Service Interval Scams - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:03 AM
tmw1582's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orland Park, IL
Posts: 122
Thanks: 9
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 2208
tmw1582 is on a distinguished road
Service Interval Scams

Does Chrysler have any control over the dealers presenting these 15, 30, 60, 90K service scams?

It seems like many people, myself included, try to avoid going to the dealer for any type service b/c they know the sales pitch that is coming. Being told that you need to have routine maintenance done at particular intervals that the manual does not recommend. Last time I was at my local dealer I was quoted $650 for 30K service. At 30K the manual says that one thing should be replaced and that is the engine air filter. I didn't even ask what the $650 included b/c I just said no as I knew I did not need it. I have the 7yr/100K Maxcare and change my oil and the recommended items at the recommended intervals.

I know Chrysler will never address this and I'm sure it happens with other manufacturers as well, but this money grab is sad and I feel like a ton of people fall prey to it. Someone should be calling them out on this stuff.

Sorry for the rant.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 4,291
Thanks: 778
Thanked 568 Times in 453 Posts
Rep Power: 96051
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Service Interval Scams

It's a free market and the dealer service departments (and other service businesses) are not restricted from making their offers in whatever way works for their business plan. As vehicle owners, it's OUR responsibility to know what the manufacturer's recommended service schedule is and make decisions accordingly. That certainly doesn't make the behavior of many servicing entities respectable if they mislead someone, however. It's one thing to say that "this is our recommended service for this mileage" versus saying that these things are "required by the manufacturer", whether directly or in some round about way. Too much of the latter happens and I agree it's not right. And again, it's not just the Chrysler dealers who do this...other service businesses do it all the time because they know many vehicle owners don't have a clue about what the real requirements are...because they never read their owner's manual.

"RTFM" isn't just a funny saying...it's something folks actually need to start doing to avoid getting taken.
__________________
2012 GC Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus "shoes" - LED fogs and DRLs



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food, Photography
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim_in_PA For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 AM
Paullee01's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 451
Thanks: 20
Thanked 59 Times in 46 Posts
Rep Power: 7084
Paullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Service Interval Scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw1582 View Post
Does Chrysler have any control over the dealers presenting these 15, 30, 60, 90K service scams?

It seems like many people, myself included, try to avoid going to the dealer for any type service b/c they know the sales pitch that is coming. Being told that you need to have routine maintenance done at particular intervals that the manual does not recommend. Last time I was at my local dealer I was quoted $650 for 30K service. At 30K the manual says that one thing should be replaced and that is the engine air filter. I didn't even ask what the $650 included b/c I just said no as I knew I did not need it. I have the 7yr/100K Maxcare and change my oil and the recommended items at the recommended intervals.

I know Chrysler will never address this and I'm sure it happens with other manufacturers as well, but this money grab is sad and I feel like a ton of people fall prey to it. Someone should be calling them out on this stuff.

Sorry for the rant.
Funny you should mention this. Last time I went to the dealer I asked about upcoming maintenance schedule. The service writer told me besides changing AC, oil and air filter nothing major until 60,000 miles. Since I only have 18000 miles I didn't get into specifics, but he did say changing all fluids is one of the things that will be done. I'm also assuming brake pads etc. Just a guess but i'm figuring somewhere around $800.00? For me that will be years from now.
__________________
Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L, Tinted windows, Sill guards, Body molding, CXV running boards, WeatherTech window deflectors, Husky floor liners, Zeigler lifetime maxicare

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2016, 11:44 AM
baracuda's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 102
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 985
baracuda has disabled reputation
Re: Service Interval Scams

Part of the 30k service may be differential and transfer case fluids. I found 3 different intervals in different sources about the srt differentials. One says change at 30k, one says check, and the other says nothing. I went ahead and changed my own diffs and xfer case as a good measure. These are some expensive oils, about 120 bucks for them the best I could find online.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
baracuda's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 102
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 985
baracuda has disabled reputation
Re: Service Interval Scams

