Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15??? - Page 6 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 06-20-2016, 06:18 PM
Lightninrod's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Warner Robins Ga
Posts: 451
Thanks: 541
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 1436
Lightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Even if it was in Park, it was on a steep grade. I was taught that in that situation, the parking/emergency brake should be applied.

Sorry, but it wasn't the Jeep's fault.

__________________
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7L V8, 2WD, AFE Dry drop in air filter, Quadratec mats, Sprint Booster, and Blastinbob's axleback exhaust
Build date: 9/4/12
Bought 01/27/15 with 47,200 miles
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #62  
Old 06-20-2016, 06:35 PM
ElLobo's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 36
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1002
ElLobo is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
Even if it was in Park, it was on a steep grade. I was taught that in that situation, the parking/emergency brake should be applied.

Sorry, but it wasn't the Jeep's fault.
In my '13 the parking brake is a joke, and it is no better in the newer JGCs I've rented. I doubt mine would hold on a steep grade in neutral, though it may serve to emit some warning noise.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 379
Thanks: 5
Thanked 64 Times in 55 Posts
Rep Power: 6057
imprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeimprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeimprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeimprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeimprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeimprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeimprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeimprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeimprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeimprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeimprezziveWK2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Bet that dude is pissed he didn't buy a Porsche or Range Rover lol... Plenty of money and he chose the Grand Cherokee with the suicide shifter

My Grand Cherokee's new custom plate is cling on
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-20-2016, 07:31 PM
SNUKE's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 3,901
Thanks: 139
Thanked 547 Times in 425 Posts
Rep Power: 7442
SNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

I will say what I said when a JG user told of a similar issue a year or so ago; why do so many people not use their Park Brake? It is designed for a specific reason, use it for yours and others safety every time you park the car. It is not an emergency brake to be used in an emergency, it is a parking brake to be used while parked.

Edit: of course maybe he did, but did not engage it enough, hence it held for a little while.
__________________
I'm just want it for the "shorter headlamps".

MY14 GC Limited, 3.0 CRD, Lux II, Granite Crystal, 18" Wheels, Tubular Side Steps.
Could I get my avatar much larger?
Ordered: July 7 2013 Delivered Nov 25th
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Benn0's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,104
Thanks: 105
Thanked 334 Times in 262 Posts
Rep Power: 18750
Benn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElLobo View Post
In my '13 the parking brake is a joke, and it is no better in the newer JGCs I've rented. I doubt mine would hold on a steep grade in neutral, though it may serve to emit some warning noise.
Mine holds fine, if it didn't it wouldn't pass road worthy and wouldn't legally be allowed to be driven on public roads.

It will be interesting to see if the park brake was engaged.

As someone said earlier, it may be that the hill start assist held the car for a few seconds while he got out of the car, but then let go. It is unfortunate, but if he didn't apply the park brake (e-brake) then it is user error, IMO.

I have been caught out by not shifting into Park a few times recently, what I noticed is that if my thumb slips off the button as I push the shifter forward it remains in N. But I also notice there is a tactile feedback, there are subtle clicks as it goes through each position. I noticed it wasn't in P because I didn't feel the normal click-click-click come back through the shifter. Looked down straight away and saw it was in N. If you are in a hurry you may jump out of the car anyway, but the fail safe should be the park brake. Maybe some people need a fail safe for the fail safe.
__________________
MY14 Grand Cherokee LTD CRD - ORA2 & QL | Mopar 18" Night Fever Rims & Rock Rails | Chief Recovery Hooks & Sump Skid Plate | STMaxx 275/65R18
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 68
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 396
Cowpig has disabled reputation
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

another thing i've learned after a lifetime in public safety ... bad things happen to good people. Sometimes it is just 'chance' at how opposing forces come together to send someone into eternity.

"valor is of no consequence, chance rules all, and often the bravest of men fall by the hands of cowards" ~ Tacitus

if there really is a design flaw (ie; not 1:1,000,000 or whatever tiny percentage of incidents:vehicle units in operation it really is) then absolutely FCA should make us whole ... but if it's largely operator error (stupidity/inattention) I don't see that as an FCA problem.

fwiw, I just took delivery of mine friday ... so there is/was no freeze per my dealership, though another dealer in Arizona refused to sell any of their 2015's. I put that more on stupid lawyers than reality, everyone in this country is litigious and our tort laws are pure idiocy so I can't blame them for being scared. Sad this country is screwed by people who never bear any responsibility for their own actions, somebody else is to blame and must pay.
__________________
'15 WK2 Diesel 4x4 ORII, Nitto TG2 275/65r18, BORA 1"f/1.25"r adapters, RRO super sliders
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:13 PM
GoPlzGo's Avatar
formerly 14summithemi
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,254
Thanks: 369
Thanked 583 Times in 487 Posts
Rep Power: 25723
GoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpig View Post
another thing i've learned after a lifetime in public safety ... bad things happen to good people. Sometimes it is just 'chance' at how opposing forces come together to send someone into eternity.

