Slight change with Tread Lightly AP offer swampass2 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 1 02-18-2011 10:48 AM
Tread Lightly? Bradmo8 New Members - Welcome! 7 01-05-2011 07:37 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.