Woops fat finger ed my way into wrong subforum on the phone....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:20 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,343
Thanks: 253
Thanked 554 Times in 428 Posts
Rep Power: 30271
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Service Interval Scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
It's a free market and the dealer service departments (and other service businesses) are not restricted from making their offers in whatever way works for their business plan. As vehicle owners, it's OUR responsibility to know what the manufacturer's recommended service schedule is and make decisions accordingly. That certainly doesn't make the behavior of many servicing entities respectable if they mislead someone, however. It's one thing to say that "this is our recommended service for this mileage" versus saying that these things are "required by the manufacturer", whether directly or in some round about way. Too much of the latter happens and I agree it's not right. And again, it's not just the Chrysler dealers who do this...other service businesses do it all the time because they know many vehicle owners don't have a clue about what the real requirements are...because they never read their owner's manual.

"RTFM" isn't just a funny saying...it's something folks actually need to start doing to avoid getting taken.
and that is the problem Jim many if not most dealers(all manufacturers) will refer to this 15 30 60 90 crap as REQUIRED vs just something to suggest for severe service. and even if you do educate yourself and do refer to the owner manual they will come back at you with lines of crap about how the owners manual is wrong and you should listen to the dealer or best of all "it will void your warranty if you don't do what the dealer says". to compound that if you ever contact the manufactures directly, Jeep or others they will always reference you to the dealers for questions like maintenance and to solve your problems, they make people think the dealers are these trustworthy solve all gods in the sky, so what's the consumer to think. Now for you and I, enthusiasts and mechanical types their BS of course doesn't fly and never will but 98% of people are not enthusiasts or mechanical types they just drive the car. A situation where a consumer(non mechanical) tries to educate themselves on all this and goes in and is told by dealers that the manual maintenance schedules are not accurate and to do what the dealer says is just plain wrong. Fraud like this is rampant and it really should be policed better than it is. Deception can happen at any auto repair place but at a dealership when they contradict the manufactures maintenance schedules its especially wrong and that's more what im referring to here vs the standard fraud that can go on with private shops.
Just venting a bit it just makes me angry when im at the dealer and I over hear scenarios like this unfolding to good people. People that have taken time to educate themselves on the owners manual but may happen to not be a mechanical type.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:40 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,343
Thanks: 253
Thanked 554 Times in 428 Posts
Rep Power: 30271
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Service Interval Scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullee01 View Post
Funny you should mention this. Last time I went to the dealer I asked about upcoming maintenance schedule. The service writer told me besides changing AC, oil and air filter nothing major until 60,000 miles. Since I only have 18000 miles I didn't get into specifics, but he did say changing all fluids is one of the things that will be done. I'm also assuming brake pads etc. Just a guess but i'm figuring somewhere around $800.00? For me that will be years from now.
what is it they are doing at 60K miles? If you are a driver in normal conditions there is very very little scheduled maintenance prior to 100k according to the manufacturers schedule. oil changes, air filters, cabin filters, tire rotations that's about it other than checks. AC and brakes are not scheduled maintenance they are done when required. Ask your dealer what is required scheduled maintenance according to the manufacturer for your vehicle with normal use and see what his response is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 PM
tmw1582's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orland Park, IL
Posts: 122
Thanks: 9
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 2208
tmw1582 is on a distinguished road
Re: Service Interval Scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
and that is the problem Jim many if not most dealers(all manufacturers) will refer to this 15 30 60 90 crap as REQUIRED vs just something to suggest for severe service. and even if you do educate yourself and do refer to the owner manual they will come back at you with lines of crap about how the owners manual is wrong and you should listen to the dealer or best of all "it will void your warranty if you don't do what the dealer says". to compound that if you ever contact the manufactures directly, Jeep or others they will always reference you to the dealers for questions like maintenance and to solve your problems, they make people think the dealers are these trustworthy solve all gods in the sky, so what's the consumer to think. Now for you and I, enthusiasts and mechanical types their BS of course doesn't fly and never will but 98% of people are not enthusiasts or mechanical types they just drive the car. A situation where a consumer(non mechanical) tries to educate themselves on all this and goes in and is told by dealers that the manual maintenance schedules are not accurate and to do what the dealer says is just plain wrong. Fraud like this is rampant and it really should be policed better than it is. Deception can happen at any auto repair place but at a dealership when they contradict the manufactures maintenance schedules its especially wrong and that's more what im referring to here vs the standard fraud that can go on with private shops.
Just venting a bit it just makes me angry when im at the dealer and I over hear scenarios like this unfolding to good people. People that have taken time to educate themselves on the owners manual but may happen to not be a mechanical type.
I do agree with Jim that everyone needs to educate themselves and read the manual.

