Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15??? - Page 11 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 06-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,948
Thanks: 72
Thanked 264 Times in 236 Posts
Rep Power: 46198
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPlzGo View Post
Add more electronic nannies....
And a little card that MUST be placed in the vehicle.

Too bad the affected models don't have a HUD that could display:

"PUT THE DAMN THING IN PARK AND SET THE BRAKE"

when the door is opened.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lstowell For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #122  
Old 06-21-2016, 11:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 63
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 341
Cowpig has disabled reputation
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthstarSRX View Post
Dan and Cowpig,

You guys have made your point over and over. BUT as this and other sites have shown it isn't a few people who have had this GC missed gear problem, its hundreds and hundreds. For everyone who says they have had a problem there are ten more who have experienced it and not said anything. If this shifter is problem free, why did Jeep change it in 2016? Answer that one.

Note the number of long time drivers who report the issue. There is likely an age difference behind some of this with boomers who didn't grow up playing joy stick video games and who don't text/tweet with their thumbs having more issues with this than gen X ers. That said we boomers can whip through the gears in a 4 speed while the Xers cannot even drive a stick. We are all different, so respect that difference. Judge Not Lest You Be Judged!
yes, and I'll continue to make the point. I'm not an x'er, I have driven all sorts of vehicles to include manual trans fire trucks and vehicles with PTO's etc. I haven't played a damn video game in about 15+ years, text only for work, and haven't ever logged on to twitter

just because you, and maybe a "few hundred" (hell, up it to a few thousand) have had a problem whether reported or not doesn't make it a real problem. Why did FCA change in 2016? Why does any product manufacturer change anything - again, its all about innovation and trying to sell more products. They tried this shifter, apparently even though they sold 1.1million it wasn't considered a sales boost so they returned to the old style for 16.

why is my making the opposing point 'not respecting your difference'? I'd say you telling me not to make the opposing point is not respecting my difference of opinion - the shifter is fine, the fix sounds okay too, and in fact now that I hear how it'll work I can see every other manufacturer doing the same thing (if driver is belted into the seat and opens the door nothing, if driver is unbelted and opens the door it auto-shifts to park). That would help solve all the other designs that fail simply because the driver is a moron and doesn't put it in park.

"judge not lest ye be judged"? so you don't believe in our entire legal system either?
__________________
member self-exiled
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 06-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 838
Thanks: 53
Thanked 154 Times in 103 Posts
Rep Power: 18868
protect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

FCA didnt change the shifter back in the MY16 because the MY15 shifter didnt bring a boost in sales. They changed the shifter because there was a clear issue with the way it was working.

Id be considered young (under 30), especially on this forum. I have all the latest tech and can pick up new technology relatively quickly. But this shifter has its issues. I, just like most people on this forum, have accidentally shifted into R or N when trying to put it into P. The shifter is not intuitive.

FCA made a decision for a new shifter because it looked cool and was a marketing gimmick. Now there are hundreds of accidents, multiple injuries, and 1 death because of the shifter (assuming that is the cause of death).

FCA went back to the standard shifter design because that is what people know and are comfortable with. Its a smart move on their part.
__________________
2015 Overland V6
Billet Silver
Advanced Tech
Mods: Gunvault, Rear Slush Mat, Tint, Valentine One, LED Fog lamps, Michelin Premier LTX

Previous Jeeps:
2007 & 2011 - Laredo
2014 - Limited

Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to protect1989 For This Useful Post:
  #124  
Old 06-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 431
Joshi is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Most other shifters, including the old manual shifters, provide a visual and tactile feedback as to what gear they were in simply by their position relative to their surrounding. The 14/15 WK2 has no such indication as it has only one position. There are light indicators, but if the sun is shining through the passenger window the indicators are impossible to read without shadowing the sunlight from them (both on the shifter and on the dash). Should one take the time to do this? Yes. Should one have to do this? No: in the heat of the moment of an emergency it is too easy to miss. That positional indication is very important. Couple the lack of positional indication with a shifting mechanism that is easier than most to shift into N (or R) when P is intended, and there is a problematic design. To avoid issue, I engage the emergency break whenever I park, but in an actual emergency I can see missing this step.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joshi For This Useful Post:
  #125  
Old 06-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 221
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1581
RFF111 is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

I am also 52 and have been in an early build 2014 Hemi and now a 2015 HA Hemi and have not ONE TIME had an issue with the shifter. Not once. I just don't understand the issue. I first apply the emergency brake, move it into P, and exit the car. Hasn't failed me once. I just don't get this. Oh, and go ahead and pull that lever for Bernie and his economic plan that simply is not workable on any level. Geez, and don't argue politics, I am in banking and understand on a very technical level the intrinsic flaws in what Bernie is espousing.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 06-21-2016, 01:51 PM
yoandry's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 100
Thanks: 5
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 272
yoandry is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

New update today.
Guys, I just came from my dealership and my adviser told me that the recall got a new update today. Software update that takes 4 hours. Appointment made for Friday. Call your dealer yo find out.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 849
Thanks: 23
Thanked 94 Times in 70 Posts
Rep Power: 2994
Snipe315 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by protect1989 View Post
FCA didnt change the shifter back in the MY16 because the MY15 shifter didnt bring a boost in sales. They changed the shifter because there was a clear issue with the way it was working.

Id be considered young (under 30), especially on this forum. I have all the latest tech and can pick up new technology relatively quickly. But this shifter has its issues. I, just like most people on this forum, have accidentally shifted into R or N when trying to put it into P. The shifter is not intuitive.

FCA made a decision for a new shifter because it looked cool and was a marketing gimmick. Now there are hundreds of accidents, multiple injuries, and 1 death because of the shifter (assuming that is the cause of death).

FCA went back to the standard shifter design because that is what people know and are comfortable with. Its a smart move on their part.
Exactly.

