Rustproofing - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 08-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1287
epGTO60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rustproofing

From my family's experience living in the snow belt in Ohio and rust proofing cars, it actually tends to do the opposite. After 8+ years you end up with bad rust because the rust proofing ends up trapping moisture against the metal which eventually turns into rust and progress quickly to rotting out panels. My family used to get the rust proofing reapplied every year but it can never completely seal everything so it doesn't work. It tends to hide what is really going on underneath.

My family has not used rustproofing since our 99 GC and our vehicles have lasted a lot longer without rust. My family tries to keeps each vehicle for 15 to 20+ years so we have seen the difference.

With the way the manufacturers treat the bodies at the factory with anti-corrosion dips and such, you are better off relying on that and keeping the underside clean. As others have said, periodic car washes with chassis baths during salt season and then an extra good cleaning after salt season goes a long way.

__________________
2014 WK2 5.7L Limited
1999 WJ 4.0L Laredo
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 08-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 2306
My1stJGC is on a distinguished road
Re: Rustproofing

Here for $32.00 a month you can get unlimited car washes so in winter I try to go every day to keep the salt off. First nice day of spring where I can hand wash I spray the underside down.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-16-2014, 08:59 PM
maxy9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 765
Thanks: 75
Thanked 76 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 2458
maxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rustproofing

I live right next to the ocean I just buy electronic rust proofing for my car , the initial cost to buying and fitting it is about $400 but I can take it off and put it on the next car I buy it comes with a 10 yr warranty and I already put it on my new car which is the SRT . I like it and the tech sounds solid to me


iPad @ JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malden MA
Posts: 57
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1795
PeterM is on a distinguished road
Re: Rustproofing

Electronic rustproofing??? What's that. How do you/they apply it? How do you take it off one vehicle and re-apply it to another? I notice your in Australia but here in the states electronic rustproofing is unheard of. At least I've never heard of it and I purchased four cars in the last four years for myself and family members. No one ever tried to sell me electronic rustproofing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-17-2014, 12:39 AM
maxy9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 765
Thanks: 75
Thanked 76 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 2458
maxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rustproofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Electronic rustproofing??? What's that. How do you/they apply it? How do you take it off one vehicle and re-apply it to another? I notice your in Australia but here in the states electronic rustproofing is unheard of. At least I've never heard of it and I purchased four cars in the last four years for myself and family members. No one ever tried to sell me electronic rustproofing.

It's where they attach an electronic box to your car and it's power source comes from the battery and they connect random wires to the body of your car inside your engine bay and it shoots electronic current around your whole car including every joint on your car . I can't explain the tech side of it very well but I have been using on my cars for about 10yrs and no rust ?

Here some links you can read there's plenty on google and I'm sure you can get anywhere in the world ..

http://www.erps.com.au

https://www.catsystemsaustralia.com.au

http://corrosion-doctors.org/Car/car...ronic-rust.htm

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index....st-protection/

Wow looks like I should have done me homework after reading the bottom 2 links , hmm will have to investigate now lol , but I've been using this on my cars for 10 yrs and no probs that I have seen ,interesting . Well there's plenty of info on google but I see it's been banned in the USA ..



iPad @ JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-17-2014, 01:00 AM
jeelo's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 145
Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 3139
jeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Rustproofing

Shifty,

I see you're located in Ottawa (I'm in Toronto) and I know Ottawa gets hit with some nasty winter storms and if Ottawa is just like Toronto, they throw down salt and dirt everywhere!

I use krown but I don't go every year (it's just a waste of money to do it every year). I do it every other year. The salt will just eat and corrode away at the vehicle if you don't keep it clean. I like the krown to ease my mind and help prevent the corroding. If you're like me and drive in the salt filled streets in the winter then park it in a warmer spot like your home garage and work underground garage, this makes it the perfect combo (from cold to warm environments) for the salt to eat away.

Like everyone else says, keep the Jeep clean (I go to drive-thru "no touch" car washes with the under body blast) every 3-4 days to keep the salt off. But as you know that can get pricey doing it all the time considering the car washes cost $10-$15 unless you get Petro Canada's Car wash season pass. This is why I get the added security of getting my Jeep Krown'd every other year.

In the spring make sure you give it a good clean. What I like to do in the spring is stick my sprinkler under my vehicles and leave it there for a good 5-10 minutes to give it a good rinse.
__________________
'12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Pentastar
'08 Jeep Patriot North Edition FDI 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Shifty's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada
Posts: 77
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2362
Shifty is on a distinguished road
Re: Rustproofing

I used Krown on my last GC which was applied every year for the four years that I kept it before trading for my current one. I think the only reason I had it applied every year was to maintain their price guarantee and warranty. I checked and their current cost of application for a full size SUV is $129.95. It was $124.94 when I had the first application on my 2011 in October 2010. I don't know how long I will keep my 2014 as I am a senior and am cautious of buying green bananas and long playing records but an application every two years makes a lot of sense because the cost increase is negligible and I have never heard of anyone collecting on a Krown warranty.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 AM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,592
Thanks: 630
Thanked 613 Times in 503 Posts
Rep Power: 10616
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Rustproofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by epGTO60 View Post
From my family's experience living in the snow belt in Ohio and rust proofing cars, it actually tends to do the opposite. After 8+ years you end up with bad rust because the rust proofing ends up trapping moisture against the metal which eventually turns into rust and progress quickly to rotting out panels. My family used to get the rust proofing reapplied every year but it can never completely seal everything so it doesn't work. It tends to hide what is really going on underneath.

My family has not used rustproofing since our 99 GC and our vehicles have lasted a lot longer without rust. My family tries to keeps each vehicle for 15 to 20+ years so we have seen the difference.