I also agree with silvermax that the tactics they use are meant to be deceptive and rip consumer's off. It is just unfortunate that you can't have a good working relationship with your dealer, in most cases, because you are constantly fighting off their deceptive sales pitches. I can't tell you how many emails I get telling me that my Jeep is due for service. When you send something like that I know a lot of people see that as required as opposed to suggested. Even though Jeep itself doesn't even request most of the stuff they send out for the vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,948
Thanks: 72
Thanked 264 Times in 236 Posts
Rep Power: 46197
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Service Interval Scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullee01 View Post
Funny you should mention this. Last time I went to the dealer I asked about upcoming maintenance schedule. The service writer told me besides changing AC, oil and air filter nothing major until 60,000 miles. Since I only have 18000 miles I didn't get into specifics, but he did say changing all fluids is one of the things that will be done. I'm also assuming brake pads etc. Just a guess but i'm figuring somewhere around $800.00? For me that will be years from now.
What does the Fine Manual say are the recommended actions?
... to reiterate Jim's point.

?Will be done?
Why?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,948
Thanks: 72
Thanked 264 Times in 236 Posts
Rep Power: 46197
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Service Interval Scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by baracuda View Post
Woops fat finger ed my way into wrong subforum on the phone....
What's funny is that you may have literally fat fingered your way astray.
Gad, I miss real smart phones with real keyboards for those of us with large digits and poor aim.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: bartlett,il
Posts: 133
Thanks: 14
Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 732
hemirt is on a distinguished road
Re: Service Interval Scams

on my 08 GC limited with Hemi, i took it into the dealer for oil change and plug change at 30000 mi, i was given a loaner and was picking it up the next night. I received a call the next morning saying the car was almost ready and he asked if i wanted all the other services. I asked what they were, radiator flush, transfer case flush, trans flush and front and rear axel flush. He said it would cost 1100.00, and i asked if the manual calls for all that and he said yes. I said ok if the manual calls for it since i have the lifetime powertrain warranty and also the bumper to bumper lifetime. When i got to the dealer that night, i saw my keys and said i was going out to the car. I brought the manual in and told him to show everything to me or call Chrysler and send a new manual. I paid the bill but had him write on it if it wasn't called for, i would get my money back. I received a *00,00 check and no longer saw him there. So read the manual!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Paullee01's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 451
Thanks: 20
Thanked 59 Times in 46 Posts
Rep Power: 7084
Paullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond reputePaullee01 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Service Interval Scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
what is it they are doing at 60K miles? If you are a driver in normal conditions there is very very little scheduled maintenance prior to 100k according to the manufacturers schedule. oil changes, air filters, cabin filters, tire rotations that's about it other than checks. AC and brakes are not scheduled maintenance they are done when required. Ask your dealer what is required scheduled maintenance according to the manufacturer for your vehicle with normal use and see what his response is.
Differential and transmission fluid
__________________
Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6L, Tinted windows, Sill guards, Body molding, CXV running boards, WeatherTech window deflectors, Husky floor liners, Zeigler lifetime maxicare

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Revised service interval for Aus & NZ? John47 Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ 37 11-07-2013 06:58 PM
Service Interval Question akasjl Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 18 11-21-2012 07:10 AM
car repair scams spiros Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 9 11-20-2012 02:54 PM
Service interval - limit RPM when at '0'..? Matt Grand Cherokee - WK 6 03-05-2010 03:27 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.