I'm over half a century old & have never encountered an automatic transmission shifter this unintuitive. It isn't a "bad" design overall. But it is a step in the Wrong Direction IMHO.


Dan and Cowpig seems to refuse to accept the FACT that FCA acknowledged a problem with these shifters. It was FCA that issued the safety recall & stopped all sales. It was FCA that changed the design on the 2016+ vehicles.
__________________
2015 WK2 Overland 4x4 V8, Granite Exterior/Black Interior, ORA II, Advance Tech Package, Rear Seat DVD/Blu-ray
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snipe315 For This Useful Post:
  #128  
Old 06-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,948
Thanks: 72
Thanked 264 Times in 236 Posts
Rep Power: 46198
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszwestko View Post
Shifters you mentioned have P button Jeeps doesn't. Get lost you paid for by Jeep troll.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
He is getting PAID?
How much?
How do I get in on this?!?!
Where do I apply?

I'm 72 and have no problem figuring out the difference between park and reverse [which is what you usually get if you take your thumb off the button too early] or neutral on the shifter. Possibly just old school, when in a vehicle PAY FREAKIN ATTENTION
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lstowell For This Useful Post:
  #129  
Old 06-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,948
Thanks: 72
Thanked 264 Times in 236 Posts
Rep Power: 46198
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFF111 View Post
I am also 52 and have been in an early build 2014 Hemi and now a 2015 HA Hemi and have not ONE TIME had an issue with the shifter. Not once. I just don't understand the issue. I first apply the emergency brake, move it into P, and exit the car. Hasn't failed me once. I just don't get this. Oh, and go ahead and pull that lever for Bernie and his economic plan that simply is not workable on any level. Geez, and don't argue politics, I am in banking and understand on a very technical level the intrinsic flaws in what Bernie is espousing.
It is extremely unpatriotic of you to take away income from all those liability lawyers by actually assuming a small modicum of personal responsibility when in and around an object that weighs 2.5 tons and is potentially lethal in many ways if not operated with the respect it warrants.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lstowell For This Useful Post:
  #130  
Old 06-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 63
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 341
Cowpig has disabled reputation
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe315 View Post
Exactly.

I'm over half a century old & have never encountered an automatic transmission shifter this unintuitive. It isn't a "bad" design overall. But it is a step in the Wrong Direction IMHO.


Dan and Cowpig seems to refuse to accept the FACT that FCA acknowledged a problem with these shifters. It was FCA that issued the safety recall & stopped all sales. It was FCA that changed the design on the 2016+ vehicles.
yet you test drove it and bought it (and no, there is no stop/sale)

I don't refuse to accept that FCA issued a recall, or that NHTSA saw an issue, but I do refuse to accept it was an inherently bad design/unsafe design - else how did over a million people decide it was worth spending a large sum of money on?

FCA is in the business of making money with minimal product liability, the 14/15 shifter was an innovation that worked at the time (and still does), but as a business they'd be silly to look at it and say "well, this new shifter only causes a problem 1:27,000 times, the old one only caused a problem 1:500,000 times, but lets just stay with the new shifter" If I were a money making enterprise, I'd also just give up and go back to the old shifter (dumb it down for the masses).

Just because a recall was issued does not automatically equate to a bad design, and neither does it absolve operators from being conscientious enough to verify their vehicle is in park before exiting. If I were making 'widgets' and 1:100million caused an injury, and I had a method of making it 1:500million without causing major losses to my company, of course I'd make the change. Does that mean it was a bad design? No, but could it be better, yes. Innovation and evolution; some of it works and some of it doesn't, but I'm glad they keep trying new things (remember how scary airbags were when they first came out? Or microwave ovens blasting everyone with nuclear radiation?)
__________________
member self-exiled
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 06-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1431
Dcbullets has a reputation beyond reputeDcbullets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpig View Post
yet you test drove it and bought it (and no, there is no stop/sale)

I don't refuse to accept that FCA issued a recall, or that NHTSA saw an issue, but I do refuse to accept it was an inherently bad design/unsafe design - else how did over a million people decide it was worth spending a large sum of money on?

FCA is in the business of making money with minimal product liability, the 14/15 shifter was an innovation that worked at the time (and still does), but as a business they'd be silly to look at it and say "well, this new shifter only causes a problem 1:27,000 times, the old one only caused a problem 1:500,000 times, but lets just stay with the new shifter" If I were a money making enterprise, I'd also just give up and go back to the old shifter (dumb it down for the masses).

Just because a recall was issued does not automatically equate to a bad design, and neither does it absolve operators from being conscientious enough to verify their vehicle is in park before exiting. If I were making 'widgets' and 1:100million caused an injury, and I had a method of making it 1:500million without causing major losses to my company, of course I'd make the change. Does that mean it was a bad design? No, but could it be better, yes. Innovation and evolution; some of it works and some of it doesn't, but I'm glad they keep trying new things (remember how scary airbags were when they first came out? Or microwave ovens blasting everyone with nuclear radiation?)
It was a bad design and you've got no tact or class.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dcbullets For This Useful Post:
  #132  
Old 06-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 63
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 341
Cowpig has disabled reputation
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbullets View Post
It was a bad design and you've got no tact or class.
fantastic response - quoted to preserve it for posterity
__________________
member self-exiled
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shifter cover for the 8-speed "T" shifter Rule62 Interior/Exterior/Visual 4 12-03-2014 12:18 AM
Help Please - 2011 Grand Cherokee Order Option Question - Confusion Dougcjohn Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 3 01-27-2011 04:08 PM
So much confusion bozer Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 09-28-2010 10:37 AM
Overland QTII, Select Trac, & Quadra Lift confusion. Sir Bean Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 41 08-27-2010 10:40 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.