With the way the manufacturers treat the bodies at the factory with anti-corrosion dips and such, you are better off relying on that and keeping the underside clean. As others have said, periodic car washes with chassis baths during salt season and then an extra good cleaning after salt season goes a long way.
I'm not familiar with the type of rustproofing that needs to be reapplied every year. To me, that sounds like a wax based product. I'd have to question how effective that type really is.

The stuff I had applied to my vehicles was a black, tar-like petroleum based product... kind of like what Ziebart used in the 80-90's. There were 2 kinds of this type of rustproofing... one that dried like paint and the other that stayed tar-like and tacky. I used the one that dried. The only way that stuff would trap moisture against metal was if someone was stupid enough to apply it when the vehicle was wet.

That stuff wasn't cheap to have professionally applied... it was in the range of $500 back then. It stood up perfectly to anything thrown up underneath the vehicle. Never had any problems with rust starting anywhere.

Rustproofing is only as good as the guy who's applying it. Anyone can run a spraygun. It takes attention to detail to ensure that all the seams, nooks and crannies are covered properly.

Like I said several posts back, I haven't had rustproofing applied to my last couple of vehicles and the only place I would recommend it on a new vehicle today would be inside the doors because that's not an area that you can easily get into to clean.

My 02 went through 12 winters worth of road salt. The underside stayed remarkably rust free but I started having trouble with rust breaking out along the bottom seams of both rear doors... from the inside out.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4289.png
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Malden MA
Posts: 57
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1795
PeterM is on a distinguished road
Re: Rustproofing

No wonder I've never heard of electronic rustproofing. We'll it was interesting reading.
I understand the theory behind the process but if it really worked North America would have rustproofing shops everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Red G8R's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 935
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 3347
Red G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rustproofing

I was once told by Toyota that by doing an aftermarket rustproofing it voids Toyota's rustproof manufacture's warranty and now covered by the aftermarket company.
__________________
Peter
2011 GC Overland, 4x4, 5.7L, Q-L, 730N, White/Beige. :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1287
epGTO60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rustproofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBones View Post
I'm not familiar with the type of rustproofing that needs to be reapplied every year. To me, that sounds like a wax based product. I'd have to question how effective that type really is.

The stuff I had applied to my vehicles was a black, tar-like petroleum based product... kind of like what Ziebart used in the 80-90's. There were 2 kinds of this type of rustproofing... one that dried like paint and the other that stayed tar-like and tacky. I used the one that dried. The only way that stuff would trap moisture against metal was if someone was stupid enough to apply it when the vehicle was wet.

That stuff wasn't cheap to have professionally applied... it was in the range of $500 back then. It stood up perfectly to anything thrown up underneath the vehicle. Never had any problems with rust starting anywhere.

Rustproofing is only as good as the guy who's applying it. Anyone can run a spraygun. It takes attention to detail to ensure that all the seams, nooks and crannies are covered properly.

Like I said several posts back, I haven't had rustproofing applied to my last couple of vehicles and the only place I would recommend it on a new vehicle today would be inside the doors because that's not an area that you can easily get into to clean.

My 02 went through 12 winters worth of road salt. The underside stayed remarkably rust free but I started having trouble with rust breaking out along the bottom seams of both rear doors... from the inside out.
Zeibart is what my family used and it was the black stuff, nothing waxed based. They wanted the vehicle back every year for "touch ups" in order to keep your rustproofing warranty valid. Moisture always gets under the rustproofing. I've watched it happen on 6 of my families vehicles and after 10 to 15 years rust developed in at least one place that was so bad the metal under the rustproofing was completely rotten. You only see it when it's so rotten that it's pealing away the rustproofing. Every vehicle Zeibart bought out the warranty because covering the repair was too expensive. There is a reason most of those places have gone out of business.

My uncle has been in the auto body business for 40 years and he has seen a lot. He strongly advises against that type of rustproofing. It's better to just keep it clean. He has several 15+ year old vehicles that were never rustproofed and they don't have rust issues due to him keeping them clean after salt exposure.

I actually have to start replacing sections of the floor in my 99 WJ because of the rustproofing. Despite always cleaning the underside a few places have rotted and rust has broken through the rustproofing. My parent's neighbors also have a 99 WJ that was never rustproofed and has been subject to the same conditions (salt exposure and cleaning) and the floor on theirs is perfect.

Based on my experience I highly recommend not using that type of rustproofing.

I've heard that really old Ford that used a positive ground electrical system resisted rust really well. I assume the electronic type rustproofing system are trying to replicate the rust resisting effects of that.
__________________
2014 WK2 5.7L Limited
1999 WJ 4.0L Laredo
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-25-2014, 05:34 PM
nielboy's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ancaster, Ontario
Posts: 248
Thanks: 14
Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 1142
nielboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Rustproofing

You're in Ottawa so I'd just go to Canadian Tire & buy a can of Corrosion Free & DIY.
Corrosion Free: Rustproofing at its Best!

That's what I've done the last few vehicles I've had & it's worked out quite well.
Corrosion Free is similar to Krown & RustCheck, but doesn't drip all over the place.

I've used both Krown & RustCheck in the past & both worked well but left me with a big mess in my driveway.

I agree with those posting that vehicles nowadays are much more rust resistant. My DIY of the Corrosion Free is just a bit extra protection.

I spray the door hinges, door lips where it's bent under the door frame, & same lip type areas where body panels bend & meet others like under the hood & truck. I also spray the trailer hitch as it'll rust in a month if not treated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rustproofing suggestions TJXJWJ Tech Tips/DIY/How to 9 04-12-2012 07:53 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.