"valor is of no consequence, chance rules all, and often the bravest of men fall by the hands of cowards" ~ Tacitus

if there really is a design flaw (ie; not 1:1,000,000 or whatever tiny percentage of incidents:vehicle units in operation it really is) then absolutely FCA should make us whole ... but if it's largely operator error (stupidity/inattention) I don't see that as an FCA problem.

fwiw, I just took delivery of mine friday ... so there is/was no freeze per my dealership, though another dealer in Arizona refused to sell any of their 2015's. I put that more on stupid lawyers than reality, everyone in this country is litigious and our tort laws are pure idiocy so I can't blame them for being scared. Sad this country is screwed by people who never bear any responsibility for their own actions, somebody else is to blame and must pay.
I agree with your sentiment but FWIW there is, and has been, a definite documented Stop-Sale order in effect for ALL new 14/15 JGC's since th NHTSA imposed it 4/27/16....just because a dealer chose to imperil their dealership does not negate the freeze, it just cements their stupidity. FCA even reminded the dealers in their 6/13/16 recall instructions....
__________________
'15 JGC SRT Bright White Red Vapor...Borla ATAK Cat-back w/ ceramic coated axle-back, aFe Momentum GT Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake & Billet Tech Oil Catch Can
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:21 PM
Dan JGC's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,595
Thanks: 22
Thanked 210 Times in 156 Posts
Rep Power: 5818
Dan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

We don't know what was all going on at the time - distractions, drinking, who knows.... Obviously on such a steep grade being attentive and extra precautions are warranted.
__________________
•|||||||• 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 V8 in Bright White Clear Coat exterior with Grand Canyon Jeep Brown interior. •|||||||•
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 68
Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 396
Cowpig has disabled reputation
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

well, it is what it is

i find it fascinating that people bought these vehicles, lots of them, presumably after having test driven them. Then there have been what, 41 out of 1.1 million that had a problem with the trans *shifter* resulting in injury or death? For chrissake that's such a tiny percentage, yet people are now bailing on these vehicles as if they were infected with plague and locusts were swarming the occupants. This isn't a flaw that wasn't immediately apparent to those buying, this was a design that was readily obvious - incredibly obvious in fact - to all that chose to purchase the vehicle before they even made that choice ... but once again it's an 'after the fact' issue that I think most think will net them a new 2017 for no cost. In reality it'll result in some stupid "fix" that makes it worse, but will satisfy the courts and end the FCA liability (so again, lawyers win).

a brief glance at the display = problem ****ing solved. Americans need to be assured they'll never die. This is life, nobody gets out alive, deal with it.
__________________
'15 WK2 Diesel 4x4 ORII, Nitto TG2 275/65r18, BORA 1"f/1.25"r adapters, RRO super sliders
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10
Thanks: 6
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 229
mattpeyton is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Was just talking about this at dinner. I have a 2014 Jeep grand Cherokee. The second week I had it In a space and missed park for neutral. I had literally just come back from having bully bars installed on the front end and they did exactly what they're supposed to. Cost me 1200 bucks. I've gotten used to copy my hand around the shifter and doublechecking but it's very hard to see the lit up icon on the shifter stem and often the dashboard display is blocked by the steering wheel. I feel for this kid I know exactly how he died…

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpig View Post
well, it is what it is

i find it fascinating that people bought these vehicles, lots of them, presumably after having test driven them. Then there have been what, 41 out of 1.1 million that had a problem with the trans *shifter* resulting in injury or death? For chrissake that's such a tiny percentage, yet people are now bailing on these vehicles as if they were infected with plague and locusts were swarming the occupants. This isn't a flaw that wasn't immediately apparent to those buying, this was a design that was readily obvious - incredibly obvious in fact - to all that chose to purchase the vehicle before they even made that choice ... but once again it's an 'after the fact' issue that I think most think will net them a new 2017 for no cost. In reality it'll result in some stupid "fix" that makes it worse, but will satisfy the courts and end the FCA liability (so again, lawyers win).

a brief glance at the display = problem ****ing solved. Americans need to be assured they'll never die. This is life, nobody gets out alive, deal with it.


With all due respect and for the 10 minutes I drove it at the dealer I didn't notice that there was a serious problem. Then, as I said in my post, I had exactly the problem this kid did. I'm 52 years old and have been driving since I was 17. It's not an intuitive shifter it's very easy to miss the positive "clunk" of Park.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 21
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 272
Sammydavis is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

People that can't figure out how to use this shifter probably voted for Trump.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-20-2016, 08:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10
Thanks: 6
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 229
mattpeyton is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter confusion --- not just GC 14/15???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammydavis View Post
People that can't figure out how to use this shifter probably voted for Trump.


Charming. It's not that it's not easy to figure out, it's that it's very easy to miss a shift and not see the little display in bright sunlight.. As I mentioned in my previous post I'm 52, have had 10 cars in my life and drive 15,000 miles a year. Also interested in voting for Bernie if I get the chance… Again.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shifter cover for the 8-speed "T" shifter Rule62 Interior/Exterior/Visual 4 12-03-2014 12:18 AM
Help Please - 2011 Grand Cherokee Order Option Question - Confusion Dougcjohn Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 3 01-27-2011 04:08 PM
So much confusion bozer Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 09-28-2010 10:37 AM
Overland QTII, Select Trac, & Quadra Lift confusion. Sir Bean Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 41 08-27-2010 10:40 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.